• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kuhmo Ecsta SPT's

Is anyone running these on their NSX? I just had a set mounted on my car that I got from The Tire Rack. I'm running 235/40/17's in the Front and 275/40/17's in the Rear. I can't really answer much so far with only 20 miles on them, but for the price I'm willing to give them a try!:wink:

The Kumho Ecsta SPT is a "budget performance tire", similar in performance to the best tires in this market segment, such as the Yokohama ES100, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Avon Tech M500, and Bridgestone Potenza RE750. These tires are designed for folks who are willing to sacrifice some performance for a low purchase price; they generally offer dry traction and handling that is pretty good (but by no means in the same class as the better top-of-the-line tires), excellent wet traction and handling, and reasonably long treadlife, all at a bargain price. I've ridden on the SPT on the track in the rain and it has awesome grip on wet pavement.

I think the SPT is a great choice for many folks for daily driving in family and sporty cars. I think most NSX owners would prefer to choose from the best tires on the market (like the OEM tires, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Falken Azenis RT-615, etc), so that they can enjoy all the performance of our cars, rather than degrading that performance just to save a few bucks on tires. But hey, that's why they make a lot of different tires, so that each of us can choose whatever tires we want, and accept whatever compromises come with them.

Like nsxtasy notes, I considered the SPT for my daily 4-door cruiser, since I'm not in the habit of pushing the car very much and was more interested in half-decent dry (and only occassional wet) performance, longer tread life, and a more reasonable purchase price. As it is, I am currently switching over from Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tires to Kumho SPT tires on my 1999 3.2TL. I haven't had much time with them yet to make an assessment.

-Randy

nsxtasy said:
The Kumho Ecsta SPT is a "budget performance tire", similar in performance to the best tires in this market segment, such as the Yokohama ES100, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Avon Tech M500, and Bridgestone Potenza RE750. These tires are designed for folks who are willing to sacrifice some performance for a low purchase price; they generally offer dry traction and handling that is pretty good (but by no means in the same class as the better top-of-the-line tires), excellent wet traction and handling, and reasonably long treadlife, all at a bargain price. I've ridden on the SPT on the track in the rain and it has awesome grip on wet pavement.

I think the SPT is a great choice for many folks for daily driving in family and sporty cars. I think most NSX owners would prefer to choose from the best tires on the market (like the OEM tires, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Falken Azenis RT-615, etc), so that they can enjoy all the performance of our cars, rather than degrading that performance just to save a few bucks on tires. But hey, that's why they make a lot of different tires, so that each of us can choose whatever tires we want, and accept whatever compromises come with them.

I should have explained in my first post that I bought these for "street driving" and that's pretty much it. I've had my NSX for almost 5 years and have always gone with either OEM Bridgestone or S-03's ALL THE TIME. Track, Autox or Street. I've gotten to the point where I want a better tires for my hobby and less expensive tires for driving on the street. Roasting S-03's in 3000 miles is getting old!!! RA-1's for the Track and for now I'm going to try the SPT's. It took only a few hot laps in a NSX with RA-1's and I knew I was really missing something on the track.

This is off topic, but now I'm researching what wheel to run with my "street tires". When I get my RA-1's next they will be mounted on my CE28n's, but I need something for my budget tires that will fit a BBK when the times comes.:biggrin: Anyone??? I've thought of the Work Wheels that S.O.S. carries or maybe some SSR Competition if they still make them for the NSX.

FuryNSX said:
I am currently switching over from Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tires to Kumho SPT tires on my 1999 3.2TL. I haven't had much time with them yet to make an assessment.
The SPT is much better, wet or dry. The Parada Spec 2, which is in this same market segment of budget performance tires, is not very good, nowhere near as good (wet or dry) as its ES100 stablemate, which is very close in performance to the SPT.

John McCain Racing said:
I should have explained in my first post that I bought these for "street driving" and that's pretty much it. I've had my NSX for almost 5 years and have always gone with either OEM Bridgestone or S-03's ALL THE TIME. Track, Autox or Street. I've gotten to the point where I want a better tires for my hobby and less expensive tires for driving on the street. Roasting S-03's in 3000 miles is getting old!!! RA-1's for the Track and for now I'm going to try the SPT's. It took only a few hot laps in a NSX with RA-1's and I knew I was really missing something on the track.
That makes sense.
icon14.gif
(As long as you're switching to separate tires, I would suggest going back to the stock '02-05 sizes for your street tires, rather than the oversized, rubbing sizes you mention.)

FWIW, when I switched over to R compounds, I didn't notice much difference. It turns out, that's because I was driving them with the same traction expectations as my (OEM) street tires. Once I got accustomed to the greater grip of the R comps, I pushed them further. Now I notice a huge difference whenever I find myself back on street tires.

This is off topic, but now I'm researching what wheel to run with my "street tires". When I get my RA-1's next they will be mounted on my CE28n's, but I need something for my budget tires that will fit a BBK when the times comes.:biggrin: Anyone??? I've thought of the Work Wheels that S.O.S. carries or maybe some SSR Competition if they still make them for the NSX.

This reply may be too late, but I just got a set of 5 spoke 5zigen wheels and they easily fit over my AP Racing BBK

Back