• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is GMSC C.A.R.B legal?

I plan on buying a supercharger (comptech or gruppe m) in September and was doing a little research on the two units. The main concern for me is the smog restrictions of California, then performance, because I'd hate to have to remove a BBSC unit or turbo set-up just to be able to get smogged. After reading numerous posts about Gruppe-M vs. Comptech, I think I prefer the Gruppe-M unit for many reasons. It all comes down to passing smog, and I noticed that Alex V. is located in California and if he passed smog with the GMSC installed? I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I get, but I'd like to know all the facts first before spending 8-10k for one. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

[This message has been edited by NSXkid (edited 05 August 2002).]

I thought the BBSC was going to be CARB approved? I'm not sure when, but this might be something you should check with Mark Basch about.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Currently, only the Comptech Supercharger is CARB Legal. I wouldn't hold your breath for any of the other forced induction units whether superchargers or Turbocharged to get CARB approved because it is very time consuming and expensive to do so and difficult to justify the expenses/time with such a small market. The best thing to do is to wait until your smog is due and get the supercharger/turbo installed and you'll have 2 years until you have to uninstall and re-smog.

If you are interested in the Comptech Supercharger, please call us or e-mail us for a private quote. We have special pricing right now and will beat any legitimate quotes. We also sell the GruppeM Supercharger.

Originally posted by NSXkid:
I plan on buying a supercharger (comptech or gruppe m) in September and was doing a little research on the two units. The main concern for me is the smog restrictions of California, then performance, because I'd hate to have to remove a BBSC unit or turbo set-up just to be able to get smogged. After reading numerous posts about Gruppe-M vs. Comptech, I think I prefer the Gruppe-M unit for many reasons. It all comes down to passing smog, and I noticed that Alex V. is located in California and if he passed smog with the GMSC installed? I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I get, but I'd like to know all the facts first before spending 8-10k for one. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

[This message has been edited by NSXkid (edited 05 August 2002).]

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 05 August 2002).]

ACR_Motorsports,

Don't you think it's just a tad presumptuous to speak for someone else?

NSXkid or anyone else.... Check these links....As you can see CARB approval for the BBSC was something that was obviously discussed some time ago and perhaps it's closer along (or not)...so if you're interested in a BBSC you should drop Mark Basch a line and cut straight to the chase.

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003329.html
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003576.html

-Jim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 05 August 2002).]

Thanks for the quick responses. Supposedly the BBSC is going to be a CARB legal kit, but I don't know when it's going to be available. Pretty sure it's been under testing for quite a while. That would definitely be a consideration as well depending on when it is available. I'm going to take a ride in the Comptech car sometime in the next few weeks to get a feel of what their unit does... probably will love it, but I think it's one of those things where you have to feel each one to make a decision like listening to exhausts in person. I may even wait until December to get smogged again and then put on w/e supercharger I go with. That would make a good winter project!
biggrin.gif
Thanks again

Driving in each of the candidates is certainly a good idea. I've driven in each and although I'm not yet ready to take the leap, it certainly gave me another perspective on the matter.

There's more about these things than pure performance - although that's the obvious point of the matter, isn't it?

However, there's design aspects, noise, fit and finish, maintenance, warranty, tech support, extensibility (i.e. aftercoolers, intercoolers), appearance, and many other factors to consider.

Each person should look at these factors and rate them accordingly. I'm sure each product has pros and cons.

As a design engineer - I happen to like the elegant approach taken by Mark with his BBSC. I like the way it's packaged, I definately like the performance, I like the price, and I like the reputation of the designer. But those are my factors and you need to arrive at your own decision. Hopefully, MB will have some good news about the CARB approval so you'll be able to make your decision based on other more interesting issues.

Regards,
Jim

------------------

Extensibility is one of the more important factors in the purchase. That's what I like about the GMSC and BBSC. Both will be offering an intercooler and aftercooler, well GMSC is an inter and BBSC is an after. I'm pretty sure the only thing you can do to the CTSC unit is upgrade to the 9psi kit. In terms of the CARB legal issue, is it really possible to simply return to the stock pulley belt and instantly be smog legal again? I've heard about that happening in a few cases, but it seems like the smog personal would have to be completely oblivious to the NSX motor by not seeing the GMSC and all its tubes where as the CTSC looks like it belongs on the engine and came stock. There's also the visual check where they need to see the CARB Legal sticker on the unit. Definitely many factors to consider. I think I'm leaning more towards low end torque to mid rather than mid-top...

