• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the 1st Gear rev limit 7400 or something? why?

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
Just curious about why the first gear got a differnt rev limit...

Do you have a manual or an automatic? Auto gearbox does 7400 revs max.

Gerard

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
I mean when the car is at neutral.. mine is a manual.. the rev hits the top around 7400

I wouldn't "free-rev" your motor to redline very often. I've been told that doing so can be harmful as there is no load on the engine.

I try revving my TL-S to redline in neutral before, and the thing cuts off at around 4800rpm, well before redline on the TL-S. I imagine the NSX would be similiar.

As stated by TheSwishh, until the temperature is up to operational temperatures it will not rev to redline. The computer limits the rpm. Make sure the car is fully warmed up and then check it out. I am sure that the “problem” will be gone.

I've noticed that all the newer Honda motors from 1997+ (it could be earlier), have incorporated a new rev-limiter when the car is in neutral (or "park" for the automatics).

I've only tried it in the automatic Honda/Acura machines... but I wouldn't be surprised if they put the same safety feature in the manuals. (I haven't tried it in my NSX.)

Mine is a 1992, and it doesn't go any higher then ~7400 in neutral, nor Vtec comes in (i think).

Honda engineers designed the rev limiter to cut in earlier when the car is not moving, when the engine is cold, when the engine is too hot, etc.

Why, you ask? For the same reason parents of small children install locks on their cabinets and plastic covers over their electrical outlets.

I love you guys! I really do.. all this time I thought I had a "Tempermental Bitch" because she needed to warm up to run past 7,000 in first!

Thanks for making me feel better about my car!

Back