• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Just bought NSX, have some questions!!!

Hey guys. I am new to this car and have some quick questions, that i thought you guys could help me with. The car is a brand new '00 NSX T 6 speed, siver/black.

First of all, I have to pay the dealership tommrrow,I got it for $5k under list (have many of you guys gotten your NSX under list?), and they want to know which accessories I want. But get this, they want $800 for the keyless entry and $1000 for the cd changer. Do all the dealers charge this or is it just them?

Since the cd changer is so pricey and the stereo is OK. I thought I would get a simple aftermarket system instead but I was wondering how you would go about fitting an aftermarket deck in the dash, cause the factory unit is oval shaped?

Also, I want to upgrade the rims. What size should I get for better looks and better handling? I am thinking 18's all around (instead of differnt sizes front/ rear). I dont want 20's or something huge, just something that will increase the looks and put a little more rubber on the road. Also, what is a good width to put on the front and rear?

And just one more question. I was talking with my dealer today about the comptech program they offer. I was interested in their supercharger kit. I was wondering, is this kit really worth $10k? This car is really fast as it is, will this kit make it "crazy" fast? I drove a 550 marrenello before i bought the NSX, and you can fell the extra 200hp on the freeway. Does anyone have any specs on this kit, like 0-60, 1/4 mile? Also, I remember reading an article in a magazine about the kit, anyone know which mag?

Thanks alot for letting my rabble on for so long. I hope to learn alot from this board and maybe contribute some (very little right now) of my knowledge. Later

Again congrats!

On the $1000 for the CD Changer, check the FAQ documents here. On my NSX, I bought a new Alpine CD and had it installed for about 1/3 that cost.

Acura uses the Alpine unit and swaps the pin outs. There is an accessory adapter that switches the cables around so it works.

You can either mount the unit with the factory bracket or Velcro the unit to the carpet in the trunk. The FAQ doc explains it in detail.

For my ears the CD sounded so much better than the tuner and since I listen mostly to CDs I decided to stick with the factory unit.

I also decided to stick with the factory system because I've never seen a NSX aftermarket install that looked like it was designed by Honda. Even the best installs look like an add-on to me.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

The car is a brand new '00 NSX T 6 speed, siver/black.

Congrats on your purchase of a '00 NSX-T...I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Silverstone's a beaut...had I seen it before going red, I might have ended up with silver myself.

I have to pay the dealership tommrrow,I got it for $5k under list

That sounds about the going rate these days. I got mine for around that back in March.

But get this, they want $800 for the keyless entry and $1000 for the cd changer. Do all the dealers charge this or is it just them?

That's what I was quoted as well. I even stated my bewilderment to the salesperson.

I made sure they were factored into the negotiated price so I didn't feel too ripped off. And I wasn't about to spend so much money for a car and NOT get those options.

Also, I want to upgrade the rims.

Am I the only one who likes the stock rims?
redface.gif

Welcome to the NSXperience...

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 02 October 2000).]

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure it will exceed all your expectations.

Regarding mods, I would suggest you live with the car for a few months before changing anything on it. Get to know it. See what you like about it, and where you think you'd like to make changes. No need to rush everything at once.

Once you decide on which areas you might like to change, the FAQ part of this website has a lot of information on mods, as well as just about everything else you can think of. There's a handy table of contents available at http://www.nsxprime.com/toc.htm

Since the cd changer is so pricey and the stereo is OK. I thought I would get a simple aftermarket system instead but I was wondering how you would go about fitting an aftermarket deck in the dash, cause the factory unit is oval shaped?

Also, I want to upgrade the rims. What size should I get for better looks and better handling? I am thinking 18's all around (instead of differnt sizes front/ rear). I dont want 20's or something huge, just something that will increase the looks and put a little more rubber on the road. Also, what is a good width to put on the front and rear?
[/B]

If you don't pick up the CD changer let me know as I might be replacing mine with an MPE player and put my CD up for sale.

Congrats! I also picked up a Y2K Silver T a couple of months ago. It looked so pretty in the showroom it made me understand what women see in expensive jewelry...

The dealer had already installed keyless and CD, and I got so pissed at them when they told me the price of keyless... but I think they decided it was easier to give it to me rather than taking it out to make the deal. Trying to negotiate that after the sale would not be as effective, of course.

I agree with others that recommend you learn and drive this car for a while before going for mods, then decide what if anything you want to improve. You'll likely find it very different to other rides.

So what do you think of the car so far?

How have you been Ralph? Do you still love the NSX as much as the day we got together? I'm sure you love it more....

By the way,M3 Power, I would not recommend changing your rims to all 18's. There is no reason to do this. Firstly, the reason that they are smaller from the factory is because there is no need for a bigger rim. A bigger rim in front will cost you in handling, weight and TCS performance.

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. Brand new classifieds and Message board. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

I'm also looking at getting a 2000 or 2001 NSX. I also had a '94 but it seems I got a fantastic deal, $12K off sticker price. I was hoping to get just a good deal on my 2000 or 2001. I would think you should be able to get more off sticker than $5K. Also, the Acura web site has the CD changer listing for $849 installed and the keyless entry $499 installed. What dealer did you purchase your NSX from? I think they're kinda on the high side. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Todd, how are things? I've been too busy to even drive my car much lately, but yes, the infatuation has settled into something closer to love by now. This may be the car I keep the longest yet...

Now if I could only talk my wife into trading her SUV for an M5 I'd consider my garage complete.. fat chance though.

