• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kenwood DDX-6019 install

I had the opportunity to install a Kenwood DDX-6019 over the last week. We decided to modify a beat up old bubbly console trim. Getting the electroplate off of it was half of the battle. The other half was prep work spent trying to fill in all the nicks and scratches.

The actual stereo mounting probably only took about 1 hour. You have to carefully study the way the deck tilts and opens to know how you will mount the deck. The stereo itself is pretty cool. The deck has a single reverse tilt position and boy does it make a world of difference getting rid of glare. The deck goes back to the flat position when the stereo is off for about 5 seconds. The buttons are all along the bottom and it's difficult to push them if there is any obstruction near the bottom. If you look at the trim panel it came with, they added a bevel at the bottom edge so that it would make pressing the buttons easier. When I modified the trim, I added a very similar bevel and it made a big difference. So here come the pictures.

First, here is the deck with a trim mounted on it to show it in the reverse tilt position.

99196019-02-thumb.JPG

Next, here is the deck after we mounted some brackets at the bottom to hold it into position. We used JB Quik Weld to attach the brackets to the stereo. The console trim had to be trimmed along the sides, sanded at the bottom near the ashtray, and part of the top between the climate control was cut off.

See how when the deck reverse tilts or opens, there is a gap on the side. We had to build walls. I used Bondoglass for the side walls and a strip of 1/8" aluminum for the bottom and adhered it with a metal to plastic epoxy.

We had to sand away the parts of the wall that were too long because they would hit the stereo when you try to mount the stereo back. Bondoglass makes a strong wall but it's difficult to make it free of bubbles and work in small gaps. That's where Bondo comes in.

This is what it looks like when it's basically finished. If you click on the image, you can see the larger image. Look closely and you can see a beveled edge near the ashtray opening.

I decided to add my signature by flocking the cointray to a deep black again. :)

A lot of priming and Bondo spot filler later, I shot some satin black paint on it. We'll see how well it holds, my console trim I painted 2 years ago is still doing fine, no bubbles or scratches. If it doesn't hold up, we'll just take it to a paint pro and have them shoot it up.

This is a side by side view with the stock console trim to compare.

The end result

There are a couple of little details I didn't take pictures of. For instance, around the vent, I replaced the fabric that went along the edge with a black ribbon adhered with a gummy double sided tape. Along the outer corners, 2 small squares of the soft velcro are stock to keep the vent from scratching into the main console trim.

The ashtray lid is now in a fixed up position, not a problem for the owner. The bottom of the climate control unit where it bulges down for the screws and part of the edge had to be sanded down. The climate control did not lose any strength because of this, not really adversely affected. The metal bar that held the screws for the bottom of the climate control and the top of the stereo had to be removed to give the stereo more room to lift up. This also have very little effect on the stereo or climate control as they are both solid and sandwiched in such a way that they are tight.

Next step is waiting for the Bluetooth module to come out and just plug that baby in.

tips?

Brad, keep it coming, my mechanic is installing mine as well currently. Any tips or anything that would make things go a lil' smoother? I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cool!! Good to see that it has a nice tilt when installed.....thank you! :)

How do you post pictures in your response? Someone please let me know as My DDX-6019 is being installed at a local (Concord CA) shop for a very reasonable price and I want to post pictures for the group. Total cost on install will be: $225 including modifying the center console and spraying it back to black (was red). This cost also included removing my passenger seat as I was having a problem with it that they fixed (quoted $75 just for that). Could be a great place for you guys to get yours installed if you like the pics. They did a great job on a custom install for the stereo in my Viper several years ago as well. Also reasonably priced.

hi brad,

i'm interested in this head unit due to the reverse-tilt feature, but is there no solution to the problem with the ashtray door being fixed in the open position? thanks!

Double-J said:
i'm interested in this head unit due to the reverse-tilt feature, but is there no solution to the problem with the ashtray door being fixed in the open position? thanks!

I think it could be done, it is a very close fit and it all depends on how you mount it. The owner didn't care if we lost the ashtray door's ability to close so we didn't put the concerted effort into keeping it. You just have to mount the head unit as high as you can and there are little tricks in getting it to go up higher.

So is it worth it? you had to do all this work because of the reverse tilt... in the end, does it make that much difference? To my eye, it still doesn't look perfect when tilted... I know you worked hard and came up with those walls, but does ot look as good as just a flush unit? It seems the tilt happens by the bottom going "in" rather than the top coming out... and thats why you had to build these walls, right?

Is this ashtray issue strictly becasue of the tilt feature?

TURBO2GO said:
So is it worth it? you had to do all this work because of the reverse tilt... in the end, does it make that much difference? To my eye, it still doesn't look perfect when tilted... I know you worked hard and came up with those walls, but does ot look as good as just a flush unit? It seems the tilt happens by the bottom going "in" rather than the top coming out... and thats why you had to build these walls, right?

Is this ashtray issue strictly becasue of the tilt feature?

The reverse tilt makes a HUGE difference in daylight. It is not perfect when tilted but every degree of reverse angle you can get makes a big difference. The top does go out and the bottom goes in. So yes it is worth it and my next head unit will have to have it.

The ashtray issue is because 7" is a larger screen and because of the reverse tilt as well as the buttons being on the bottom. The walls you want because when the unit opens and tilts, you can see behind the console trim. It just fills it in and makes it look better.

Back