• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just called tire rack... Now i'm really confused

After my other thread I had pretty much decided on 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 SO's to go on my 17*8 and 18*10 tecno's. I thought i was calling to decide between tires (so3 versus the new RE55)

Well the guy from the tire rack tells me that he does not like the above front size and if i bought the tires from him he would not warrent them. He says that i should be buying a 215/45/17 in front. they say that they would warrent this size against rubbing, but i'm concerned as this front would be 1" in diameter larger then stock and 9/10's" larger then then the 215/40.

All i want to do is order tires, the more i learn the more i don't know.

HELP PLEASE

What should i do?

97CTSC said:
After my other thread I had pretty much decided on 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 SO's to go on my 17*8 and 18*10 tecno's. I thought i was calling to decide between tires (so3 versus the new RE55)

Well the guy from the tire rack tells me that he does not like the above front size and if i bought the tires from him he would not warrent them. He says that i should be buying a 215/45/17 in front. they say that they would warrent this size against rubbing, but i'm concerned as this front would be 1" in diameter larger then stock and 9/10's" larger then then the 215/40.

HELP PLEASE

What should i do?

Just order them that is the right size there are quite a few NSX owners with that set up including myself with no rubbing issues.

I don't know if you read my previous post , I have the same size tecno's you have, I have run 235/40/17 - 285/35/18 so2's worked great ,they fill the tire well nice. that is the size comtech originaly recomended. I even have my car lowered. I now use 235/40/17-275/35/18 so3's and have no problems except a little rubbing at full lock on the front, and it just rubbs the inner plastic , with now harm to the tire. I even run 245/40/17 slicks at the track, that might be when that little bit of rubbing accures. send me a e-mail if you have more questions. p.s. all my tires have been purchased thru tirerack

AaronR is a prime member here and works at tirerack. He helped me and is very knowledgable. pm him.

The person you spoke to at tirerack may have been inexperienced. I called tirerack once and the guy told me the size I was looking at wouldn't fit but sounded unconfident in his answer so I double checked with Aaron and it ended up with the first guy being wrong.

97CTSC said:
What should i do?
I would suggest you get Aaron involved. He's at the Tire Rack and owns an NSX. He normally services only wholesale accounts but can help NSX owners when something like this comes up. I'm sure he's aware that the 215/40-17 is the best front size for the NSX. Send him a PM; his NSXprime username is AaronR.

97CTSC said:
...Well the guy from the tire rack tells me that he does not like the above front size and if i bought the tires from him he would not warrent them. He says that i should be buying a 215/45/17 in front. they say that they would warrent this size against rubbing, but i'm concerned as this front would be 1" in diameter larger then stock and 9/10's" larger then then the 215/40.

What was the guys name you spoke with?

The person i spoke with was very helpful and was very confident with his information. so confident that the diameter difference between the 215/40/17 and the 265/35/18 would be a problem that he said he would no warrant it and strongly recommend against it. That is why he said the only way to get tire rack to stand behind the purchase is to use 215/45 in the front. I don't want to speak negatively about anyone, again he was really helpful. His name was Wes and he is at ext. 648.

Thanks

Tom

just wondering why everybody thinks 215/40/17 is the best tire size for nsx. I have alot of mods and like having as much rubber on the back as I can get for traction purposes, that's the main reason I run 235's--275's. I'm interested to hear coments.

black91nsx said:
just wondering why everybody thinks 215/40/17 is the best tire size for nsx. I have alot of mods and like having as much rubber on the back as I can get for traction purposes, that's the main reason I run 235's--275's. I'm interested to hear coments.

One reason is that 215/40-17 is the stock size for the 2002-204 NSX. Another reason is that it's the largest size you can run without rubbing too much.

black91nsx said:

I have 235s on my 17x8s in the front for the track and they do rub at full lock so that's my reason for 215s for the street.

215/40/17 is the closest size to match the height of stock wheel/tire. The 215/45/17 is simply too tall. I have used this 215/40/17 for all my 3 NSXs with absolutely no problem. I am currently using 225/40/17s in front and they rub.
Steve

I have to disagree with the comment that the 215 is the largest size that you can go with that wouldn't cause too much rubbing.

I have had 225/35/17 on my car lowered with H&R springs and there was no rubbing at all, and yes it was on the same wheel that we're talking about here, the Tecnos.

If you want the widest possible tire on the car without any rubbing or TCS issues then it will be with 225/35/17 and 285/30/18, on the Tecnos of course. This is the size Comptech recommended, or so I've been told.

I strongly feel that the 215/40-17 is a much better choice than a 225 tire or 235 tire. Its outer diameter is very close to the '94-01 stock outer diameter; in fact, 215/40-17 is the stock front size for the '02-04 NSX. And a lot more owners are using it without any problems than any other 17" front size. With the 225 or 235 treadwidth, there are some owners who claim they have no problems with rubbing, but a lot of other owners who have reported rubbing ranging from minor to major.

It sounds like "Wes" doesn't know anything about the NSX. You might want to ask for Alex at the Tire Rack. He should be a bit more knowledgeable. Maybe he can "educate" Wes...

Sorry guys but I am slammed today so I didn't get a chance to go throught the thread, just a quick glance. I have passed all email's and PM's on to Alex here at the Tirerack. Alex is at 800.428.8355 x294 and will be happy to answer any and all of your questions. Many of you here on the forum have had the chance to chat with Alex and know he is very familliar with the NSX. The one burning question in all my emails regarded the sizes that I am running on my own car:

215/40ZR17 -FR
255/35ZR18 -RR

thanks
Aaron

215/40/17 and 265/35/18 Will infact work with no issues.

Its not something within spec that Tirerack's system approves, that's why WES replied as he did. Its not that he gave bad information, he was just quoting what his system shows.

We have known several members to have used this combo
(or sub a 255/35/18)

With a 10 inch wide wheel I'd go 265's, if you were narrower wheel width, 255's would be appropriate.

(If you wish to approach this from technical perspective 255's are a closer match, but would look stretched on a 10 inch wide wheel)

Alex xt 294
800 428 8355

Back