• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

lug nuts for OEM wheels (02+)

The SOS site states that: 'Aftermarket wheels are not compatible with the factory lug nuts.'

I've aftermarket lug nuts (from Rays wheels) and like to use them on the 02+ wheels. Does that work? The FAQ doesn't say anything about the shape of the OEM lug nuts.

The SOS site states that: 'Aftermarket wheels are not compatible with the factory lug nuts.'

I've aftermarket lug nuts (from Rays wheels) and like to use them on the 02+ wheels. Does that work? The FAQ doesn't say anything about the shape of the OEM lug nuts.
No, that doesn't work.

The area in which the lug nuts and the wheels come into contact is called the seating area. For contact across this entire area, the shape of the seating area must be the same on the lug nuts as on the wheels. The factory lug nuts and the factory wheels both have a ball-shaped (or spherical or radius) seating area. Aftermarket wheels have a conical-shaped (or cone or tapered) seating area, which is why they need aftermarket lug nuts with a conical/tapered seating area.

If you use lug nuts with the wrong shaped seating area, they will only come into contact along a circle, and it will be very easy for them to work loose, and possibly snap a stud.

cone_radius_verification.jpg

Ken, thanks for the info. I've a set of lug nuts in my garage but don't know if these are OEM NSX ones. Getting the camera...

definitely conical.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Are the lugs the same for Pre-2002 wheels are they are for 2002-2005 wheels?
It depends on which pre-2002 year you're referring to.

NSXs came with two different lug nuts, depending on year. The 1991-1996 NSX (and also the 1999 Zanardi Edition) came with lug nuts with a gloss black finish, part number 90304-SA7-811. The 1997-2005 NSX (excluding the '99 Zanardi) came with lug nuts with a chrome finish, part number 90304-SA5-013. I believe the only difference between the two is the finish.

Back