• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

mid engine envy?

Joined
25 September 2002
Messages
1,103
Location
Vegas....Baby!
*Edited to reflect posts below.

Cruising home from Sonics after a tasty, (read micro) sundae I noticed a car show of sorts at the Porkys diner. Well having a little extra time I decided to check it out. Pulling into the huge parking lot a guy with a Porkys shirt waves me to a parking spot. Well, before ya know it, my NSX was in the "neighborhood" car show. I thought I was just parking the NSX.

Anyway, two young chaps in a bright red Mitsubishi 3000GT gets parked next to my NSX. While I was talking to some folks about 20 feet away, these young Turks just sit in their 3000GT aching for anyone to strike up a conversation about their sports car. Meanwhile a crowd has gathered around my NSX looking through the plexi see-thru engine hatch.

This goes on for some time and nobody is even giving the now excluded twosome sitting like baby birds in their 3000GT. I was observing this from a distance and the crowd just got thicker around the NSX.

Finally after about 45 minutes one of the them got out of the 3000GT and leaned over the engine hatch of my NSX, dropped his jaw, got back in the 3000GT and they drove away.

I actually felt sorry for them. After all, they were proud of their 3000GT and were sorely disappointed to be parked next to an NSX. They just came to show their car and nobody even gave 'em a glance. Poor guys.

My wife asked me what took so long to get an ice cream and I just said: "Oh, ya know, some folks wanted a looky at the car."



wODM5NzU0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
 
Last edited:
skyguy said:
Cruising home from Sonics after a tasty, (read micro) sundae I noticed a car show of sorts at the Porkys diner. Well having a little extra time I decided to check it out. Pulling into the huge parking lot a guy with a Porkys shirt waves me to a parking spot. Well, before ya know it, my NSX was in the "neighborhood" car show. I thought I was just parking the NSX.
The exact same thing happened to me a few weeks and and I really enjoyed it. I had pulled in to look at the old muscle cars and they waved me right into park with the rest. I already had the top off so I popped all the hatches and wandered off for a bit. When I came back I had a nice little crowd around my car.

As I was driving out later a spectator who was sort of in my way as I was creeping along wheeled around and pointed at my windshield and shouted "That's my car!!!" I stopped completely and he busts out laughing and says he used to have my car by which he meant he used to have a Brooklands Green 'T'. Yakked with him for a while and went home.

Anyway, I found a website that lists where these local meets are every week and I've gone back a couple times. It's fun. I've met some nice people who have some way cool cars. It's the same core bunch every week and since I don't have other NSX owners to hang with it'll do quite fine (even if I feel like a lion kitten adopted by wolves). :)
 
Klayton said:
Should i feel guilty now driving a sumthin-er-whatever mass production BMW?

i think he was implying.. since it was a "local car show" the mitsubishi in the eyes of the 2 guys sitting in there would've drawn attention since its a "fast" car.. but then again, when the nsx showed up.. it was an exotic.. or better stated, something the crowd never seen before.
 
azndng said:
i think he was implying.. since it was a "local car show" the mitsubishi in the eyes of the 2 guys sitting in there would've drawn attention since its a "fast" car.. but then again, when the nsx showed up.. it was an exotic.. or better stated, something the crowd never seen before.

Exactly!

Skyguy
 
I bet if you had an emblem with a horse on it rather than your "sumthin-er-whatever mass production" A emblem, you would make people even more envious of your ride. Sounds like that would make you oh-so-giddy.
 
Edwardo said:
I bet if you had an emblem with a horse on it rather than your "sumthin-er-whatever mass production" A emblem, you would make people even more envious of your ride. Sounds like that would make you oh-so-giddy.


LOL
 
Edwardo said:
I bet if you had an emblem with a horse on it rather than your "sumthin-er-whatever mass production" A emblem, you would make people even more envious of your ride. Sounds like that would make you oh-so-giddy.

Lighten up, Sheesh!

Of course the same thing would happen to me as the "two Guys" in the Mitsi....DUH!

