• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

May be time to say Bye Bye :(

I'm just not getting any value out of my NSX ATM :frown: My Wife is just about to give me child number 4 and I'm just not seeing any time in my life for the NSX. Went to my 3rd track day at Lakeside last week, and I've come to the conclusion I suck at it, and I'm just too concerned about hurting my car. I think if you want to track days , do it in a car you don't give a crap about loosing unless your loaded , which I'm not.

I'm toying with the idea of selling while the kids are young, put the money away for a few years, and i'd really like a Maserati Quatroporte or a similar 4 door family sort of exotic, so at least on weekends we can all go on family outings and I can enjoy my driving.

I'm a bit confused ATM, The NSX is the most reliable and best damn car I've ever had and I love it , but with the 2 seats it's a bit useless to me.

What do you guys think ?? Also if I do have to sell , is it best to put the car back to stock and sell all the goodies separately, like CTSC, skirts, exhaust etc ??

Cheers guys a bit bummed ATM :frown:

Hey Ricky,

Hang onto it until you're absolutely certain! You've put a lot of work into that car. Sure you're not just having a temporary midlife crisis on us? For guys like us that's when we SELL the sports car.

With 4 kids (congratulations!) I doubt you'd drive with complete reckless abandon no matter what you're driving; buzzbox, MX5 or NSX. And 3rd track session is very early days! Is it possible with more track time you'd start to relax and enjoy it more? In my experience people tend to enjoy doing things they're good at, and can be frustrated by things they're not yet good at.

Maserati as a daily driver sounds like a much less practical (and more expensive) proposition than having a NSX as a weekend toy. Also they are very beautiful cars but when you say you'd "all go on family outings"... how many of your kids are you leaving behind? :)

If you sell convential wisdom would be to put the car back to stock and sell the mods off seperately to get the best value.

However you say "The NSX is the most reliable and best damn car I've ever had and I love it". Sounds like some good reasons to keep it right there, even if you only use it occasionally.

Maserati as a daily driver sounds like a much less practical (and more expensive) proposition than having a NSX as a weekend toy. Also they are very beautiful cars but when you say you'd "all go on family outings"... how many of your kids are you leaving behind? :)

Hey Mate , Not so much a midlife crisis , just a change in priorities I think. My 2 eldest kids are 19 and 16 so pretty much flying the coop soon , one at least, he's moving to Melbourne as a Chef . It will be my wife and 2 new kids . I just know from previous fatherhood , that you get stuff all time to yourself, so at least if I had a car I could enjoy when taking the Fam out to god knows were it would at least not seem such a waste of vehicle. At least the NSX has not depreciated as a Maserati would. I have a family friend in the UK that can bring me back one after a year for cheap, real cheap while the $AUD is so good . The Maserati would still be a weekend car, just one with 4 doors, I drive a company banger during the week and the wife has a ford focus shopping cart.

Last edited:
Hey Ricky,

I wouldn't get too worried about not getting the track times you think you should for your car on a track like Lakeside. So what if it may have been your 3rd track day EVER but it's only your FIRST at Lakeside! It's a daunting track and trust me when I say you are right to feel scared about having an off there... You are pretty much guaranteed of writing-off your car if you do. Essentially its a street circuit. Just like Targa; if you come-off you will write-off your car... To drive 10/10ths at Lakeside or on a street circuit you must be driving a car which is fully funded by sponsors or it's stolen! Like those stupid V8 Supercars (Australian NASCAR :rolleyes: ) Look how upset they get when they’ve just put a $500,000 Commodore into a wall at 200kph! They couldn't give a s@$t!

None of us are any good at it mate and none of us are professional race car drivers either; otherwise we wouldn't have day jobs!

Put it into perspective... Going to the track is a bit of fun like a drive through the mountains! But without the fear of a speeding ticket!

I can't advise you if the NSX is the right car for you at this stage of your life, which is something only you can decide.

Anyway, whether you sell it or keep it, we should get together for a mountain blast sooner rather than later... :wink:

Cheers,

Hey Ricky,

I wouldn't get too worried about not getting the track times you think you should for your car on a track like Lakeside. So what if it may have been your 3rd track day EVER but it's only your FIRST at Lakeside! It's a daunting track and trust me when I say you are right to feel scared about having an off there... You are pretty much guaranteed of writing-off your car if you do. Essentially its a street circuit. Just like Targa; if you come-off you will write-off your car... To drive 10/10ths at Lakeside or on a street circuit you must be driving a car which is fully funded by sponsors or it's stolen! Like those stupid V8 Supercars (Australian NASCAR :rolleyes: ) Look how upset they get when they’ve just put a $500,000 Commodore into a wall at 200kph! They couldn't give a s@$t!

None of us are any good at it mate and none of us are professional race car drivers either; otherwise we wouldn't have day jobs!

Put it into perspective... Going to the track is a bit of fun like a drive through the mountains! But without the fear of a speeding ticket!

