• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Midnight Pearl is Hard to Capture

My uncle just got a 5 mega pixel camera, and I was hoping to capture the color, but it was very difficult :(

fbdb9332.jpg

fbdb934a.jpg

fbdb935c.jpg

You got that right. I had to Photoshop the colors to even get close when we met in Braintree. I brought up the color saturation and added yellow. The color shows poorly on an overcast day (What else do we have lately?....oh yeah...RAIN), even to the eye. It is subtle and needs favorable lighting. Try bright sunshine and get zoom in enough that you don't have a lot of background. Consider that the reflections add a lot of the coloring to a very shiny car. Gray skies are not what you want to reflect. This car would be other-worldly with a sunset lighting. You could also try an appropriate filter on the camera.

Thanks for your help and advice!!

Now I don't know how Midnight Pearl should look like anymore.. :( Time to move to California.

Tiger740 said:
Thanks for your help and advice!!

Now I don't know how Midnight Pearl should look like anymore.. :( Time to move to California.

I've seen your car, and it looks much better than that in person, afterall, why do you think the cop stopped you from leaving New Jresey, and not me!!!!!!:cool:

That is such a beautiful color. It's strange that they didn't continue offering it after 96, but I guess you're glad they didn't.....makes yours quite unique.

You got that right. I had to Photoshop the colors to even get close

As did I when I first attempted to photograph Midnight Pearl. In fact, I think the color totally threw off the developing lab because all of the colors in that pic came out funky.

I LOVE Midnight Pearl, and would have probably opted for it if it weren't such a difficult color to find. Thanks for posting the pics -- although they may not be optimal, they still capture the essence of the color somewhat.

Waiting for more pics when the weather improves.

Regards.

I agree. It's hard to capture, and you've got to have really bright sunlight. To get mine, I looked at the car from many angles. Once I saw a pronounced highlight, I changed my angle, moving in the direction that increased the highlighted area. I took the pic at an angle with max highlight but not too much glare (which was hard to avoid).

The first shot on my page was taken when the sun was at about 10:00 with respect to vertical, blasting the entire flank. The others were taken with the sun almost directly above, so I could only catch highlight on the top instead of the flank. I took hundreds of shots, but only got those 4 good ones.

Back