• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LED bulbs in place of Tail/Brake lights?

I've had the opportunity to see a LED taillight conversation and I really liked the look of the LED lights. But I don't have the money to dish out on some of those fancy smanchy lights right now.

That, and I ordered some LED interior/wedge/ and license plate lights from superbrightleds.com the other day and received some wrong bulbs. This got me curious and I started digging around the trunk of the NSX and looking at the OEM brake/tail light bulbs.

And to my question, can we simply replace the brake/tail light bulbs with LED bulbs?

Did a search and didn't turn up much. I recall seeing some 5 star design bulbs previously mentioned here but can't find that thread.

YES, you can...

And yes, I have tried this but came away very disappointed. I have tried several models of LED bulbs, but they simply did not give me the look I was looking for. The problem is, LED lights are very directional. So the effect was that I would have a nice red circular and very bright and SMALL dot inside the rear light housing.
There are some bigger bulb available now, but the problem is that the bulbs which have like 24 small LEDs are too big to fit in the housing.
I haven't tried those lights which have a small christmas tree-like combination of LED's but I suspect these from becoming too tall to fit in the housing.
However, if you happen to find LED bulbs to fill out the rear tail light housing with a nice bright red glow, let us know.

I tell you what I did. The standard taillight bulb is something like a 10 Watt (from memory) bulb. I replaced those with the brighter 21 Watt bulb and that DID make a difference for a fraction of the price. Have been using those now for over a year without any problems whatsoever.

Yes, you can get replacement taillight bulbs at www.superbrightleds.com I haven't personally tried them so I don't know how they turn out.

I tell you what I did. The standard taillight bulb is something like a 10 Watt (from memory) bulb. I replaced those with the brighter 21 Watt bulb and that DID make a difference for a fraction of the price. Have been using those now for over a year without any problems whatsoever.
Exactly which 21 watt bulbs are you using? Can you post the brand and model number?

Attachments

• 1157LED.jpg
    1157LED.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
MvM,

Thanks for your response. What I would really like to do is replace the turn signals with some LED bulbs, giving them a different look than the rest of the tail lights. Again, I got a pair of bulbs that were wrong and I started looking into other places that I could use them.

I didn't think about the LED bulbs being too large to fit into the housing. Glad you mentioned this before I bought some bulbs! :smile:

Is it possible / how hard to crack open the tail lights to install these larger bulbs?

The problem isn't the size of the bulbs. Inside the lens is a diffuser that blocks most of the light and gives you the small circle that MvM spoke about. Also two of the bulb holders are straight and two are at an angle which make the LEDs look odd.

The problem isn't the size of the bulbs. Inside the lens is a diffuser that blocks most of the light and gives you the small circle that MvM spoke about. Also two of the bulb holders are straight and two are at an angle which make the LEDs look odd.

Comtec, thanks for the info. Do you know how the inside of the rear turn signals/bulb holders are? I'd be interested in replacing these with amber LED lights, to break up all the red in the rear.

I may end up picking up a set of 02+ rear tail lights, but I'm interested in doing something like this until I get around to doing that.

21w Bulbs should mean tail lights that are twice as bright:biggrin:

Where did you find 21w bulbs?
Part #?

No issues with plastic warping?

I tried higher watt bulbs in front parking lights and the plastic warped a little from the heat. :frown:

YES, you can...

I can only say on the 2002+. They are straight but still diffused. When you look at the lens the little square texture that you see is the diffuser. People have said that if you take the lights apart you can remove the diffuser but i don't know for sure ........ yet :wink: .

An amber LED will pretty much give you the same color as the OEM bulbs on a pre-2002. Incandescent bulbs emit an amber color.

Z

Good luck with your project. I can only imagine those taillights that you saw (after all, I'm the one driving ;) )

But on a serious note, I remember looking into other options before going the clearcorner taillight conversion and it seemed it was very difficult for me to do it myself.

I also recently tested allot of leds from superbrightleds.com as well trying different bulbs out and on the tail lights, there is no decent "replacement bulb" that will be an improvement over what you have stock.

Now if your looking for interior led's my suggestions are 3022-WHP2 festoon bulbs and then any of the #74 colors you like to finish off the ignition bezel and ashtray lights. I went with 74-WHP wedge base led bulbs. I also had to trim/dremel the inside of the clear ignition bezel to make the leds fit. All the #74 leds from there are slightly longer than the stock #74 bulb is and barely dont fit without trimming. Everytime i open my door i am glad i did this mod. Very simple and cheap and took less than a few minutes to do.

I also found some nice leds to replace the side marker bulbs but i still need to decide what i want to do with the lenses before i choose a color. I will probably also do the running lights and turn signals as well in the next couple of weeks.

But to answer your question, its a dead end your heading towards on the led taillights unless you really want to spend allot of time or money to create boards etc, or go with clearcorners.coms conversions.

I can only say on the 2002+. They are straight but still diffused. When you look at the lens the little square texture that you see is the diffuser. People have said that if you take the lights apart you can remove the diffuser but i don't know for sure ........ yet :wink: .