You still going to drive to NSXExpo? I'm trying to arrange the time but not sure if I can pull it off. Think it'd be worth it to fly to Atlanta for a couple of days? (but then I couldn't participate in any drives)

Congrats M3 Power. You made a better decision than you know. It's a F355 without any of the headaches!

I went with 17/18" rims. With lower profile tires it did not cost the car too much performance. 18 all around is too aggressive for the NSX. Stock is ideal. But I prefer the way 17/18 looks.

marc

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX 5spd
1999 Cosmos BMW M Coupe 5spd

Think it'd be worth it to fly to Atlanta for a couple of days? (but then I couldn't participate in any drives)

Yes. The only thing you'll really miss will be the track event. You'll be able to find an open passenger seat for the drive in the mountains, and you'll be able to enjoy all the stuff like the seminars, meals, entertainment, etc.

Just make sure you sign up right away because registration is going to close any day now (was extended for a few days from the Sept 29 deadline).

Hey Ralph, I'm not going to make it to NSXPO.. I'll be coming back from Cozumel on the morning of the 20th and didn't want to do the drive alone...(James, Kevin, Nelson, etc...will have already left). I'll make sure that someone takes a LONNNNGGG video of all the days.... and watch it later like the loser that I am.... Let's get together with some others soon for our own little NSXPO down around here..... See ya.

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. Brand new classifieds and Message board. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Originally posted by M3 Power:
First of all, I have to pay the dealership tommrrow,I got it for $5k under list (have many of you guys gotten your NSX under list?)

Well, congratulations. I got mine back in March. You got totally screwed on the price. I got mine for about $12,000 off MSRP. I also got EVERY option they made, floor mats, trunk mat, wheel locks, CD, keyless entry, car cover, etc. I got all of the accessories for about $2,000. The total for everything including destination and processing was only $82,000. The MSRP with every option was $92,000+.

they want to know which accessories I want. But get this, they want $800 for the keyless entry and $1000 for the cd changer. Do all the dealers charge this or is it just them?

It is up to each dealer as to what they want to charge for the accessories. They can even given them to you for free as in my case. They threw in a cover and the trunk mat for free. I would pass on all the options. The CD is crap. The keyless entry is worse! I only locks and unlocks the doors, makes no visible or audible warning and does not unlock the trunk. Unless mine is installed improperly, it is really bad.

I have seen some really hot professional insallations in the NSX, but you have to fabricate an entire dask piece custom to fit it. Most people opt for brushed aluminum or something like that. I frankly wouldn't waste the time in an aftermarket system. I just spent over $3,500 on a system for my Porsche 911, and it doesn't even sound half as good as the one in the NSX.

Also, I want to upgrade the rims. What size should I get for better looks and better handling? I am thinking 18's all around (instead of differnt sizes front/ rear). I dont want 20's or something huge, just something that will increase the looks and put a little more rubber on the road.

This is one instance where what we all learned on "the playground" about wheels and tires can get us in a lot of trouble. I would NOT suggest making any changes in wheel and tire sizes. If you want to cruise down the boulevard on some "dubs" then buy a Benz and put the 20" wheels on there. If you go 18" all the way around, you will only add reciprical weight to the car, slow acceleration, lower top speed and screw up the balance of handling.

I was interested in their supercharger kit. I was wondering, is this kit really worth $10k? This car is really fast as it is, will this kit make it "crazy" fast? I drove a 550 marrenello before i bought the NSX, and you can fell the extra 200hp on the freeway.

I think you have to ask yourself, how much is "enough" for you. I am struck by the fact that the speed limit is often still 55mph here in the US and that many states will let you go to 70 or even let you get away with 80... but brief stints above 100mph should be rare. I enjoy spending time at the track with mine so that 140 mph is not uncommon... in fact, it happens twice in a 2:30 second lap.
smile.gif
So, I think you have to ask yourself if you really are going to get any use out of the supercharger. Even 0-60 is already less than 5 seconds... who do you want to impress.??? Impress your accountant, and spend the money on tires ever 5,000 miles.
smile.gif

Have fun and enjoy the new toy. I love silver... it was my second choice.
smile.gif

Gordon G. Miller, III
2000 NSX-T #51
Yellow/Black

G-man,
Is that $82K out the door, including license and luxury and sales tax? If it is, you got more like $18-20K off MSRP! I'm looking at getting a new NSX, probably a 2001 when Honda starts making them, and I hope I get such a great deal also. What dealer did you get your new NSX from?

[This message has been edited by CChung (edited 15 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by CChung (edited 15 October 2000).]

Originally posted by CChung:
G-man,
Is that $82K out the door, including license and luxury and sales tax? If it is, you got more like $18-20K off MSRP! I'm looking at getting a new NSX, probably a 2001 when Honda starts making them, and I hope I get such a great deal also. What dealer did you get your new NSX from?

That did not include Luxury Tax of $7,000, but did include sales tax of $5,000 and all licensed and transfer and destination charges.
smile.gif
There was a $10,000 off incentive from Acura at that time. Not many people buying NSXs in February!
smile.gif
Keep a look out on the Acura website for lease deals. It was a deal I could not pass up. Ended up being $100 per month LESS than my $63,000 BMW 740i lease! Now when else can you buy a brand new NSX for $997 per month!

I bought mine from Brookfield Acura in Brookfiled Wisconsin. Talk to Bob Schwartz there, he will take care of you. Also, John Vasos is at that dealership and is known all over the US for his role in service. They even have 2 NSX only mechanics there that race their own awesomely modified NSXs! I will buy there again!

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Back