• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kids Day 2007 - Thank You (and photos...)

Thank you to all who made the trip up to Watkins Glen for Kids Day today. The weather held out for us and we had our best showing ever with 18 NSXs driving the kids, nurses, counselors and guests around the track. This very worthwhile event was brought to the club's attention several years ago by Peter Mills and all of us who have been blessed to have been in the company of these special children owe Peter thanks as well for making this an annual event.

We realize it is a long trip for everyone and it is not easy to juggle work and family to attend the event but we hope that everyone found it a worthy cause. We also hope everyone could feel how important it is to give up a little of our time and share our treasured rides in such a way as to bring smiles to the faces of kids who have to endure more than most of us could ever imagine.

Thanks again to all and I hope to be able to share some photos, including some taken by the Lovely Sylvia who tried to get some shots of us as the kids were getting into the cars. There is no high speed internet up here so the photo upload time is very slow through my cell phone. I also apologize to those who were not included in the group photo but I was busy giving hot lap rides while some had to leave early.

174470704-L.jpg

174470675-L.jpg

175020868-L.jpg

175020865-L.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I would introduce one of my co-pilots today. Here's Abby. Despite everything she has been through, she was incredibly personable and lively and was one of the highlights of the the day for several of us. Abby is going to be 12 next week and is hoping that she can stay healthy long enough to be able to grow her hair down her back so that it may be donated to others who have become sick and have lost their hair due to illness and medical treatments. In the second photo you can see a tattoo on her forehead that sums up why Abby is so special.

174475772-L.jpg

174475829-L.jpg

174482867-L.jpg

Last edited:
Not the usual track photos because I had to shoot these on the fly and didn't have a chance to get trackside for the photo ops.

174500228-L.jpg

174500247-L.jpg

174500266-L.jpg

174500282-L.jpg

174500340-L.jpg

174503391-L-0.jpg

This was sooo much fun.
I was a fool not to have attended before and can't see missing it ever again.

Thanks Peter for bringing this event to us.

Guys and gals. This is something not to miss.

Just walked in the door after the almost 300 mile drive, I can't emphasize enough what others have said about this event. It seems unreal how much shorter the ride home feels than the ride up. I think that it might have something to do with the smile on my face after sharing my "toy" with these special kids, and the feeling that you get by making them smile and adding a little "sunshine" to their days. I had the pleasure of taking 3 kids, a young boy named "Owen" (8 years old), and 2- 10 year old girls; Monise and Kate. They actually argued as to who could get to ride in my car first, Monise won, and when I dropped her off Kate was not so patiently waiting for her turn. I also took an older counselor (older than even Pete), named John who teaches the kids woodworking, and he told me how the kids who have been fortunate enough to survive the previous years treatments, excitedly explain to the new campers all about the day at the track. The anticipation that the kids have for this event exceeds even mine. I know that this is a "long winded post", but just look at Bob's pictures, speak to someone who went this year for the first time, and you'll make the time to be there next year. Thank You Peter for finding this "event" and to all of the "open trackers", and "instructors" who take us for "hot laps" and put smiles on our faces that match the Kid's who just got out of our cars, a big thank you. I hope that everyone has a safe trip home and enjoyed themselves as much as I did!!!:biggrin:

I want to say I had a great time. It was worth it to take off from work to do it. I wish I had could have stayed longer for the hot laps.... :frown:

thanks every one !

Now I have to plan how to get sick for next year ! :biggrin:

Pete and All,

Another great Kid's Day. The weather held out great, and Stephanie and I had a wonderful time. I wish I was not typing this and we were there for tomorrow:).

It was great to see everyone, and nice to see a few more new "regulars":):).

Bob,

The photo's and commentary say it all.....

Thanks to everyone for making it the great day it was.

Regards,
LarryB

what a great time. thank you peter & sylvia for this
gracious event, and all @ trackmasters & wgi for hosting.

being there every year for the campers, counselors, & staff
makes my carbon footprint sensible, and the backwater
ride home brings me home to smalltown america.:smile:

here's bob taking a special kid ronnie around the lot...:biggrin:
dsc00921aqk2.jpg

100% agree with everyone. Sign me up for next year. Roger, I also had Kate and Monise, along with a young fella named Jordan. Nothing like a little life perspective now and then. Thanks again to Peter and the other guys who make these events possible.
Jesse

Kid's Day was an incredible event. It was so much fun and was a worthwhile cause at the same time! Thanks Peter and Silvia!

Attachments

• CIMG0021.jpg
    CIMG0021.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 66
  • CIMG0022.jpg
    CIMG0022.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 67
  • CIMG0025.jpg
    CIMG0025.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 63
  • CIMG0033.jpg
    CIMG0033.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG0034.jpg
    CIMG0034.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 68
More pics...

Attachments

• CIMG0035.jpg
    CIMG0035.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 64
  • CIMG0042.jpg
    CIMG0042.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 76
  • CIMG0046.jpg
    CIMG0046.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG0048.jpg
    CIMG0048.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 65
and the most important pics...

Attachments

• CIMG0067.jpg
    CIMG0067.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 90
  • CIMG0064.jpg
    CIMG0064.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 79
  • CIMG0068.jpg
    CIMG0068.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 54
  • CIMG0063.jpg
    CIMG0063.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 73
  • CIMG0060.jpg
    CIMG0060.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 70
:smile: I mirror the other comments. Great event. Very fullfilling. I'll be sure to make more time for the before and after party next year. I'll make every one from this point further. Flawless day....

....well almost, there was that state trooper on 17 West. :mad:

Joe, that was Bob Ondrovic at the event, not Bailey!!!:biggrin:

Hey, she was the only female driver I saw and besides, I was told she was a driving instructor.
I thought it was cool and would love to show a pic of her climbing out of the Ferrari to my daughter. My wife thought it was cool too, especially the part about her being a driving instructor.
We're talking about a real driver not some belly button jeweled model being trotted out just to smile.

Where are the pics?:biggrin:

Ferrari driver is Dinah DeRoller. Besides being a veteran instructor for Trachmasters and BMW CCA, she also has competed in Spec Miata and Formula Ford. Very very good driver.
Her boyfriend John, just opened a garage here in Rochester, so if anyone is looking for a great mechanic in Western NY, he's your guy.

Miss you guys this year, was in Mosport for a track event but will def. be there next year. Camp Good days is truly an amazing event at the glen!!!

cheers

John Bulbulia

The Original Don and I had a great time as expected. My dad blushed when I told him that Stephanie Bastanza thought he was cute.

The Thursday morning rain ended and track dried up for a great second day. Actually managed to escape the rain all the way home Thursday.

Was great to see everybody although I wish I had more time to chat. When you are in the school there isn't too much down time.

Well done all.

Joe, that was Bob Ondrovic at the event, not Bailey!!!:biggrin:

LOL:eek:

I'm glad you all had a good time, and that the weather held out. Here in CT, I thought I was going to have to start building an Ark.

Seeing these kids makes me realize that the troubles I and my son are going through are a little less serious. So, thanks for that.:smile:

Back