• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leather Cleaning and Care

I just tried the Lexol ph cleaner and was pretty disappointed. It's all marketing, looks fancy, smells nice, expensive, gets real foamy, etc. but it doesn't pick up any more dirt than a damp cloth would. I was hoping it would get into the grain of the leather and make it look better, but I guess it's just too mild. I was using Caroline's paint brush advice too but couldn't get it clean enough to see a difference.

I do recommend the Zaino Z-10 leather in a bottle. Not greasy, smells great, protects leather. I rub it in by hand, let it sit for 10 minutes and then wipe off.

How do you get rid of those crack lines? The seem to be harden if you take care of them.

Actually cracking in the leather would have to be repaired, there are products on line that claim to work to fill them. But I have no experience with them. I would seek out a professional leather repair facility for major repairs. I guess we would have to have a clarification on whether your seats have creases or cracks

Let me go and shoot some quick pics to show what it looks like. Give me a few.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some quick Blackberry pics of the handle and side bolster. these are the common spots with the so call cracks I see from most NSX.

First time posting pics, please let me know if I make any mistakes.

IMG-20140311-00257_zps04580704.jpg

IMG-20140311-00258_zpscb8cff12.jpg

IMG-20140311-00259_zps500919c6.jpg

IMG-20140311-00260_zps0192e6ac.jpg

You do have creases and actually areas of missing leather finish. I can recommend a product for reconditioning the leather which will diminish the appearance of the bare areas, but will not hide them. It will help on the creases, and dry surface of the seats and help make them supple again.
Connolly leather care:
http://www.autogeek.net/cohica1.html

A cheaper alternative to the Connolly product is a lanolin enriched product intended for cows udders ( don't laugh) called Bag Balm. Essentially you apply it with a soft cloth or foam pad and let it sit overnight and then wipe of the excess. Amazingly people have had surprisingly good results removing creases as the leather swells after being hydrated. Bag Balm does have a odor that lasts for a day or two, if you can live with that annoyance it might be worth a try.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_HVHsh0_tCE

As for for the missing coloration, nothing short of a professional redye will help, there are a few home use water based dye products, but I have no experience with them.

Last edited:
For deep cleaning and conditioning, seemingly the only product (relatively cost-effective) for the job is Leatherique. This is something I need to look into as I have light-gray leather in another vehicle (~8 years old) & no over-the-counter product can effectively clean it (without getting into caustic, non pH-neutral cleaners).

For the NSX leather-trimmed interior, consistent and continual conditioning is the key. The leather is coated by a breathable urethane layer which can show premature (and noticeable) wear if not regularly cleaned/conditioned.

FWIW, I've tried the multitude of leather cleaners & conditioners and although this won't fix the worn through portion, it (along with the proper technique) is some of the best I've come across. It's made by Chemical Guys:

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_SPI_109_16_Leather_Care_Kit_p/spi_109_16.htm

It did an AMAZING job of cleaning the leather seats in our old TSX and our current M5. Made them like new in look but most importantly feel. If you're too abrasive with any cleaner though, it'll damage the leather. Which is why technique is just as or even more important.

Thanks everyone, I'll try using some of them and hope I can bring it back to normal.

one of the very few disappointments I have had with the NSX is the "clear coating" the maker puts on the leather.. it seems to prevent any leather smell from filling the cockpit like a proper car... and prevents leather treatment from really doing their job.

I used to use black shoe polish on my Porsches and it worked GREAT for covering worn areas.

I thought I would use tan shoe polish on my NSX.... but it won't stick or soak in.!!! The good news was that my Tan seat were not worn... but mearely much dirtier than I thought.... I drove the car for months until a buddy handed me a medium stiff brush and some "tuff stuff" foaming cleaner... amazing!!!!

careful with that brush.... if you wear off the coating and color... your screwed!!!

my seats look beautiful and are clean, soft and perfect!!! at 19 years old 41,000 miles

For me...Leatherique has helped remove some of the small cracks and made the seats look newer. The zaino product is crazy good for getting that new car leather smell.

I have been using the AMMONYC.com interior treatment and it has worked great. Sorry no before and after pictures. You do need the interior brush to agitate the leather a bit to lift the dirt. Great product and the system is well document on how to use on his drive clean channel on utube as well as on the AMMONYC site. Can be a bit pricy but I think it is worth it and a little goes a very long way.

Leatherique
HANDS DOWN agreed. Way better than the Lexol i've used for years. To do it right it takes a long time, but nothing will give leather the suppleness that Leatherique does.

It turned my cardboard-stiff and cracking leather in my '99 M3 into VERY soft and supple leather. The stuff is amazing.

Last edited:
Another Leatherique believer here.
Since I sold my NSX I have been using this stuff on my wife's 350Z and our leather couches at home.

I also like using the Lexol on anything made of vinyl.

Can you tell me which Leatherique product to use for minor cracks and lost of leather color, and what to use to make it nice and soft? If color matching is required, what should I use for Onyx?

Thanks!

Frankie

Here's a picture of my driver side that needs TLC.

IMG-20140311-00260_zps0192e6ac.jpg

IMG-20140311-00258_zps12a1dc03.jpg

IMG-20140311-00257_zps89bc4239.jpg

There isn't a leather care product that will replace worn/missing dye and deep cracking. The most that can be hoped for is to reduce it's appearance, a professional leather restorer is what is needed based on your photo's. The online "do it yourself" kits have mixed reviews on durability and color match, seek out a professional in your area.

Back