Metro Carwash Costa Mesa is bad news

I took my 01 NSX into the car wash as I have done in the past. This particular carwash has not caused me any problems in the past. Unfortuniately on this date June 9th (My birthday to boot) I took the car in. I recently had the wheels refinished and powder clear coated. They looked great. Well upon arriving home I noticed as I wiped off any excess moisture from the mirrors excedera that my driver front wheel had been gouged on one of the spokes. It was mid way up and I knew it was not there yesterday. It was too high up for a pot hole as well. About a year ago I had taken my car into the Metro carwash owned by a different person in Tustin. After a number of washes (say about 10 or so) I started to notice that the finish on the spokes was getting scratched. When I brought it up to the manager, he admitted that the plastic insert can sometimes cut into the wheels especially if the car steers into it. So he was cool and paid to have my two wheel redone. From that time on when ever I brought my car in he would stay in the car and insure that the wheel did not hit the outside rail.

At one time the Metro in Costa Mesa owned all the other Metro carwashes. Now I think the guy just owns the one in Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach? Never-the-less both the Costa Mesa and the Tustin are setup exactly the same with respect to the track system that is used.

So I kind of knew that they (Costa Mesa) was probably responsible. Anyway I drove right back to the carwash and asked for the manager. He swore that it was impossible that his track could hurt my wheel. Remember these wheels are slightly bowled out (look at them from the front of the car and the spokes actually protrude out past the line created by the tire. We walked over to the entrance to the track and I poined out that there were metal welds that protruded and were in front of where the plastic strip begins. He got frustrated and said I needed to see the owner. I waited the owner came over and immediately told me it was impossible for their track to hurt my wheel.

I suggested we drive my car over and take a look to see if the gouge is the same height as the welds. He refused saying he is running a business. There were no cars in line to go through the car wash at that time. When we got close to the track he said I was not allowed to get closer. He then said he had a camera and pointed to it. I suggested that we look at the pictures and he refused saying only the Police are allowed. Finally when I asked him for his full name he told me to leave the premise or he would have my car impounded.

You can imagine I was pretty pissed off, but I maintained my cool. My wife was with me (sitting in the car) so we left. I considered my options, none at the time were worth prison. I got online and went to the better business bureau.

They are listed and have received a grade of "F" for having a number of complaints and never responding to them. So there you have it. I will have the wheel redone. Probably will cost me $100 or more depending on how much work it takes. Hopfully the gouge is not too deep.

So my advice don't go to the Metro on Harbor Blvd. in Costa Mesa, CA

Manny

Sorry to hear about your car. I went to the carwash on Beach and Garfield and I was happy with the results. They said my car was too low to go through the carwash tunnel, so they had 2 guys wash and wax my car by hand in a separate area in the back. I felt special! :biggrin:

With all the damages that the dealers, tire places, washes can do, whenever you take your car in for any kind of service, take a lot of pictures before you leave it with them. I've had similar things happen to me twice now so I'm going to spend about 5 minutes before each time I drop it off to go over it with my camcorder.

Sounds like this guy would have weaseled his way out of anything and he sure isn't going to get my business when I'm in OC. I hope you submitted a complaint with the BBB.

You and I know that you want people to see that car at the carwash. You run the risk of damage anytime you put your car in the hands of others. You don't want it to happen but that's the risk you take. I wash, clean, and maintain. I never take my eyes off that car if it's in the hands of others. Even valet..... you're asking for it..... my $.02. :smile: :biggrin:

Danny Yee.

I never take my NSX to any car wash with rails, levers, motors, etc. I used to take my NSX to the car was on Ellis and Brookhurst. Think it used to be called Beacon Bay. I pick my times as I know they get swamped certain days and times. When they are swamped they are less likely willing to pull someone off the line to wash my car individually. I bring the car in and have them handwash it with me watching. They never run it thru their system, and wash it by hand. Now you may ask why I do this, bottom line is my place doesnt have a driveway to wash my car in. I have since moved but found a place that also was willing to handwash my car. I pay a little over their usual wash price but at least I reduce the potential for bad things to happen.

My 2 cents.

never mind the carwash with tracks. I had a handwash place that pretty much sanded down my Black BMW finish with dirty mitts.

Took me 6 hours to remove the sanding marks with a PC polisher.

Best to wash your own car. Even the best place can screw up with a new hired or dumb employee.

scratch n' washes are for lazy people with beaters....WTF were you thinking?? :wink:

You and I know that you want people to see that car at the carwash.

I found this quote interesting. Do people take their nice cars to carwashes so they can have their car seen there? Is the carwash one of those "places to be seen"? Just seems strange to me that someone would do that for this reason and risk potential damage to paint and wheels. Can someone explain? I'm not being sarcastic. I've just never met an NSX owner who would do this.

mickeylex said:
I found this quote interesting. Do people take their nice cars to carwashes so they can have their car seen there? Is the carwash one of those "places to be seen"? Just seems strange to me that someone would do that for this reason and risk potential damage to paint and wheels. Can someone explain? I'm not being sarcastic. I've just never met an NSX owner who would do this.
I do believe some people do like to show off their cars at the car wash. I recently saw a Maybach 57 at the local car wash, under 90 degree sun, no shade, and two guys rubbing the shine off the car with wash mitts. What was the owner thinking? Doesn't he know not to wash the car in the sun. And to do so to such a nice car is a shame. So the only reason I think the owner had his car washed under that condition was to be seen. :confused:

mickeylex said:

I see it all the time , one here near marina del ray theres a little restraunt right next to it, when I eat there I see it happen, just wanting to be seen

Back