It was only an interesting observation, not a big d**k contest. Again, I felt sorry for those two. Hell put me in thier shoes and of course it would be humbling next to an exotic. If a Ferrari Enzo was parked next to me do ya think my NSX would even get a passing glance? Hell no. I think some people missed the point of the story, it was an observation of human nature, nothing more.
 
dave22 said:
Look at the engine cover.
I am. That is why I made the comment. I guess an a/m one can have the defroster/antenna lines in it also but it just looks stock to me.
Guess I'm the only one that thinks this way??? :rolleyes:
 
I don't know if 3000GT or Stealth a "mass-production" cars, as they don't sell much... As far as nsx came out as top gun and "the exotic" from that era. 3000GT, Supra, Skyline and 300zx does deserve their "fast sport cars" title.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable when you refer the car as " Mitsubishi 300 sumthin-er-whatever ", you know that will recall the bad feeling of people calling my car as a honda Ferrari wannabe (or Covette-wannabe.. I'm serious :mad: )

another thought, I felt sorry for the two kids too, one way to avoid people looking at your car is sitting inside the car, instead of standing beside your car waving and smiling at walk-bys...

oh well... ;)
 
It was probably like this F430 not getting any attention from the crowd, even a Ferrari can be overshadowed by a Ford ;)

4656ford1-med.jpg


After reading the story felt a bit sorry about the kids on the 3000GT. BTW: There is no need to diss the 3000GT by calling it a Mitsi-300-thingy though :mad:
 
92NSX said:
I am. That is why I made the comment. I guess an a/m one can have the defroster/antenna lines in it also but it just looks stock to me.
Guess I'm the only one that thinks this way??? :rolleyes:

Did your engine cover have a large opening you can see the engine through stock??? If it did, it wasn't stock. Hope Auburn football does well this year. Not a huge Auburn fan, but I don't like Alabama!!!
Skyguy- I love the engine cover. It's awesome looking. I had a 300 er, whatever GT, and I always had mid-engine/NSX envy!! It was a fine car, but it was nothing like my NSX. I even had the retractable hard top Spyder VR-4 and still longed for an NSX. Thanks for the story!!
:smile:
 
Doc C said:
Did your engine cover have a large opening you can see the engine through stock??? If it did, it wasn't stock. Hope Auburn football does well this year. Not a huge Auburn fan, but I don't like Alabama!!!
Skyguy- I love the engine cover. It's awesome looking. I had a 300 er, whatever GT, and I always had mid-engine/NSX envy!! It was a fine car, but it was nothing like my NSX. I even had the retractable hard top Spyder VR-4 and still longed for an NSX. Thanks for the story!!
:smile:


whoa you had a spider VR4 - (bow down)
those are retardedly hard to get ahold of aren't they, as i have never seen a
VR4 spider, only the base Spider 3000GT :biggrin:
 
NSXDreamer2 said:
I don't know if 3000GT or Stealth a "mass-production" cars, as they don't sell much... As far as nsx came out as top gun and "the exotic" from that era. 3000GT, Supra, Skyline and 300zx does deserve their "fast sport cars" title.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable when you refer the car as " Mitsubishi 300 sumthin-er-whatever ", you know that will recall the bad feeling of people calling my car as a honda Ferrari wannabe (or Covette-wannabe.. I'm serious :mad: )

another thought, I felt sorry for the two kids too, one way to avoid people looking at your car is sitting inside the car, instead of standing beside your car waving and smiling at walk-bys...

oh well... ;)

Your right as rain! I was making jest and it came off badly.

*My post has been edited to reflect this.

Thanks:

Skyguy
 
Doc C said:
Did your engine cover have a large opening you can see the engine through stock??? If it did, it wasn't stock. Hope Auburn football does well this year. Not a huge Auburn fan, but I don't like Alabama!!!

I too hope Auburn has another great football season. Gonna be tough replacing 4 first round draft choices though.
Anyway, you cleared it up for me. The original post said 'hatch' and you are saying 'cover'. Two completely different things as we all know. I wasn't looking at one for looking at the other.
 
