• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Longest commercial flight?!

California to Thailand
L.A. to Osaka: 12 hrs. Airport layover (Osaka): 2 hrs. Osaka to Bangkok: 6hrs.
Going there was great : two empty seats next to me, and the flight attendent bringing me a fresh Singha every time I held up an empty can. Coming back : A bunch of Americans had gone to Vietnam to adopt babies and were going back home through Thailand, so the flight was full of screaming and crying infants. No empty seat next to me either.......

Mike-san said:
California to Thailand
... Coming back : A bunch of Americans had gone to Vietnam to adopt babies and were going back home through Thailand, so the flight was full of screaming and crying infants. No empty seat next to me either.......

Dear God! I'd open the escape door or light a cigarette in the bathroom or something, just to get out of that torture. No amount of The Goose could make that tolerable. :eek:

topman2005 said:
New York -> Hong Kong
direct flight, took 18-19 hrs, 3-5 times a year........its a PITA:eek:

Im going st louis to Hong Kong the first of the year (will let you guys know)
st louis to Italy (23hrs)
Camp Pendleton Ca to Saudi Arabia (25hrs)

skyguy said:
I did long haul for a while. We flew from Ancona Italy over the north pole to Anchorage Alaska once. 18 hours + Only 3 of use in a 747-200. Empty cargo and full of fuel! *51,000 USG +-
*FAA rule Part 91 allows this non revenue flight.

My how you aerospace guys get around!

We need to meet someday!

nsxtasy said:
Last year, this flight from Hong Kong to London (the long way, over North America) set a record for distance (13,422 statute miles) and time (22 hours 42 minutes) for a non-stop flight by a commercial airliner, but it's not a regularly-scheduled flight.

It's pretty easy to figure out why not. :)

Any of you plane buffs recall what the longest flight for a commercial jetliner was WITHOUT any fuel/engine power?

No, a rocket still uses fuel.

Maybe he's referring to that plane that ran out of fuel in Canada and eventually landed at Gimli? The press dubbed it the "Gimli Glider". Apparently there was an error in fueling, something about confusing metric vs Imperial measures on a then-new model. They wrote a book about it.

Back in Brunei alraedy... but travelling to Europe again these coming weeks, then from europe to US again, yet another 18hr trip(US to Singapore) before christmas! Really not looking forward to the transits and flights. Hope the airlines are updating my airmiles!

NSXBOX- Just noticed your post... thats like 2mths old, yes there are 2 class flight for the Airbus 345.

This summer I did Miami to Madrid then back a few weeks later. I think it was around 10:45 hours each way in economy on an Airbus. I walked through the business class to get to my seat, they were very nice. I can't complain though, I didn't pay.

nsxtasy said:

Maybe he's referring to that plane that ran out of fuel in Canada and eventually landed at Gimli? The press dubbed it the "Gimli Glider". Apparently there was an error in fueling, something about confusing metric vs Imperial measures on a then-new model. They wrote a book about it.

What an incredible story. I'm surprised it's not a movie yet.

Edit: It was made into a lame TV movie called Falling From The Sky: Flight 174

Here is one of the original TV reports from back in 1983.

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:

Close Ken. That one is historic yes. I was actually thinking about the Air Transat Flight 236 that glided for 19 minutes, over a distance of 65 nautical miles (approximately 120 km) to land in the Azores.

For how much time and what distance did the Air Canada plane glide for?

Edit: Got the time... 17 minutes. The distance could be longer for the Air Canada than the Air Transat plane though. It totally flamed out at 20:21 hours. Ten minutes later at 20:31 they were still 12 miles away from the Gimli base. It might have been close to 25 or 30 miles away at the time of flame out. (Source is here.)

NSXBOX- Just noticed your post... thats like 2mths old, yes there are 2 class flight for the Airbus 345.

Haven't done these flight for about 2 years until last week. My back hurts just thinking about it! Now there's only one class for the whole aircraft. At least lots of tail wind managed to do the flight in 17hrs 45mins. Now thinking about the return leg. At least I didn't have to endure like the lady the seated just infront of me, she had to do return flights within 4 days :eek:

Took picture of my neighbor seat upon boarding :biggrin:
IMG_0897.jpg

My bed for the flight.
DSC02471.jpg

Holy Thread Revival! Nice seats though.....I am in the long flight club also.......its always nice when you have good looking stewardesses to look at. :biggrin:

New York -> Hong Kong
direct flight, took 18-19 hrs, 3-5 times a year........its a PITA:eek:

That's the longest flight I've done as well.

Holy Thread Revival! Nice seats though.....I am in the long flight club also.......its always nice when you have good looking stewardesses to look at. :biggrin:

Haha! I know! :biggrin:
SQ's A345 and A380 have similar seat/bed.
Agreed! I prefer Singapore Airlines for long haul not only for the aircrafts and facilities :wink:

I thought plane rides were annoying until I took a 6 hour train ride from Nanjing to somewhere; can't recall. We showed up right before it left and the nicer trains (higher speed, with actual seats to sit in) were all sold out. We had no choice but to take "standing" tickets. This means you pay for the ticket and get no refund and no ride unless you can cram yourself and luggage into the train. Take a wild guess what that train looks like by the time it finally gets going. 6 hours of standing in a can of human sardines that are mostly poor peasants who haven't bathed recently; don't even think about trying to make it to the end of the train to the rest room.

NY to Sydney ......... 22 hrs of pure hell! Would have stayed down there if it were not for wife and kids. :rolleyes:

What about the dog?

I had a 8+ domestic flight Orlando to Seattle, spent at least an hour circling a dark Puget Sound, the big blackout of 06, on an Alaska 737. That was pure hell. None of that comfy widebody stuff.

Miner

He wasn't born yet, thank goodness, no way I'm gonna leave him. :smile:

i had a 12hr flight when i went to rio de janerio, brazil. It was brutal and i vowed the next flight i wouldn't fly low class, im upgrading to business class!!!! It smelled like billie goats in the back.:smile: i tried to upgrade to business clas where the seats lay flat and got my bubble burst with a 5k upgrade bill!!!!:eek: I had enough liquor in me to sleep most of the way home a watched"house of sand and fog" on dvd. Carnivale was worth a 24hr flight!!!!!:biggrin:

Did the same, flew Varig, they threatened to have me arrested in San Paulo (where we stopped before Rio). Long story, horrible flight, the flight crew clearly did not like Americans. Never again.

I thought plane rides were annoying until I took a 6 hour train ride from Nanjing to somewhere; can't recall. We showed up right before it left and the nicer trains (higher speed, with actual seats to sit in) were all sold out. We had no choice but to take "standing" tickets. This means you pay for the ticket and get no refund and no ride unless you can cram yourself and luggage into the train. Take a wild guess what that train looks like by the time it finally gets going. 6 hours of standing in a can of human sardines that are mostly poor peasants who haven't bathed recently; don't even think about trying to make it to the end of the train to the rest room.

Done similar when I was in school. No proper seats. Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, an overnight slow train!

NY to Sydney ......... 22 hrs of pure hell! Would have stayed down there if it were not for wife and kids. :rolleyes:

Single leg?! Thats torture indeed! Bring back the Concord with much much bigger fuel tank!:biggrin:

Back