• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motor Trend Car of Year gives Nod to NSX

"Car of the Year is not Car We Like the Most, regardless of context. Otherwise we'd still be talking about the Acura NSX."

Love it. :)

Amazing how a 25 year old car is still held as one of the standards by which current cars are compared.

Whomever the author is of that article likes the nsx and what 30 something would'nt......the other possibility is that acura paid the mag in some way to have little snippets placed in scattered articles to keep nsx fever going till the launch of 2.0. Marketing has many facets.....think avengers..

Awesome... Motor trend is always finding ways to mention the ICON aka NSX....

Pretty cool that a car that hasn't even been made for 10 years is with in the first few sentences when talking about the
Car of the Year:cool:

Whomever the author is of that article likes the nsx and what 30 something would'nt......the other possibility is that acura paid the mag in some way to have little snippets placed in scattered articles to keep nsx fever going till the launch of 2.0. Marketing has many facets.....think avengers..
I think there was another writer on the grassy knoll. No way Lieberman acted alone.;-)

I think there was another writer on the grassy knoll. No way Lieberman acted alone.;-)

True Lieberman is a fan after driving it for the Head2Head piece but Angus Mackenzie , MT editor at large, must be too since he's responsible for the NSX being included in the Peterson Museum's Greatest Sports Coupe collection.

Last edited:
I think an important guy over at Motor Trend was the reason the NSX made it into the 'World's Greatest Sport Coupés' exhibit at the Peterson Auto Museum here in Los Angeles. I went to the exhibit. The display car was a beautiful FR '91 with 11k miles.

... And I just realized someone else made a comment on the Peterson. Oops. Haha.

Of all the glowing articles in all the car mags when the NSX was introduced, the "glowingest" of all may have been the ones that appeared in Motor Trend. Car and Driver liked the car a lot. Road & Track absolutely raved about it. But MT's reaction can only be described as orgasmic. So, pretty much like each of us when we first got our hands on one.

If my memory serves, they said it might just be the best car ever...period.

Last edited:
Of all the glowing articles in all the car mags when the NSX was introduced, the "glowingest" of all may have been the ones that appeared in Motor Trend. Car and Driver liked the car a lot. Road & Track absolutely raved about it. But MT's reaction can only be described as orgasmic. So, pretty much like each of us when we first got our hands on one.

If my memory serves, they said it might just be the best car ever...period.

IIRC, I think that was either a '94 or '95 MT issue. Yeah, there were pretty effusive about the NSX. I think by '97 or '98, the polish wore off a bit.

You'll never see a Ferrari or Lamborghini on the list either.... I think that award is usually awarded to more everyday type cars that the average person could afford ...

Not entirely true. In 2009 they gave the award to the GT-R, a car that cost about the same as the original NSX. Then in 2013 they choose Tesla, a similarly priced car that their average reader cannot afford either.

I suppose the editors would say they made exceptions for the above cars since they're so special in their eyes. Yet for the NSX which never received such an exception they have the gall to say today that it's the "best car ever". I see this as somewhat revisionist. It's a sign that respect for the NSX has improved since 1991.

Back