• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LED bulbs in place of Tail/Brake lights?

Hi, I'm new to the forums, planning to purchase an NSX soon and, as our company is an LED distributor, this thread caught my eye. How many people on the forum have the LED conversion offered on clearcorners.com? I'd like to know if there's a market for them. Thanks.

Tango,

Welcome! Not many people have the Clearcorner conversion. I believe mostly because of cost. If you have an alternative, I'm sure there are many many people that would be interested. :smile:

Hi Zishan.

I will look into design/array possibilities based on the dimensions of the taillights. Best outcome would be a plug and play situation, but I will keep you posted.

Hi Zishan.

I will look into design/array possibilities based on the dimensions of the taillights. Best outcome would be a plug and play situation, but I will keep you posted.

Yes, keep us posted! A local NSXer has these from Clearcorners, and they look AMAZING! I would love to have some as well, but I just not afford them, as with many other things I can only dream of. :biggrin:

As I understand it, LEDs are time consuming. So again, I wish you luck! :wink:

I've tried that 21 LED 1157 bulb from Superbrightleds.com (I had both the "wide" and the "narrow" beam versions) in my old Jetta as a brake light and it had the problems that people have already mentioned. It was noticeably dimmer than the incandescent counterpart. It did seem to light almost the whole section but it was too dim and not as uniform as the incandescent bulbs it replaced in both cases (narrow or wide). I ended up using them as extra brake lights (in place of where the rear foglight might have gone on the Eurospec cars).

I don't recommend using them at all. Hopefully they'll be another alternative soon.

Hi Zishan.

Please do! I'm sure a lot of people here would definitely be interested in the conversion. I know I am!

Please do! I'm sure a lot of people here would definitely be interested in the conversion. I know I am!

Hi

Yes please keep us updated. I have a "new" set of taillight laying around to use for a DIY thing of send it to somebody that can mod them for LED's.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm back and I've found some possibilities with the LEDs. I've been searching to find the dimensions of the taillights, but have had no luck. Anyone mind providing me the depth of the taillights? Or does anyone have a used taillight they'd sell to me? Just need one to build the prototype.

Hi,

I'm back and I've found some possibilities with the LEDs. I've been searching to find the dimensions of the taillights, but have had no luck. Anyone mind providing me the depth of the taillights? Or does anyone have a used taillight they'd sell to me? Just need one to build the prototype.

Hi

I am sure we can come to a agreement. I have a "new" set ready. But I have also the old ones that has some cracks here and there.

The cracked ones should be good to use to make a prototype.

How about I send you everything and you make a prototype with the cracked one and then mod the good set and send it back to me?

And yes when I took of the cracked ones from my car I had a third set I put on.

Regards

Hi

I think the second from above looks good and the fourth is also good.

This is what I dislike with the different setups.

Does not like round turn signal in setup 1. Do not like the vertical in the top right on setup 2. Does not like the vertical setup on 3 at all. Three lines in setup 1 is not enough. Setup 5 is not nice with the spacing and the verticals.

I like the turn signal on setup 2. The whole setup is my favorite. It should not have the vertical's on the top right though.

Looking good and I am happy you are taking the time. Let me know what you think of my last post. I have this "broken" set and a good one.

Regards

Thank you for the input, Martin.

Someone is already providing me a cracked housing to work with so as soon as I receive that, I can work on the mock-up. Thank you for the offer.

As to the the design, how would you see the top right part? I was thinking using setup 2 with setup 4's (clear corners imitation) top right array.

Regards,
Srini

Thank you for the input, Martin.

Someone is already providing me a cracked housing to work with so as soon as I receive that, I can work on the mock-up. Thank you for the offer.

As to the the design, how would you see the top right part? I was thinking using setup 2 with setup 4's (clear corners imitation) top right array.

Hi

That's alright. The offer was up there and it was not needed. Maybe mount the taillights to my fridge instead :biggrin:

Yes, I would suggest going with the Clear Corner top right array.

Regards

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=image&file=taillightv2.JPG

Ok, here's what the prototype will look like, hopefully.