I can't advise you if the NSX is the right car for you at this stage of your life, which is something only you can decide.

Anyway, whether you sell it or keep it, we should get together for a mountain blast sooner rather than later... :wink:

Cheers,

Hi Mike , yeah your right, I saw so many cars come off, one of them hit a tyre wall, and busted up all the side panels, but as it was crappy track car the driver didn't seem to care. If that was my car I'd be devastated. Not sure what to do yet but a cruise would definatly cheer me up, know any good twisty mountain roads? 2 good ones are Ma Ma creek and Somerset, but maybe too far for you guys?

Hi Ricky,

Don't know Ma Ma Creek but I have done Somerset. My Fav from Brisbane is Mt Nebo / Glorious. See route click here

Hi Mike , yeah your right, I saw so many cars come off, one of them hit a tyre wall, and busted up all the side panels, but as it was crappy track car the driver didn't seem to care. If that was my car I'd be devastated. Not sure what to do yet but a cruise would definatly cheer me up, know any good twisty mountain roads? 2 good ones are Ma Ma creek and Somerset, but maybe too far for you guys?

Hi Ricky,

What are you thinking?

You said you're not rich, but then you mentioned purchasing a Maserati!!! If your happy to take out a second mortgage every time you get it serviced, that's possibly worth further consideration - not to mention the sensational residual value of these vehicles - NOT!

Now putting on my road safety cap, children model their driving behavior predominantly on that of their fathers. So if you are planning on driving fast with them in the car, don't be surprised if it has a negative influence in the way that they drive once they are old enough. I appreciate that this is some time down the track, but they are learning from the age of about 5.

So the bottom line is, keep the NSX, it will retain it's value, cost you bugger all to run in the scheme of things and give you a good reason to get out by yourself. It's also a much nicer looking car than the Maserati, so when women are looking at you, you can pretend that it's your striking good looks, not the car that they looking at!!!

Good luck with your decision, although I doesn't sound like a hard one to me.

All the best,

David.

Hi Ricky,

What are you thinking?

You said you're not rich, but then you mentioned purchasing a Maserati!!! If your happy to take out a second mortgage every time you get it serviced, that's possibly worth further consideration - not to mention the sensational residual value of these vehicles - NOT!

Now putting on my road safety cap, children model their driving behavior predominantly on that of their fathers. So if you are planning on driving fast with them in the car, don't be surprised if it has a negative influence in the way that they drive once they are old enough. I appreciate that this is some time down the track, but they are learning from the age of about 5.

So the bottom line is, keep the NSX, it will retain it's value, cost you bugger all to run in the scheme of things and give you a good reason to get out by yourself. It's also a much nicer looking car than the Maserati, so when women are looking at you, you can pretend that it's your striking good looks, not the car that they looking at!!!

Good luck with your decision, although I doesn't sound like a hard one to me.

All the best,

David.

I'm not diving into anything soon , I just have an opportunity to buy a UK car as I have a relative who can bring it over for me in a year, the way the $AUD is I could get a Masserati S for $55k, but your right, service costs would be a bitch, but after 3.5 years of NSX ownership I've only traveled 12,000 kms. Also I'm not contemplating driving fast with kids in the car, it's just that a nice 4 door would be much more practical. ATM the NSX is just sitting in the garage wasting Rego and I'm really not inspired to take big family drives in the crappy Ford focus. :confused: Its so hard to find a happy medium !!
In case you haven't noticed I have a massive boner ATM for the Masserati, maybe I should go and drive one , it may change my mind.

Hi Ricky,

Don't know Ma Ma Creek but I have done Somerset. My Fav from Brisbane is Mt Nebo / Glorious. See route click here
I've done that road once and got stuck behind a damn caravan!!, but you pick a time and place and we'll make it happen :smile:

Sounds like you need the NSX now more than ever! A little break now and then with the wifey or maybe alone
Don't call me Gay or nothin but I actually enjoy my wifes company :tongue: definately not a nagger, also part of the reason for another car, she won't set foot in the NSX.

Last edited:
SweetChuck, I can look after your NSX for a few years till the kids grow up... you can use it whenever you want. It's would be a HUGE burden for me, but I'd bear it knowing I'm helping another nsx fan..... :tongue::rolleyes::biggrin:

hey SweetChuck, don't be up sad man, I know you had put alot of work on your NSX and you will be missing her, but there sure do have lots of car that you are gonna like it as your NSX and suitable for you with kids
1-lumma-panamera.jpg

Life always comes to the time when you need to give up something for your family. Thomas sold his NSX (blue 02+ conversion) to me because he is also having more kids, and he also perfer a 4-door just like you and your wife do. But he seem like not regreting alot of selling his NSX to me as he probably has a better car now, another Holden V8 maybe? :biggrin:

As a father and husband, just do what ever it's best for your family

All the best man

Also off topic, if you're parting out your car to stock car, I will buy your CTSC :wink:

Back