92NSX said:
I am. That is why I made the comment. I guess an a/m one can have the defroster/antenna lines in it also but it just looks stock to me.
Guess I'm the only one that thinks this way??? :rolleyes:

To clear up the hatch cover mystery: I bought it from another Prime member. It dosen't have any markings on it as to whom the manufacture is. It is a production see-thru cover made by some factory somewhere? It is plexiglass.

Skyguy





wOTkwMjI3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
wOTkwMjI4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
wOTkwMjI5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
 
I understand what you are talking about now.
Like I stated in prior post. You initially said 'hatch'. That is still glass on yours. Then someone pointed out that you were refering to the engine 'cover' that is under the hatch.
It's all good :biggrin:
 
Skyguy:

I must say that as a two time Vr4 owner, I was pretty offended and disappointed when I read the original post that you made. The 3000gt was definitely not a mass produced car by any means. Even though I do not own an NSX yet, I still get mad when people talk down about them on other car forums. Especially when people talk about the NSX and 1/4 mile times. They seem to think that is all that matters :rolleyes: I actually own a Spyder Vr4 right now that I bought in May. I am selling the Spyder in August to purchase the car I really have my heart set on "NSX" : ) I look forward to becoming an NSX owner in the next few months!

Here are some pics of my Spyder Vr4 if anyone cares :smile:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847720
 
B Feelgood said:
Skyguy:

I must say that as a two time Vr4 owner, I was pretty offended and disappointed when I read the original post that you made. The 3000gt was definitely not a mass produced car by any means. Even though I do not own an NSX yet, I still get mad when people talk down about them on other car forums. Especially when people talk about the NSX and 1/4 mile times. They seem to think that is all that matters :rolleyes: I actually own a Spyder Vr4 right now that I bought in May. I am selling the Spyder in August to purchase the car I really have my heart set on "NSX" : ) I look forward to becoming an NSX owner in the next few months!

Here are some pics of my Spyder Vr4 if anyone cares :smile:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847720

I'm playing devil's advocate: Even though 3000GT is arguably "mass production" car, but it's still using Eclipse chassis and have a lot of band-aid fix to cover design flaws. Result: heavy weight, had light, numb and inacurate steering, over sensitive 4WS system, overly stiff clutch...... Congratualation on your decision of purchasing a nsx; You will never be disapointed...
 
B Feelgood said:
Skyguy:

I must say that as a two time Vr4 owner, I was pretty offended and disappointed when I read the original post that you made. The 3000gt was definitely not a mass produced car by any means. Even though I do not own an NSX yet, I still get mad when people talk down about them on other car forums. Especially when people talk about the NSX and 1/4 mile times. They seem to think that is all that matters :rolleyes: I actually own a Spyder Vr4 right now that I bought in May. I am selling the Spyder in August to purchase the car I really have my heart set on "NSX" : ) I look forward to becoming an NSX owner in the next few months!

Here are some pics of my Spyder Vr4 if anyone cares :smile:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847720


I stand corected. Nuff said.

91%20to%2099%203S%20production.gif
 
2slow2speed said:
It was probably like this F430 not getting any attention from the crowd, even a Ferrari can be overshadowed by a Ford ;)

4656ford1-med.jpg


After reading the story felt a bit sorry about the kids on the 3000GT. BTW: There is no need to diss the 3000GT by calling it a Mitsi-300-thingy though :mad:

What kind of Ford is that ! ?
 
It's a Ford RS200, an Euro-spec Race car. I do not know much about it but I just knew this car as there was a Rally Race car built on it. Maybe the one is an homologated model? (You know Manufacturer had to make 500 or more road going version to fullfill the Group A regulations.) I missed the particular rule, because without that rule, we could never ever see M3, Evo and Sti Imprezzas.

Sorry, this car is at the time that I was saving my lunch money so I could buy copies of diff. Magazines (Junior High I guessed ?) and everything I read was in a distant memory, so my info. could be wrong :redface:

PS. The way this car drow the crowd is unreal, and of course, my theory stay corrected, the owner was very nice and with a little "group" (2 to 3 people) draws bigger group.

Opps. I did messed up, it's a group B, I should have know that, duh!!!
http://www.pistonheads.com/milestones/rs200.htm
 
Last edited:
Back
Top