• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MOBIL 1 oil is JUNK

I'm no engineer, but these kind of seemingly shady decisions (ie, secretly switch to non-synth base stock) would be done for one reason only... to save money. But, if anyone here knows, synthetic base may not be ANY more expensive to manufacture than dino oils. I'd be awfully surprised if this was done to save a couple pennies, from a business standpoint.

I don't know, but industry folks certainly do.

Ron...your math looks a little gay. Sorry. :tongue:

Seriously - Mobil is the #1 full synthetic market leader by a longshot. A market leader doesn't defend that position by scrimping pennies on manufacturing (maybe dollars...have no idea about manufacturing cost differences synth vs. organic) and potentially jeopardizing that leadership with bad press JUST AS IS HAPPENING HERE.

I don't think the XOM execs are idiots at all. And now is certainly NOT a time when budgets are tight for any oil company. In other words - this, if true, is a business decision, not a short run financial decision.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about this. Even if entirely true. There will be hard data out in a year. I'll keep with M1 until I hear otherwise with facts.

Back