• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motorcycle - Best Power Cruiser?

I'm in the market for a performance/power cruiser. I have ridden:
Yamaha Warrior
Harley V-Rod
Victory 8-Ball
Kawasaki Mean Streak
The Warrior wasn't too interesting (this bike gets high praise, so the used one I rode must have been a dog), the V-Rod is excellent but has higher maintenance costs, it's higher priced and a small gas tank where you have to refill every 100 miles, the Victory is good overall but has a clunky shifter and is not very inspiring to ride, the Mean Streak is reasonably priced and handles the best of all. I'm leaning towards the Mean Streak right now. If anyone has experience with these bikes, your comments will help my decision since the only bikes I've owned are Honda, BMW and Triumph. The Honda VTX 1800 is just too big IMO. I'm looking for something at least 1500cc. I'm not looking to tour, so no big touring machines interest me.
THX for your input -

If you are talking POWER cruiser..what about a V-MAX? Be prepared you will spend a lot on rear tires.LOL

If you are talking POWER cruiser..what about a V-MAX? Be prepared you will spend a lot on rear tires.LOL

I've ridden the VMAX and it's an impressive machine - no doubt! There's just too much going on there with 4 cylinders, the handling suffers from rider seat height and the gas mileage isn't great. I've always liked the bike, I just never wanted to own one :confused:.

The Drifter is too retro IMO. The M109R is a beautiful machine - wow! But at 764 lbs. it gets into that humongus touring category. Yamaha has a new model ride day 06-22, and I'll be there sorting them out. Fun is riding a new bike!

Check out the Honda Rune. Six cylinder limited run bike. Expensive though. You will not see many of them that's for sure. Plus your keeping in the Honda family.

I'm in the market for a performance/power cruiser. I have ridden:
Yamaha Warrior
Harley V-Rod
Victory 8-Ball
Kawasaki Mean Streak
The Warrior wasn't too interesting (this bike gets high praise, so the used one I rode must have been a dog), the V-Rod is excellent but has higher maintenance costs, it's higher priced and a small gas tank where you have to refill every 100 miles, the Victory is good overall but has a clunky shifter and is not very inspiring to ride, the Mean Streak is reasonably priced and handles the best of all. I'm leaning towards the Mean Streak right now. If anyone has experience with these bikes, your comments will help my decision since the only bikes I've owned are Honda, BMW and Triumph. The Honda VTX 1800 is just too big IMO. I'm looking for something at least 1500cc. I'm not looking to tour, so no big touring machines interest me.
THX for your input -

Aprillia Dorsoduro or Aprilia Tuono V4R

Triumph Thunderbird with 1700 big bore kit or the Storm model comes standard with it and get a suspension kit does everything good except real tight corners

I rode the new Yamahas and the Stryker is the one I'd choose. The new Raider SCL just feels heavy. The VMAX was the worst. Punchy power, terrible clutch, 27 MPG and high center of gravity resulting in terrible handling (most powerful bike I've ever ridden though). Also rode the Honda VTX 1300C and can't say it's bad in any way - it's just not inspiring in any way either. The new (2010 - 2012) Honda Sabre is on my next test ride list. The Rune is way too big. The Italians, Ducati and Aprilia, know how to inspire, but at high maintenance/repair costs (the opposite of Japanese bikes). I've heard of Ducati's being totalled by just dropping them (may be an exageration -?sp).
I may just put up with a higher entry fee, somewhat higher maintenance costs and worse gas mileage and range, and buy a V-Rod. I keep comparing everything I ride to the V-Rod because it does everything else so well. 10 years ago if you'd ask me if I'd ever buy a Harley the answer would have been different. Throw a little Porsche engineering in the mix and things change :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Back