I think low-to-mid performance (as opposed to mid-to-high) would tend to imply a turbo solution. However, from what I've seen with the blow-off valve on the BBSC, the power comes on much earlier and is very linear.

All I can say is to drive (or drive in) one. In the BBSC-equipped car I drove in...everything happens so fast. It is one powerful car and there's no time to think about low-end, mid-end, high-end...it's just there!!

One thing I've noticed and learned...it's all too easy to get wrapped up in theory on these things. Theory is good, but it should be tempered with real-world experience.

The BBSC I rode in was a few months ago and the recent changes have made it even better. But that car was so fast anyway.

Drive them all....

------------------

I don't want to mess with turbos, as I would like to retain my JGTC exhaust and DC Headers, but I definitely plan on driving or riding in them all. It's just a matter of finding people with each type of supercharger... I was just thinking what it must feel like to be in control of a 12psi GMSC with low compression and forged pistons or for that matter a stock BBSC system...must be an awesome feeling
eek.gif

i really want to get the Comp SC but cant justify spending almost 10k including installation. i guess i will have to wait a little bit longer for the price to drop down the the 5-6k range.

I don't think the CTSC will ever be priced that low.

Although you might find a used one at that price.

-Jim

------------------

NSXKid... you live less than 60 miles from me, and I work closely with Gruppe M and Alex V regarding products for the NSX.

If you are up for the drive, come down to the bay area and you can drive my Gruppe M for yourself. Im a firm believer in "trying" before "buying" .. and you're more than welcome to come "try" it out for yourself.

If you want to try a BBSC and 9psi Comptech as well give me some notice and I'll call Mike and Brian and get the 3 together in a line for you to check out.

No better way to decide than seeing/riding/driving them in person.

Just drop me an e-mail...

-B

If Comptech sells the kit for $8900, you should be able to get it for $7900. $7900 vs. $6500 for the BBSC.

Originally posted by BoneZ:
NSXKid... you live less than 60 miles from me, and I work closely with Gruppe M and Alex V regarding products for the NSX.

If you are up for the drive, come down to the bay area and you can drive my Gruppe M for yourself. Im a firm believer in "trying" before "buying" .. and you're more than welcome to come "try" it out for yourself.

If you want to try a BBSC and 9psi Comptech as well give me some notice and I'll call Mike and Brian and get the 3 together in a line for you to check out.

No better way to decide than seeing/riding/driving them in person.

Just drop me an e-mail...

-B

I have a better solution with more thrills, bragging rights and ample smiles ............ show up at our 9/3 NSX exclusive Thunderhill track event
wink.gif

Just did a quick-and-dirty search on the CARB site. It appears that CTSC is currently the only CARB exempted (certified, if you like) SC kit (std kit only, high boost kit is not CARB exempted) and it further appears that there are NO exempted turbo kits. I envy you lucky folks outside of CA who don't have to deal with CARB - your options are many, our [lawful] options are few...

Each individual station operator may have varying degrees of sophistication, but a properly installed, CARB stickered CTSC install should have no problem. Otherwise, take it to the referee and point out this EO - problem solved:

D-455-4
----------
5/24/99 Comptech Machine
-------------------
Supercharger System
-------------------
1991-99 Acura NSX equipped with either the 3.0 or 3.2 liter engine The NSX Supercharger Package includes the following major parts: Whipple 6 psi. supercharger with an intake assembly, 3.8" diameter supercharger pulley (applicable to the 3.2 liter engine), 4.2" diameter supercharger pulley (applicable to the 3.0 liter engine), crankshaft pulley (same diameter as stock), in line fuel pump, PROM chip for 1991-1994 models only, and all necessary

I forgot to add that my Gruppe M has passed Smog with no problems. Its not CARB certified but I had zero problems getting it smogged, even on the visual.

I had a harder time getting past the visual with the NOS, than I did with the Gruppe M... It just depends on the tech in most cases and how picky they want to be.

-B

Back