• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

Honda artifacts. Mostly two-wheeled but what a collection!

In August a friend talked up an acquaintance he had recently met. Total Honda devotee. Collector. Dealer. Buyer/Seller/Trader.
Located in an out-of-the-way, inauspicious and remote area where one would never know he existed.
After meeting Mr. Collector through my friend I know why. The portion of Honda artifacts I was treated to view proved beyond belief - there was, I am most certain, much more beyond what I saw. :eek:

Walked in the door to this and these -

ekVJapU.jpg

XLRgwfs.jpg

Believe me when I state every bike or collectible herein had a backstory, and Mr. Collector knew all of the backstories!

Have you seen Honda Hi Pals riding boots before? Oh h*ll no! Didn't even know about them... clueless.

kpaA18s.jpg

WvRxSJa.jpg

Honda mini-gen sets for powering the innovative Sony mini-portable TV's? He had multiples. Some NIB.

YAMEWAA.jpg

Some of Mr. Collector's "always-keepers" -

TsUbhXv.jpg

And finally, his rare Honda Dreams -

vfT4HVF.jpg

TRULY a wonderful introduction and visit/viewing. Mr. Collector enjoyed seeing our Imola Orange Pearl NSX and did get some pics of his own that day!

:smile::biggrin::smile:

A small but enthusiastic group got together and did the SE Michigan "Car and Driver" route yesterday. It is full of fun twisty bits and blind rises which are absolutely exhilarating. The group also traveled on Huron River Drive prior to the C&D route. We ended up going through Hell and got lots of thumbs-up from the folks there.
Some of us ended up at Baker's in Milford where the Sunday car show was going strong. Thanks to Jeff (red NSX) for organizing the drive, Bob (yellow NSX) for leading the group, Greg and Ken in the burgundy C8, Patrick and Ann Marie in their orange Jaguar F-Type, Brennan and Amy (+1 :wink:) in their silver NSX and Brian and Judi in our red NSX.

The weather couldn't have been nicer, and many other like-minded car and motorcycle folks were enjoying that as well. Fun stuff.

IMG_4610.JPGIMG_4614.JPGIMG_4612.JPG

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone. The weather was so nice today, determined to give us a last taste of fall before the dirge of winter starts to appear.... and it was bugging me that i couldn't remember that cool path from Hell to Baker's, so....

First, i spent a few hours on Monday night trying to find that route previously discovered a few months back. Thanks to Google Maps, with significant help from Street View, I appeared to figure out the path. Printed out some routes, including one potential improvement that looked good on a map, and off I went this am.

Took the fast path via M-14, and just getting on this road.... ran across this fella; i believe that plate used to be on a R8, and spouse owns a blue 2002-2005 NSX.

Jeckyl small.jpg

Anyhow, there was ZERO traffic out there; i was able to enjoy some of those sweepers on North Territorial quite a bit. And the C&D loop was completely open, so i was able to totally flog the MX-5, spending most of the time at over 4000 rpm & 60 mph. (Rob: you were right about the wavey repave job; I did not feel it in the F-Type, but it was 100% in my face with the Mazda). Pic below is an example of what C&D refers to as one of the "pucker-inducing blind rises."

PIBR small.jpg

After the Loop, then a partial re-take to get to Hell -- which also had zero traffic, so those sweepers near the bars were a total blast -- I headed to Dover, then the first half of the retraced route (also awesome roads) and then a new route to hook me up to the second half of the retraced route. i thought this new link would just be an ultra-scenic lake view road, but it was full of sharp turns, including a wicked S-bend with 15 mph speed limit and warning signs labeling it as "Devil's Bend" and yes, it was fun as i laughed like a schoolboy launching through that newfound gem.

After completing the second "lost road" i took the US-23 side drive to M-36 (aka 9 Mile) and headed towards home. Again, no traffic, so that first mile east of the freeway is full of GREAT bends and was a total blast.

So, fully documenting this work today, so it will not be forgotten in 2021. I'll be ready for a potential spring dustoff or a fall color ride, or just an early morning before the idiots run next year, with a final stop at Zukey Lake Tavern or Baker's....

Last edited:
Hi Guys - too bad I missed out last weekend. What great weather! I finally picked up something to replace my dearly departed NSX in September: this 2007 Aston V8 Vantage (manual, of course). I was pretty much set on a 911, but happened across a listing for one of these and couldn’t believe how cheap they were getting. And then to find out the lack of significant nagging issues and surprising reliability. I’m loving the raucous V-8 and its exquisite hand-built-ness and just about everything else thus far. Count me in on a spring 2021 drive!
fb67666a71a05ff158a11ae2a48a3850.jpg

Wow Dave, I look forward to checking out your new ride.....and of course your joining us on some fun drives in 2021 :cool:

Nice, Dave Enjoy! I actually have an idea I'm working on for a spring 2021 NSX and others full day outing. More on that later. I will be sure to include you. PM me your email address when you get a chance.

Best,
Jeff

Mother in law saw the crew on their drive. Apparently spoke with Rob. New job, busier than ever but now with more time off. Kids getting older and spending time with them - Honda Talons. Still at the track - joined NASA. Saw probably the worst NSX ever that was still running. Considered buying the car to send it back for the restoration - RUFFNSX was the plate. Black with ivory - looks like it had been painted with cans of underbody spray.

