• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Manual Window Regulator Swap

Inspiration:
I think we all have experienced troubled slow windows. While I was driving my little pickup truck that is almost just as old as the NSX, I noticed how easy and reliable its simplistic manual window regulators were. What would it be like to have manual windows on the NSX? Would it be an improvement?​

Proof of Concept:
Before I start to cut into a door panel, I just wanted to see if this was even feasible. That's how the proof of concept project started. Could I even get the regulator to work?​

The Project:
  • I ordered an aftermarket manual window regulator from an Accord of the same era. Purchased from Amazon.
  • After opening up both regulators, I was please to see the cable diameters were the same. In addition, the “cable stoppers” where the same size and shape as well.
  • Swapping the regulators was pretty straight forward. The manual regulator was much easier than the electronic one. Already, I can see the manual one was an improvement.

Observations:
First time making a video. I hope it works. See link below.​

As you can see from the video, I was able to get the manual regulator “installed” and successfully lower and raise the window. I did noticed a little stack in the cable which may give some reliability problems, so that would have to be addressed.​

I can easily make some brackets to mount the regulator; however, I think the positioning of the window handle would be too far back to be ergo friendly.​

Conclusion:
It some ways the proof-of-concept was a success. It proved that it was do-able, but also highlighted some issues.​

• There is slack in the cable. Perhaps adding an oversize pulley to the track similar to Hugo’s design can remove the slack?
  • Mounting the regulator to be ergo friendly will be a challenge due to space constraints. There is not a lot of room in the door panel unless the Bose speaker is removed. Plus, a longer cable would have to be sourced. I am not sure how the cable stoppers/ends are installed.

The goal of the study was to see if this would be an improvement. I like the manual action to raise and lower the window. It was smooth and easy. However, addressing the ergo issue and mounting was more of a challenge than I want to deal with at the moment. I haven't even touched the challenges of cutting into the door panel yet. So, I ended up returning everything to stock and removing the manual regulator. I cleaned off the dark grease and put new recommended grease. Yes, I do have the SOS guide bushings. This post simply shares my findings with the community.​

I like the effort and expermination, but doubtful cranks can be better, faster, or cheaper than the stock electric with Hugo's kit.

So unless it is an all out stripped down race vehicle manual cranks would be difficult to justify. Even then you would probably use window pulls and straps...and then finally go down the [MENTION=8133]Doug[/MENTION]hHa route of full CF doors.

I do really appreciate Honda's Parts Bin Engineering. Allows us to maintain our NSX with a lot more ease.

very interesting. i see you're putting sip time to good use! did you consider using a window motor from an accord, prelude or legend? perhaps one of those could be swapped with little or no modification? i think someone had done it with a civic motor but it didn't mount in the exact same location.

I like the effort and expermination, but doubtful cranks can be better, faster, or cheaper than the stock electric with Hugo's kit......I do really appreciate Honda's Parts Bin Engineering. Allows us to maintain our NSX with a lot more ease.
@drew Thanks for the comments. By all means, this definitely was not going to end world hunger or find a vaccine. The truck sits outside all of its life and the windows never had any problems. I was simply curious if the simplicity of manual would be worth it. From the study, it doesn't seem like it without major efforts.

The more I think of it, the electric motor is pretty reliable. I have not heard of any failing. Instead, it's the friction of the tracks that is the root cause. Hence why SOS has the guide bushings and @hugo has his pulley system. So, I was approaching this all wrong to begin with. Nevertheless, it was a fun little project to think outside the box.

very interesting. i see you're putting sip time to good use! did you consider using a window motor from an accord, prelude or legend? perhaps one of those could be swapped with little or no modification? i think someone had done it with a civic motor but it didn't mount in the exact same location.
@I_M_Legend Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, cabin-fever is making me think of crazy projects. haha! I thought I share in case there are other mad folks out there.
I did see the FB post of someone using a Civic assembly. That is smart thinking. I think he was trying to address a broken cable. Thus, he replace the cable with one from a Civic. By doing so, he also replaced the window regulator with the Civic one. Well done to him.

Now seeing how the Accord assembly looks like, I think he would have better luck using one from an Accord. The Accord has the two cables coming out of one end just like the NSX. The Civic has the cable coming out of the motor housing from opposite ends. As you saw from the FB post, it works, but he was having problems mounting the motor. I predict he would have less problems with the Accord motor since it is similar to the NSX.

Back