• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

JDM NSX swap cost?

This is my guess.

First, I assume you're referring to the rear half of the car (the engine/tranny, fenders, exhaust, etc) - maybe including the interior (?), maybe not.

I would suspect that no one is going to want the entire half car, unless you're REALLY lucky to find someone who was REALLY unlucky and had his NSX rear demolished. Or, if you're willing to sell it to someplace like ERZ Motors which specializes in NSX salvaging. Otherwise, it depends on the value of the parts when sold individually. Some parts are going to fetch more than others.

The Type R was a model in Japan only in '93-95, as described in the FAQ here. The engine is basically the same as the USM 3.0-liter engine. A 3.2-liter engine will sell for much more than the 3.0-liter, not only because of the extra 20 hp, but also because there are so many more 3.0-liter engines around (greater supply, lower demand). The tranny is like a USM five-speed to which short gears and the 4.24 R&P have been added. I've heard of used 3.0-liter five-speed drivetrains (engine plus trans) reselling for $5K complete but I don't know how accurate that is. The shorter gearing may add $1K to the value.

Other items are likely to resell for similar to stock. Parts that are frequently replaced with aftermarket (e.g. exhaust) are probably not worth that much since there are lots of stock take-offs around. Parts that are lighter than stock or beefier (e.g. swaybar) than stock may sell at a premium. The taillight assembly would be desirable by someone who wants to replace his Acura badges with Honda ones. Other body parts will depend on finding someone who's looking for exactly that part.

Sorry that I can't give you exact prices on specific items, but most of these things aren't generally traded often, so it's difficult to impossible to determine fair prices.

The one you are looking at is not a Type R despite what they claim. They don't even have it, but rather have access to it if they can find a buyer before someone else does.

Anyway, as nsxtasy said, it depends on what is included and whether or not you need all those pieces or are willing and able to sell of what you don't need.

Actually, the Type-R 3.0 Engine is worth more than a standard U.S. 3.2 liter engine.
The Type-R engine is blueprinted and although Honda states its power output is 270hp, it is in fact actually higher. I have been told in actual hp numbers may be around 300-310hp. There is also a few differences inside the engine, for example, the valve retainers are titanium instead steel. The blueprinting process also makes the engine even more reliable under aggressive use and can achieve a higher rev limit. It is also a very time consuming and expensive process. The limited slip differential is also different. It is twice as stiff as stock, and allows for more power to be put down on high speed corners. Brand new Type-R differentials are around $2500-$2800. There are also a slew of other Type-R specific parts that are not very well known, but contribute to the speed of the Type-R at the track.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
This is my guess.

First, I assume you're referring to the rear half of the car (the engine/tranny, fenders, exhaust, etc) - maybe including the interior (?), maybe not.

I would suspect that no one is going to want the entire half car, unless you're REALLY lucky to find someone who was REALLY unlucky and had his NSX rear demolished. Or, if you're willing to sell it to someplace like ERZ Motors which specializes in NSX salvaging. Otherwise, it depends on the value of the parts when sold individually. Some parts are going to fetch more than others.

The Type R was a model in Japan only in '93-95, as described in the FAQ here. The engine is basically the same as the USM 3.0-liter engine. A 3.2-liter engine will sell for much more than the 3.0-liter, not only because of the extra 20 hp, but also because there are so many more 3.0-liter engines around (greater supply, lower demand). The tranny is like a USM five-speed to which short gears and the 4.24 R&P have been added. I've heard of used 3.0-liter five-speed drivetrains (engine plus trans) reselling for $5K complete but I don't know how accurate that is. The shorter gearing may add $1K to the value.

Other items are likely to resell for similar to stock. Parts that are frequently replaced with aftermarket (e.g. exhaust) are probably not worth that much since there are lots of stock take-offs around. Parts that are lighter than stock or beefier (e.g. swaybar) than stock may sell at a premium. The taillight assembly would be desirable by someone who wants to replace his Acura badges with Honda ones. Other body parts will depend on finding someone who's looking for exactly that part.

Sorry that I can't give you exact prices on specific items, but most of these things aren't generally traded often, so it's difficult to impossible to determine fair prices.

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 26 March 2002).]

Originally posted by sjs:
The one you are looking at is not a Type R despite what they claim. They don't even have it, but rather have access to it if they can find a buyer before someone else does.

not correct, it is sitting at my distributors warehouse as we speak, and I am his only US distributor by contract.

I will try to obtain pics, etc within the next day-2.

------------------
www.jdmclub.com

Originally posted by marksaccord95:
not correct, it is sitting at my distributors warehouse as we speak, and I am his only US distributor by contract.

I will try to obtain pics, etc within the next day-2.

I apologize, and stand corrected. Isn’t the Web wonderful? Can you clear up the Type R question for us?

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 26 March 2002).]

Not to mention the goodies in the tranny (R&P, JDM short gears, diffy)...

The NSX-R should also have the special engine plate.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://sacramento.nsxca.org/Events/thunderhill_driving_school_4-02.htm

Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
The Type-R engine is blueprinted and although Honda states its power output is 270hp, it is in fact actually higher. I have been told in actual hp numbers may be around 300-310hp.
Plausible and possibly likely... IIRC, ALL Japanese manufacturers abided by the "gentleman's agreement" to limit "JDM brochure horsepower" to about 280 ps, regardless of actual output. As examples, the 300ZX-TT, Supra TT and Skyline GTR all made over what their respective JDM brochures suggest.

There is also a few differences inside the engine, for example, the valve retainers are titanium instead steel.
Plausible, if the engine was indeed intended to run hotter.

The blueprinting process also makes the engine even more reliable under aggressive use and can achieve a higher rev limit.
Yes, but I suspect that the increased tolerances would also require a more finicky maintenance schedule (shorter service intervals on some components, etc)

It is also a very time consuming and expensive process. That goes without saying
biggrin.gif

The limited slip differential is also different. It is twice as stiff as stock, and allows for more power to be put down on high speed corners.
This is a known difference... the (JDM) parts to update the regular LSD have long been available on the US market.

There are also a slew of other Type-R specific parts that are not very well known, but contribute to the speed of the Type-R at the track. Part of this includes significant weight reduction (deletion of comfort/amenity, soundproofing, etc), plus the SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer suspension setup (less compliant, harsher ride, etc), both of which can dramatically improve the NSX-Rs ability to corner.

Good luck in getting the parts over.

I'd also be interested in seeing how the new 3.2L Type S and Type R versions are setup.

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 27 March 2002).]

Back