Work

I am looking at getting my Timing belt etc done early next year, to include the new style LMA’s cam plugs etc that need done. I am hour west of Toledo. I have talked to the dealer there and they have a 30yr tech that I know has seen some NSX’s but that’s about it. Wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions locations near that they have used that maybe in the general area. I do make trips to Gaylord and considered taking it up to Lovefab not sure if they do much of that anymore though having contacted them yet and that pretty long haul would have to wait until spring. Any suggestions on preventive things I wouldn’t mind hearing also. I have new coolants hoses for it, was debating on since the heads were going be partially apart if being older if any other suggestions should be done also Like head gaskets.

Last edited:
I am looking at getting my Timing belt etc done early next year, to include the new style LMA’s cam plugs etc that need done. I am hour west of Toledo. I have talked to the dealer there and they have a 30yr tech that I know has seen some NSX’s but that’s about it. Wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions locations near that they have used that maybe in the general area. I do make trips to Gaylord and considered taking it up to Lovefab not sure if they do much of that anymore though having contacted them yet and that pretty long haul would have to wait until spring. Any suggestions on preventive things I wouldn’t mind hearing also. I have new coolants hoses for it, was debating on since the heads were going be partially apart if being older if any other suggestions should be done also Like head gaskets.

A possible option for you (and everyone here) and info that I just learned last week. Speaking to the service advisor at Steve's European Auto in Waterford here (my wifes S7 was there for service), he informed me that they have a new tech who is NSX certified and can handle regular maintenance on them. Ask for JD, the service advisor, there and he can fill you in more and tell you if that's all something they could handle. Steve's has a good reputation and I've had good luck there. They did the alignment on my NSX last year for me.

A bit further but a good option is Brian at Source One Automotive in Maineville, OH 45039(near Cincy) (513) 683-0223
Stop by any given day is there will be 4-6 NSXs there getting work.

Happy New Year to all -

Seeing as this is the Michigan spotting thread, I was (pleasantly?) surprised to follow a LBBP car into downtown Plymouth this morning.

Good thing she shouldn't have to worry about much rust on the body I suppose.

blue.jpeg

On a personal note, my wife and I will be adding a +1 (son) in March. Still need to research which child seats are compatible for our cars!

Last edited:
A bit further but a good option is Brian at Source One Automotive in Maineville, OH 45039(near Cincy) (513) 683-0223
Stop by any given day is there will be 4-6 NSXs there getting work.

Got time penciled in for April to do a whole host of items:
-Valve Adjustment
-LMA
-Crankshield install
-VVIS butterfly screws locktite
-Passenger driveshaft replacement
The pricing was very reasonable. Will report back on the work and the experience.

@bmac congrats on +1! Let us know if ANY car seats fit.

On a personal note, my wife and I will be adding a +1 (son) in March. Still need to research which child seats are compatible for our cars!

Congrats Brenan!

I don’t want to bring the mood down but I just got back from Iraq. Transported my fathers body for burial at the holy city of Najaf. He lost his 7 week battle with COVID-19. He will be missed.

Little bit of info about the cemetery, well over 8 million people buried there. He was laid to rest next to his parents and siblings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvflLqHjlE

Be safe and hope to see you guys this summer.

So sorry to hear this.... condolences, my friend.

Such a horrible and unpredictable virus. One person has no effects...then with the next person it can be fatal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hibernation is over! She needs a fresh tune and fresh rubber, but otherwise ready to rock! I see Dunlop now has a Z3....I think I'm going to get a full set of those. My rear Z2's are about shot and the fronts are 10 year old Z1's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yQmamN9Ltyw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nice video! and i haven't seen the stack of cars! i need that capability...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

While its still sleepy time in the garage (storage mode), I decided to purchase a couple of the cool Davis Design Fab cupholder units for our NSXs;

http://davisdesignfab.com/cup-holder/

Also, since we've driven the Focus ST so little this Winter I wired it up with another battery tender....so we now have a total of 7 little green lights glowing in the garage!

Spring is right around the corner :biggrin:

Timing belt snowballing

Well I got the NSX down to Source One, and so far not good. Started with someone previously dumping stop leak in so pulled heads to find gaskets in shambles and cylinder walls burnt. I got the car 10 + years ago didn’t drive it a lot never really had overheating issues but maybe used a little coolant nothing I personally ever suspected an issue of. Sorry for the crappy pics or if I should make my own thread I don’t use forum much these days.
F8320FA4-AAA3-4A50-A793-389FEE4ABCEB.jpg36B559ED-EF4D-48C2-99D3-C8E3C26CC21B.jpgA4334DA8-3BA6-48F9-83A4-B8CD9570BCFA.jpg

Well I got the NSX down to Source One, and so far not good. Started with someone previously dumping stop leak in so pulled heads to find gaskets in shambles and cylinder walls burnt. I got the car 10 + years ago didn’t drive it a lot never really had overheating issues but maybe used a little coolant nothing I personally ever suspected an issue of. Sorry for the crappy pics or if I should make my own thread I don’t use forum much these days.

Aw man- so sorry to see this. I can create a new thread for you to document the rebuild process. LMK

Even though most knew it wouldn't be open, several car folks hit Baker's today since it was glorious 73*F this afternoon.

There were around a dozen cars at any one time, as many swung by to talk for a while then moved on.

Truly, it felt great to watch the turnover and talk cars with other like-minded people!

Looking fwd to driving season. Picked up my new toy in the background but the NSX still looks good against any modern car IMO.

9F5768EF-B9CB-419C-BA97-DDC62F475442.jpg

B38C1304-D7E6-4F37-96A6-2656AD814749.jpg

Back