• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Made my own mesh engine-cover

MvM

Legendary Member
I had been thinking about making my own mesh engine-cover for some time now. Even had bought a second one but just never seemed to get around to it. After seeing a very nice DIY-NXS Type R in the picture-forum last week, I finally decided it was my turn.

Take the spare cover that I had, the first step was the removal of the strut and its keeper and the sound-proofing of the cover and the rubber molding along the edge. The inner liner is fixed with clamped on metal studs that are easily removed with a flat screwdriver. That took about five minutes.
Second step was drawing the size of the window. For this you can use a piece of wood of a length of your choosing. With a sharp nail hammered through, you can scratch a line at a constant distance from the edge. Also, I cut out a piece of carton to make the final arcs and drew the nail along it's edge for the final part. This took me about 1.5 hour.

The hole was cut with one of those vibrating saws after which I used the sanding bit to sand all the curves of the hole. By moving the sanding-bit along the edge in a constant motion the curves became nice and smooth. I also cleared an area around the hole of the supporting ribs and then sanded everything flat. This will take you two to three hours easily. Wearing long sleeves might be nice as the plastic can be very irritating to your skin. A dust mask might also be a healthy thing to wear.

I had already cut the mesh roughly in size with a pair of pliers before and now I cut it to its final dimension. In my case, the mesh was just 40 inches wide which limited the size of the hole. Since the engine-cover is raised in the middle, you have to bend the mesh in order to make it fit. Take your time for this because a good fit is important if you want the result to look right. I used a piece of wood to make the curves but you can use anything with a rounded edge for this.
I chose to glue the mesh to the cover with one of those modern superglues only to find out I didn't have enough clamps. So I ended up with doing first the straigh edges and then the corners. Had some trouble with those bent part of the mesh because it was kind of springy so the glue had to hold it against the tension (that's why you have to bend it carefully or the glue won't hold). Finally however, everything was where I wanted it. To prevent rust I made sure to put a decent primer on the mesh before finally painting it black. After that I had a nice engine-cover with a very ugly looking underside (just look at the picture).
I tried to use the original sound-proofing (as in the FAQ) for the underside but the cuts I made were not very nice to look at. Also, because a lot of the supporting ribs were now gone, there was a gap between the liner and the upper-deck that didn't look right. I bought some adhesive black tape and then covered all the mesh and glue. Spray-painting the cover was the finishing touch. I tested the spray paint on the felt of the cover and found it didn't make it feel different so I painted to whole top and a part of the underside before I run out of paint.

Everything took me a good three days including the waiting for glue or paint to dry but I think the end-result is worth it.

The new engine-cover weighs just 7.9 lbs as opposed to the 13.9 lbs for the original so a weight-saving of 6.0lbs (2.7kg) was achieved.

I noticed several things with the new cover in place.
While driving, the sound-level of the engine not much different.
I also noticed that the hatch will fall in its lock very easy so you will have to be more careful with that now.
The new cover is much more flimsy than the old one so don't be to hard on it. Also, the mesh gets very hot while driving so I would suggest using the rightt glue and paint.

Do do this yourself you don't need much tools. A wrench, a set of screwdrivers, sharp pliers, some kind of saw, sanding paper, glue and clamps and a can of paint and primer.

Below I have listed some picture that I took during my little project. I don't know yet if I will keep the mesh cover. I had thought about a lexan window also but decided I can always put that in if I change my mind. For now, I like the new cover.

The original cover:

Attachments

• cover1.jpg
    cover1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 695
And this is the underside of the new one. Not nearly as pretty as you can see. I'm going to look for adhesive black felt to do that again. Nice job for a rainy Sunday perhaps.

Attachments

• cover8.jpg
    cover8.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 760
I would like to be the first to commend you on your brave and outstanding work. I think it look fantastic! It is so nice to see NSX owners who are not willing to give up crazy money to "the man" and put some hard work and passion into their own cars.

Justin in AZ

Hi snyper2727,
Thanks for the compliments. It is not difficult to do at all. If you take your time anyone can do it. I used glue from Pattex but I think most epoxy-based can be used for this. Just make sure the surfaces are smooth and clean (degrease the materials first).
I could not find the aluminium-mesh I wanted but found this steel mesh which is galvanized. Cost me more than I expected. Very sharp when cut with pliers! You can used caliper paint in any color that you like after priming although I used standard black paint this time. Did use a whole can though.

Mesh Grille for engine cover

MvM, GREAT WORK!! This is my next project. I have already ordered the mesh (www.mcmaster.com and search on mesh) and chose the flattened expanded aluminum. Not sure if I'll paint it or not, but will probably go with black, since the rest of the car is black as well. If not I'll leave it naked and it can be cleaned with a Scotch-Brite pad to keep it shiny.

I do have a question for you: after you cut the opening in the hatch cover, did you put any kind of a "cover" over the cut or just sand it smooth? Is it thin enough that you don't notice the difference between the top level of the plastic (covered with the fuzzy carpeting) and the mesh glued underneath? I didn't want to see a difference of 4mm-5mm and want to find some kind of lining or trim to cover the actual cut and make it look more professional... If I find anything I'll let you know!

Do you ever get down to the Frankfurt or Heidelberg area?

Don in Germany

Hi DonDavis,

With my cover, you do see the difference in height between the mesh and the rest of the cover. The difference is about 3-4mm.
I suspect you could, if you want, just sand the edge down to a minimum thickness of say 1-2mm to it would look like mesh and solid part of the egine-cover would be at the same level.
Actually, you're idea is not bad at all. When I was thinking about putting in a lexan window that thought had occured to me, although in that case I would have cut the lexan to exactly fit the window and then glue a second overlapping piece of lexan, being transparant anyway, of the window and cover on the underside to fix it to the cover. With the mesh, that would have been too difficult to do.

I will think about it a little more. The fun part is, of course, I can always put back my original cover and then start working on my mesh-cover all over again.

Sorry, forgot your second question.
No, I don't get to the Frankfurt area much. Although I should really go to the ring this year at least once if I can get some friends to attend. Never done the Nurnburgring as yet.

MvM... you are truly talented!!!

It looks amazing and professional!!

Back