• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Maserati GT... thoughts?

Just wondering is anyone has driven the new Maserati Gran Turismo and what their impressions were. I have a test drive scheduled for this week. I really like the looks of this car. I like the 4 seats. I like the interior, and I like it's sound. Any thoughts?

No, I won't be selling the NSX.

2008-maserati-gran-turismo-s-2.jpg

The reviews have been very good, but nobody is calling it a sports car. Of course, you have the NSX, so you already have one.

I think the car is stunning. I would wait for the "S" version though.

Its the cheapest Ferrari you can buy. LOL. Its definetly a GT car and not an all out sports car. I would say its a bit more GT than the AMV8.

GL - give us a detailed review.

I saw it in person looks really nice more comfortable and sportier looking than the older ones.

Saw it up close at FOCNJ a couple of weeks ago. Very pretty car, sounds fantastic. Only comes with "flappies" and the hit on depreciation will be large and instantaneous (IMHO). It's a nice touring car, by no means a "sports car". You've taken big hits on new cars before, this one will be no different.:eek:

Honestly, it drove very much like a Quattroporte Sport/GTS ... And I can't honestly see why I'd get the 2 door version for the reason especially if you would keep the NSX. Again those are my thoughts. The Quattroporte is probably the smallest of the large luxo sedan group (Jag XJ, Lexus LS, S-Class, 7-Series, A8s) but when you recline the rear seats it is probably the most comfortable minus the new LS's Long Wheelbase version with the Lounge Chair option.

I'd drive a quattroporte and after driving the coupe and compare that an 05 quattroporte with 30k miles can be picked up for cheap.

I've attached the one I was looking at before that went a hair above 60k.

Attachments

• Front Side.JPG
    Front Side.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Rear Side.JPG
    Rear Side.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Yeah that depreciation really has me concerned.

I forgot which maserati model was on the HBO series entourage a Quattroporte or Grandsport, but it was convertible and SICK!! The interior looked sooo nice. Any pics of that one...:smile:

Saw one on the highway this morning. Looks pretty good

I was pacing one of them in January - on 75/375 headed into Detroit - he was heading for the big Auto Show @ COBO.

Seemed to drive in the white stuff OK, but the driver was not pushing it.. had the tires singing on my little Nissan rental econobox when I blew by.

Car looks good on the road... agressive, Aston-esque rear quarter haunches. Front end looks mean. Maser also has a new auto-box that is MUCH smoother than their herky-jerky manu-matic. Hopefully a DSG setup is in the works.

I think its a pretty GT coupe - the Italian "character" gives it an edge over some of the competition. If the earlier Maser sedan (car from Entourage a few seasons ago, before they moved to an S-class) is any indication, the interior should be fab.

I pulled up behind one at a light the other day. Gorgeous car and great sound, but yeah, I wouldn't buy a new Mas when you can get 2-3 year old ones for 45-50k.

I'm way more partial to the AMV8.

well I'll let you know how they compare tomorrow. I already went on a 2 hour test drive of the vantage.

I see them all the time here in London and they're always are stunning. No lie. They're gorgeous cars. Like the 8-series BMW back when it was new.

If the depreciation and maintenance doesn't bother you, I say go for it all the way. There's nothing cooler for a GT-sedan on the planet.

"Yeah that depreciation really has me concerned"
You have to throw depreciation concerns out the door...its a given in these cars and expect it to happen...one can take the depreciation hits, but the maint + depreciation can be a deal killer...

Very sexy car. Saw a black one on Aliso Creek Drive about a month ago. If I had the extra room and money, I'd get one. Very sexy in an evil way in person. I think the wheels alone are worth more than my whole Honda Fit haha. :biggrin:

Well some cars break with tradition when it comes to depreciation. From what I have seen the Aston Vantage V8 is holding its own, despite AM in general having horrendous depreciation. The V8 is a desirable car and that keeps its value high.

The old Maserati coupes just didn't have the goods. Not the looks, not quite the performance. So they depreciate. This one is a bargain. Ferrari engine, great looks, a great interior. This is a much better car than a CL. It has some soul. So I am thinking it won't tank in value as quickly.

