• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

M3 vs. M5

Anyone have any thoughts on 02-03 M5 vs. 03-04 M3? Obviously size is the first thing...

What about reliability, fit/ finish, performance? Any issues you've seen that are common (ie snap ring for NSX)?

They seem to be selling around the same price range and I'd be interested to hear -Xers thoughts, as many of you have owned both!

Thanks

Apples to oranges. I have had both (currently have the M5). It depends on what you want.

M5 is more luxurious and comfortable. M3 is sportier and much more raw.
M5 comes pretty much full option with full leather and suede headliner. M3 is much more minimalist and need to add options.
M5 is torquier and has more grunt at the lower rpm band. M3 is rev happy.
M5 has more muscular sound. M3 sounds higher-pitching, raspier.
M5 feels heavy all the time. M3 is very light on its feet.
M5 is more practical. M3 has back seats, but is difficult to access.
M5 is more exclusive (you do not see them many on the road). M3 is more common.
M5 has better built quality. M3 rattles a lot.

Both are awesome cars. At the end of the day, however, I've had more fun in my M3. If I did not have a family and did not have an NSX, I would've definitely stayed with the M3.

Good luck.

Yeah, I was looking at the same thing.

It's a tough call... the M3 is so sexy, but there's something cool about the 400hp M5.

I'm thinking about picking up an M3 convertible for the wife... so I can borrow it here and there.

Thanks for the input.

What about thoughts on same range standard 3 and 5 series? I don't need another car, but i can't use my work car for personal use, so I was looking for something cheap...

M3/5 may be out, as I don't really want a car payment (even if they are only 20-25k)

I'm leaning more towards taking about 7k cash and having something in the garage for when I need/ want to drive it...

Saw a bunch of 5 series in that range... 528-540's, and plenty of 3's- would probably only do a 330.

Any thoughts on my new parameters?

Get an older M3. I've been lurking on those as well...

1995-1999... the later years have the 3.2l vs 3.0 engine and a little more oomph.

If they've been taken care of, you'll have a fun car to mess around with.

figure 7k to 15k range depending on shape/miles.

M5s are riots to drive and make effortless powerslides all day long. I'd take an M5 but drive both and see what you like.

I have a 99 E36 M3 and good ones can be found for 8-12k. 240hp, light weight, pretty reliable if you don't get one a kid has destroyed. They are great fun to drive, go test one and see if you'd be happy with it. The E46 330is are more modern, elegant if you will, and would also be a good dd.

IMHO the last gen M5 is a ultimate Q ship. Since the latest M5 has its share of controversies the 2001 - 2005 MY is going to be a collector car.

I have been thinking of getting one but it doesn't look like its going to happen(wife just had a baby).

There are issues with the E39 M5. Just be aware of them before getting one. I think they're fabulous cars and would easily take one of those over an E46 M3.
Check m5board.com and do your research. Good info there.

Also, I'd think twice about getting an E46 M3 vert. As they age, the creaks and rattles are soooo magnified.

IMHO the last gen M5 is a ultimate Q ship. Since the latest M5 has its share of controversies the 2001 - 2005 MY is going to be a collector car.

Ritesh

I hate to break it to you.....but the E60 M5 is the last of the M breed. NA V10. We won't be seeing that ever again.
;)

I have had my 98 528i now for 4 years (the longest I have had any car.) My dad bought it brand new. My wife and I just took it on a 3200 mile road trip...it now has 152.5K on it and still runs like a champ. I've had to replace normal things, ball joints, front shocks and stuff, but overall, its been a very reliable and great car to own...when I get rid of it it will only to be to get a newer 5 series. My biggest complaint about it is its lack of power...its also an auto. But I did once get 31.7 mpg on a tank of gas during a road trip. If I was going to spend 7K cash on a daily driver...I would buy another E39 5 series in a heart beat. I used to have an 89 535i as well and it had 195K on it when I got rid of it and in some ways it was in better shape then my 528i.
If you can find a good 540i sport for that money, I would do that. The V8's to seem to need more attention though, especially the cooling system.
Back to your original question though...M5 without a doubt for me.

Thanks for all the replies. I like to hear other people opinions/ experiences.

One thing though... When the previous poster stated the 01-05 will be a collector... didn't the e39 end production in 2003?

Thanks for all the replies. I like to hear other people opinions/ experiences.

One thing though... When the previous poster stated the 01-05 will be a collector... didn't the e39 end production in 2003?

Yes, the e39 M5 ended in 2003. I have an 03' w/ 44k miles on it. It's a great car. Compared to the e46 M3 it can certainly hold its own esp. on the highway. As for reliability issues, just look out for 2000 models w/ potential VANOS issues. The 2000 also had halogen headlighs and non LED tails. I would get a 2001 and up...no brainer. My bro has the e46 M3 vert and it's a blast with the open air. However, I think the acceleration of the M5 is silkier esp. on the highway. Definitely more luxurious/roomy/comfy in the M5. Although there are many examples out there for low 20s, the pristine ones are in the high 20s and low 30s...still a bargain. I would shoot for 60k miles or less w/solid maintenance.