An amber LED will pretty much give you the same color as the OEM bulbs on a pre-2002. Incandescent bulbs emit an amber color.

I see. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Well, it was worth a try.....actually a post. :smile:

Z

Good luck with your project. I can only imagine those taillights that you saw (after all, I'm the one driving ;) )

But on a serious note, I remember looking into other options before going the clearcorner taillight conversion and it seemed it was very difficult for me to do it myself.

Rub it in man, rub it in! Yeah, I just discovered how great LED lights work(on the interior) and now I can't stop......but I must, since I can't fork out mucho moola!

I also recently tested allot of leds from superbrightleds.com as well trying different bulbs out and on the tail lights, there is no decent "replacement bulb" that will be an improvement over what you have stock.

Now if your looking for interior led's my suggestions are 3022-WHP2 festoon bulbs and then any of the #74 colors you like to finish off the ignition bezel and ashtray lights. I went with 74-WHP wedge base led bulbs. I also had to trim/dremel the inside of the clear ignition bezel to make the leds fit. All the #74 leds from there are slightly longer than the stock #74 bulb is and barely dont fit without trimming. Everytime i open my door i am glad i did this mod. Very simple and cheap and took less than a few minutes to do.

I also found some nice leds to replace the side marker bulbs but i still need to decide what i want to do with the lenses before i choose a color. I will probably also do the running lights and turn signals as well in the next couple of weeks.

But to answer your question, its a dead end your heading towards on the led taillights unless you really want to spend allot of time or money to create boards etc, or go with clearcorners.coms conversions.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say I'm going to scratch this idea. I was curious as I just did my interior lights(and yes, I've opened and closed my doors plenty of times since and feel the same way). :smile:

Maybe someone will sell some used??? Hmm, Matt, let's talk about how aweful those lights look. Let me help you out. :biggrin:

Hey Mike,

Your oven baked headlight were very inspirational. Do you think we can do the same to our taillights?

Henry.

Exactly which 21 watt bulbs are you using? Can you post the brand and model number?

Have no idea what the brand name is, but they are exactly the same bulbs, just with a somewhat higher output.

If I am correct, they are actually the same bulbs that are used for the brake lights. They do make the taillights look much brighter.
Have had no problems at all with heat.

Hey Mike,

Your oven baked headlight were very inspirational. Do you think we can do the same to our taillights?

Henry.

Thanks Henry,
That reminds me that i need to post the How to for it. I only have another 5 days to work this year so i will have some time available.

Someone stated in a post i read that the same adhesive was used on both the headlights and the tail lights so it should work the same. I don't like the idea of using hot water as some have.

I should be starting on the tail lights (converting to LEDs :biggrin: ) when i'm off so i will let you know :wink: .

What's the issue? Not bright/cool enough as I recall?

I don't think you guys are going to get the results you are after with those plug-in ricer bulbs. :cool:

I would offer as an alternative suggestion (John's 0.2 here) that you guys might just cut a hole / delete back-ups in the stock housing and stuff a pair of FIA homologated rain lights in there.

Ever hit the track in the rain/fog with an Ariel Atom in front of you? I have. At 840,000+ mcd trust me... you won't be missing that tail/brake light no matter if you are on the complete other side of the race track.

They come in all shapes and sizes, something like this might be fine.

2007_rear.jpg

BTW... here is the 'equivalent' version of this thread over on the ten tenths forums. :wink:

2007_rear.jpg

QUOTE]

saw someone in HK magazine puting this lamp on his nsx.. simply gorgeous..

the one being sold in UK looks 70% close to this lamp..

where else can i find them??

Which magazine? What issue?

Henry.

Hi Henry,

it was Option Fans Magazine dated December 2007..

there is a white NSX with LED Formula 1 brake lamp.. btw, if u could find the owner through the magazine's editor, plz ask him where he bought the lamp.. simply gorgeous!! I want one!!! hehehe..

Cherio!

I'm trying some of these in the outer straight socket tail/brake lights in my 1991.

1156-5x.jpg

The 4 outer leds (2 watts total) light in taillight mode and the center 3 watt led adds it's light in brake mode. It is brighter than the stock filament bulbs.
I ordered the red ones and they are more red than the other 2 stock taillight segments that are more amber.
You could order the amber leds and the color might match better or maybe mine are just faded after 17 years:rolleyes: .
They show a 220 degree angle of view so they might work in the angled sockets but haven't tried them in there yet. They are pricey at $30.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

On my 1991 it is going to require load resistors to keep the "brake light out " dash light from coming on.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the forums, planning to purchase an NSX soon and, as our company is an LED distributor, this thread caught my eye. How many people on the forum have the LED conversion offered on clearcorners.com? I'd like to know if there's a market for them. Thanks.

There is a big demand for updating the NSX taillights in particular. Clearcorners has the best option but is too $$ for most. We have been advised of the extensive manual labor involved and # of LEDs to cover the large area of the rear taillights. Lastly, there is a big risk of breaking the plastic lens upon disassembly. Most NSX owners would buy new lights if it were in the $700 to max $1000 range without compromising quality if possible. I am in that boat. You might want to introduce your company in the vendors section along with your experience/background/website info.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back