Hi

Looking good. Go for it. My concern with LED's is that they wil not last as long as OEM and you have hell to fix them. At least the high intensity LED bulbs are not built to last as long as we are used to.

If the ray's is accessible you could change the LED bulbs when they go bad. But if the tail lights are sealed then you have a problem to do that.

What is the plan here?

Regards

Lamp life on the LEDs I'm using are 50,000 hours.

I was wondering that myself. If the LEDs on the clearcorners.com taillights ever go bad, what is their replacement method?

If the LEDs went bad on my strips, I would have to take apart the taillight to get access to it. If I made a way to access the leds from the back part of the housing, there might be condensation issues.

However, the LEDs I am using are waterproof.

Any suggestions on replacement?

Hi

According to my brother the high intensity LED's are pretty sensitive regarding the current. It means that you need some electronic to regulate the current. If you have some regulator which keeps the current under control you will have a longer life on them.

I have no idea how Clearn Corners does the goes bad changing. 50.000 hours is a lot. But it would look bad if one or two goes bad. You have to be able to crack them open to change them. But then you have the condensation problem.

It is a mystery to me this sorry.

Regards

I was thinking, if there's enough clearance, I could put the LEDs on a separate plate and slide them in by creating a sealable opening on the side where the reverse marker is.

I'd have to look into that once i get the taillight in, plus if that were possible, I would not be able to put an LED array in the top right of the housing.

Regards,
Srini

To those who have the clearcorners.com led taillights, did you send in your pair for modification? Or does the price include new taillights?

Hi

AFAIK you need to supply your own taillight or they supply you with one.

I checked my lights yesterday. I have also on the left where the reverse light is on the right a white light or was it red. It is rear fog light.

I could not test the brakes as I was alone. But I guess I have red on top left and right and also along the long place left and right.

I suspect I have brakelight on the top left and right. But would that be OEM in your design with the "slip into" design?

Regards

I believe the OEM does not have any lights on the top right/left of the taillights. So the 'slip in' design would be OEM. However, I read that Euro and Jspec taillights are a little bit different?

I'm doing testing on the LEDs now. Been running them for a few days straight. Here is a picture of the orange LEDs I will use.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=image&file=IMG_3385.JPG

Last edited:
I believe the OEM does not have any lights on the top right/left of the taillights. So the 'slip in' design would be OEM. However, I read that Euro and Jspec taillights are a little bit different?

I'm doing testing on the LEDs now. Been running them for a few days straight. Here is a picture of the orange LEDs I will use.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=image&file=IMG_3385.JPG

Hi

I really need to go out there and have somebody push the brakes to see what lights up back there. I have no idea. I will let you know when I have checked.

The lights are super bright as LED's are. Looking forward to see the final result. Or at least pictures of the final thing.

As I said I have a set of lenses ready to do the modification on.

Regards

Hello Martin,

I will wait until monday to get a reply from the gentleman who was supposed to provide a cracked taillight for the mock-up.

If after that I have not received any correspondence, I will get in touch with you and proceed from there. I want to build as soon as possible and see if this is in fact doable at a good price.

I will keep you updated.

Regards,
Srini

I will keep you updated.

Hi

Yes please do. I have the stuff pretty ready here for you. I have to go down to the cellar and find them and pack it all up. I have OEM card board boxes. I have to see if I can fit all 4 in them though or I have to make a "custom" card board box for you. :smile:

In the mean time I will find somebody to push my brakes so I can have a look at the back of my NSX. I have never been back there seeing the brake light go on. I have the brakelight in the spoiler too.

The NSX will look a lot better from behind with all the LED's there. I have xenon at the front all over the place and also LED's in the parking lights. I plan on doing something with the parking lights during winter. And the winter is soon here. Only a month or a month and a half left until the snow is here. Or maybe less. Who knows.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi

I had somebody push my brake pedal the other day.

I have brakelights next to the normal lights on the back. That means that there is nothing at the top left and right corner of the NSX.

It would be too much to have brake lights there too. That is my opinion.

The NSX driving will be at a full stop very very soon. Probably tomorrow as the winter is on it's way. It will be below zero degrees celcius on wednesday.

Back in a "few" months.

Regards

Back