Jeff

Good to know. There are two local M5's here, both with 90k miles on them.

The 2000 is going for $15k. The 2002 is going for $19k. Sounds like even though the mileage is the same, the 2002 is the safer bet.

I can't believe how cheap they've gotten.... I think this would be a fun car to own for a few years.

Thanks for the offer on the car Jeff, but a little out of my price range right now. I just got rid of my 07 Audi because I don't want a payment on a *nice* (not thrilling but nice) car... I think I am going to be good a keep to my original 7k budget. I have a work car and we are feeding the economy by having a pool and backyard put in, so I am going to wait a couple years and get something *stupid nice*!!

Here are the frontrunners right now:
02-ish 540i sport
02-ish 330 sedan
jeep wrangler
02 volvo s80 t6 (starting to read alot of bad things tho)
acura 3.2tl s-type (probably the most practical one, plus I obviously have an affinity for acura!)

we'll see what i end up pulling the trigger on, just need something to drive one or two nights during the week and the occasional golf game on the weekends...

Thanks for the offer on the car Jeff, but a little out of my price range right now. I just got rid of my 07 Audi because I don't want a payment on a *nice* (not thrilling but nice) car... I think I am going to be good a keep to my original 7k budget. I have a work car and we are feeding the economy by having a pool and backyard put in, so I am going to wait a couple years and get something *stupid nice*!!

Here are the frontrunners right now:
02-ish 540i sport
02-ish 330 sedan
jeep wrangler
02 volvo s80 t6 (starting to read alot of bad things tho)
acura 3.2tl s-type (probably the most practical one, plus I obviously have an affinity for acura!)

we'll see what i end up pulling the trigger on, just need something to drive one or two nights during the week and the occasional golf game on the weekends...

NP. My in laws have 01 and 03 330i sedans. They are a blast to drive and cheap to acquire/maintain. I have wrenched on the 330i (plugs, pulleys, belts, filters, sensors, brakes) and it's relatively straight forward to work on. I have solid parts resources if you need it. Oh, BTW, I would stay away from the 540i sport and go the M5 route if you are going to the 5 series. IMO, if you are going to pay for the 5 series maintenance, you may as well get the ///M. Good luck.

Jeff

I just drove my first E36 tonight.... pretty cool car.

I'm having a hard time finding decent cars in my area however... lots of high mileage garbage. The one I drove was nice, but I don't really want another black car.

I don't have an NSX or M3, but I bought a well cared for '01 M5 a few months ago with 66k on it for a little under $20k - I spent another couple grand putting new tires and rear brakes on it, plus fixing a common P/S leak.

These cars are surprisingly reliable, though maintenance is not cheap. Like others have said, read the m5board for good info. It is a blast to drive. Power at every rpm in every gear, unlike the M3 and even the V10 M5 - at one point at low revs, the M5 V8 makes something like 60lb/ft more than the V10. The ride is absolutely plush, interior is lovely, and it has a classic style. Very entertaining all-rounder - can cruise in the utmost comfort and also blast through fun roads with surprising agility and speed.

For me, I like the M3 but it kills me that I see several every day, whereas I might see one E39 M5 per month. If that doesn't convince you, this article basically states that the E39 M5 was possibly the best M-car ever offered in the States (the E30 M3 Sport Evo and E46 CSL that finished above it were not available here). http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/evo.pdf

I just drove my first E36 tonight.... pretty cool car.

I'm having a hard time finding decent cars in my area however... lots of high mileage garbage. The one I drove was nice, but I don't really want another black car.

Doc-I've owned 2 E36 M3s in the past..one heavily modded w/ a blower, ltw flywheel, exhaust etc..put down 330rwhp. Parts are relatively cheap and it's very easy to work on. My bro in law sold his pristine E36 M3 w/ high mileage...170k miles orig. motor for $9k 2 years ago. Not kidding you, the paint was all original with exception to front bumper repaint. It looked as if it came off the showroom floor. Be patient as there are some fine examples out there.

Jeff

Doc-I've owned 2 E36 M3s in the past..one heavily modded w/ a blower, ltw flywheel, exhaust etc..put down 330rwhp. Parts are relatively cheap and it's very easy to work on. My bro in law sold his pristine E36 M3 w/ high mileage...170k miles orig. motor for $9k 2 years ago. Not kidding you, the paint was all original with exception to front bumper repaint. It looked as if it came off the showroom floor. Be patient as there are some fine examples out there.

Jeff

I looked at a sedan and a SC'd coupe yesterday. The cars were decent, but showing some wear. I'm just going to wait for the perfect one, or dump more money into my NSX. lol.

if you get a well taken care of m5 you will be set, if you keep up on the maintenance it will treat you very well.

you can be in 5th gear going 30mph smash the gas and it goes:eek: the m5 is an awesome car if you dont want a "boy racer" style car, its very subtle yet powerful looking

m3 boy racer

Exactly the reason why I sold my E46 M3 vert.

Back in '01, I remember shopping for a '01 E39 M5 that stickered $95K. Those were the good'ol dot.com days. These days, I'm not sure if I want to keep a 8-9 year old german car in my stable unless I plan on visiting the shop alot.

Back