• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LeMans 2007

Experienced Member
This is a copy of an email I just sent to some friends.

I thought I would post it here too, so if I missed anybody, they could start thinking about LeMans too.

Peter

pool dscn4871.jpg 4 typical camping.jpg a typical peage.jpg

Hello everybody,

I am going to LeMans in the NSX again. 14.00 Friday 15 June as soon as Louise is off work.

I need another fold up bike. Does anyone have one to lend for a couple of days?

Does anybody have plans to go?

If so contact me, we can exchange info. If anyone wants to come, then read below.

Normally its better to go on Wednesday or Thursday, but this year I am going on Friday at about 14.00.

The best route is Gent, Calais, Rouen, Lemans because all the millions of UK car idiots take the Calais route and it is great to see all the nice sports cars travelling there from the UK. So that’s the route I will take again.
Takes about 6 hours. So if anyone wants to come, let me know. I am taking the NSX.

Camping is the place to stay; it is a huge car party. Seems like about a square kilometres for the cheapest camping where I stay (Beausejour). Bring a tent, BBQ and steaks etc, a sun shade garden thingy (I will take one anyway, a big one).
I strongly suggest bringing a bicycle, it is the most important thing you can bring there besides your sports car. Third importance is “yourself”. With a bicycle you can cycle to the town and buy food etc.

A swimming pool is of fourth importance, some would argue first. The camping authorities (the 3 guys who work there), say we have to bring our own water. But there are water taps and toilets there. So a port-a-poti is a good idea to bring too.
Basically it is chaos and that is what makes it great.

Oh, and the race itself is pretty cool too.

So if you are interested:
We are going Friday lunch time as soon as Louise is off work, leaving from Maastricht. Meet me there or on the way somewhere.
For me it is Brussels-Gent-Calais-Rouen-Lemans.
Dunkerque just before rush hour at about 16.00, Rouen just after rush hour at about 19.00. Approximately.
Will be at LeMans about 21.00 on Friday, I guess. But you can arrive all through the night, it is 24 hours chaos, does not close like a normal camping. Anyway, it is not a normal camping, it is a field (a field full of sports cars and nuts. The greatest car party you have ever seen!).

I’m not going to book camping in advance. I didn’t last year.
In any case the camping (Beausejour) was almost full when I arrived last year on Wednesday so a ticket in advance wouldn’t have been any good anyway. They don’t hold space open for ticket holders, weird. But it is France. Chaos
So this time is going to be an adventure. I will keep in touch with some NSX buddies, maybe I can squeeze in next to them.

Race tickets and camping tickets are completely different and have no connection with each other or with anything else or with the price of tomatoes. Got it?

Tickets for the race itself can be bought there, no problem. Never sold out, even if its full. Ok?

If the camping is completely full like usual, then we all squeeze in, it is 95% British so all million of them get in somehow or wild camp. Wild camping or zwart camping is legal in the UK so the Brits do it at Lemans too. Don’t worry about it, its all part of the chaos that makes it great.

My GSM number is:
(PM me)

Peter

Camping (the last one with some space available)
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/calendrier/pdf/billet24h_2007.pdf
also, don’t pay any attention the “35m2” note. That’s all dreaming

Other campings (all are booked full, 5 years ago, so forget it)
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/calendrier/pdf/billet24h_2007.pdf

Great post. I will be there between June 21 and July 3. Just missing the Le Mans. I am thinking of taking my son to Le Mans to see the museum and local area though.

From Southern Calif.

Back