Still, we'll see how it is after I test drive. I have a whole new perspective on what I like/don't like after driving around a supercharged NSX.

Well some cars break with tradition when it comes to depreciation. From what I have seen the Aston Vantage V8 is holding its own, despite AM in general having horrendous depreciation. The V8 is a desirable car and that keeps its value high.

The old Maserati coupes just didn't have the goods. Not the looks, not quite the performance. So they depreciate. This one is a bargain. Ferrari engine, great looks, a great interior. This is a much better car than a CL. It has some soul. So I am thinking it won't tank in value as quickly.

Still, we'll see how it is after I test drive. I have a whole new perspective on what I like/don't like after driving around a supercharged NSX.

I love the AMV8, and hopefully that will be my next car in a few years. But to say it holds it's value is way off. You can get an '06, that was $120 grand new, for about $85 grand right now. '07s aren't far off, as I've seen some as low as $87-88 grand.

I forgot which maserati model was on the HBO series entourage a Quattroporte or Grandsport, but it was convertible and SICK!! The interior looked sooo nice. Any pics of that one...:smile:

I think you have 2 different cars confused. The Maserati they were riding around in was a Quattroporte (the leased car that was given to them). They ended up giving it to that high school kid whose party they went to. Anyway the convertibles they had were Aston Martins (only a 2 seater). In one episode Vince went and bought 3 of them, but for some reason in later episodes only E still had one.

Ok I officially know too much about that show. :biggrin:

"Well some cars break with tradition when it comes to depreciation. From what I have seen the Aston Vantage V8 is holding its own"

I dont know where you might have come by this information, but the ones I have seen (06 and newer) are dropping 15k per year. I did a cursory search on autotrader and cars.com..If one likes the car, depreciation does not matter...It is a nice car though....

Stunningly beautiful car in person.

While 99.9% of the interior is outstanding, the fit and finish of the side airbags in the top of the doors is nothing short of horrendous. Someone should be taken outside and shot for alllowing that to go to production.

I wouldn't buy one unless I had Donald Trump money for several reasons:
- expected reliability
- the lack of a proper manual transmission
- I am already out of garage space:biggrin:

I love the AMV8, and hopefully that will be my next car in a few years. But to say it holds it's value is way off. You can get an '06, that was $120 grand new, for about $85 grand right now. '07s aren't far off, as I've seen some as low as $87-88 grand.

Right... in the world of luxury cars, that is not that bad. I don't know... I think you guys are all thinking NSX. 15K/year drop in value is actually reasonable when it comes to a lot of high-end cars. That's with them sitting in a garage acting like Cleopatra. You in no way compare the NSX to any car like this. Check Aston, Bentley, Mercedes, Maserati, all these cars tank quickly. Has anyone checked the prices on used rolls royces? The Vantage V8 would be worth 40K now if it was like the other Astons. Ferrari is an exception to this rule but kills you with maintenance instead.

Stunningly beautiful car in person.

While 99.9% of the interior is outstanding, the fit and finish of the side airbags in the top of the doors is nothing short of horrendous.

I actually thought that was a storage compartment. lol... I tried to open it. That is one really bad detail but the rest of the car and the interior were... well I was amazed. I really didn't expect that. It was a whole world better than the old Gransport. Really good quality materials. It felt luxurious. The car was georgeous inside and out. I didn't drive it because it started to pour. Will go back for a drive.

The salesperson... I honestly think he was selling Scion the day before. It was almost annoying him telling me the most basic things half of which were incorrect. Know your customer before you start yapping. Total opposite of my last experience at the Ferrari dealer where the sales WOMAN Natalia was rev matching and heel and toe downshifting with her high heeled shoes. :eek:

I think I wrote about her before. Her dad ran the office, her brother worked as a mechanic. I think she was born in the trunk of a Testarossa. Too bad the dealership got bought out and she went back to school. This salesman gave me a brochure on the car.

I get home and its to the Quatroporte. LOL...

Back