• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My car is wrecked

We had a damn storm last night, I guess while I was asleep and this is what I awoke to:

bigdent.jpg

There is more damage than just that. The hood is dented, both front quarter panels are wrecked. It looks like the passenger door was hit too.

You can see full pics at:
www.davefogel.com/nsxtree

I feel so upset right now.. it is hard to describe.

I have called my landlord and of course, she is not around. Insurance is also not open today.

I dont know what else to do. I guess they will have to replace all those parts and maybe repaint.

Anyone have any idea?

Life sucks.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 13 July 2002).]

Sorry to see that especially since you just bought the car recently.Dont worry,insurance will cover it.Just make sure you find a good body shop in your area(ie one that works on exotics) as its harder to work on aluminum.The body guys tools have to have NEVER touched steel.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T BBSC Spa Yellow
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa,K/N

Sorry to hear about what happened to your car! MYNSX has parts for sale http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000273.html and then all you have to do is have them painted! I would go this route versus having someone fix the panels, very different than steel. I hope everything works out in the end for you. Hey, you could do a 02 front conversion! Opportunity to do some mods and maybe make changes?
Take care,
John Richards

What hit it? Trees? Stuff getting blown around? Anything and everything?

Sorry to see/hear what happened. I hope everything gets squared away to your satisfaction. Like ANYTIME says, front end conversion!!!!

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
Hey, you could do a 02 front conversion! Opportunity to do some mods and maybe make changes?

I could do that, unfortunatly, I am totally broke. I have been trying to sell my other car because I was not expecting to have 2 car notes for more than a month. Then this happens. I am not sure what I can do.

I would love to have a garage, but not all of us are that lucky.

Tree Branches broke off this huge tree covering the yard. Sure smashed it pretty good. I am guessing it will all have to be replaced. The car was in incredible condition. I will not be satisfied unless it is perfect. I guess they will have to repaint it too.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 13 July 2002).]

Originally posted by NetViper:
I could do that, unfortunetly, I am totally broke. I have been trying to sell my other car because I was not expecting to have 2 car notes for more than a month. Then this happens. I am not sure what I can do.

I would love to have a garage, but not all of us are that lucky.

Sorry to hear about the damage. It hurts me to see an NSX hurt, especially yours since you just bought it. Hope everything turns out OK.

Did the Si get hurt?

[This message has been edited by POWERED by HONDA (edited 13 July 2002).]

Sorry, Dave.

However, it's just a machine, and machines can be fixed. A good body shop will make it look just like it did before. Your comprehensive insurance (which I'm sure you have) will pay for it, except for your deductible.

Find out which body shop will do the best job on it, and let them work it out with the insurance company.

Everyone who has had body work done to his (or her) NSX, and had it wind up just fine, raise your hand.
wavey.gif

Ken, I know it it just a machine, but it meant so much to me. I am very upset.

Should this be covered under my landlords insurance? I mean, it is her tree that killed the car. I had nothing to do with it.

I also have both full insurance and renters insurance, but I dont see why I should have to pay a dime. It is her lack of maintanence that caused this to happen.

PS. no, the Si is fine. (I wish it was the other way around
frown.gif
)

PPS. I think I will move fairly soon -- somewhere with covered parking.

Should this be covered under my landlords insurance? I mean, it is her tree that killed the car. I had nothing to do with it.

I'm not positive, but I think in this case your insurance is considered primary insurance. In other words, you report it to your insurance company, and if they want to try to collect from her liability insurance, they can (but probably won't).

Alternatively, if you didn't report it to your insurance company, you could call her liability insurance company to try to collect, but I bet they tell you that your own insurance comes first.

In any case, discuss it with your insurance company first, and see what they advise.

Also keep in mind that, as a comprehensive claim, it's not going to be considered a "chargeable accident" and won't raise your rates.

Sorry to see that. I am one of the lucky since I have a garage to park mine in. It sits there all week next to my GSR. I only normally drive it on the weekends.
Best of luck finding good body shop to repair it.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Anyone know the cost of a new hood, and both front quarter panels?

I have the hood and both fenders for sale plus the entire rest of MYNSX.The factory will cost you big lute for them if I remember correctlyabout 1500 for the hood and 2300-2400 for both fenders.So probably about 4000.00 for all from Acura.I could be wrong but thats as I remember it.
You can check my post for the prices I have mine listed for under "parts for sale" posted by MYNSX thats me.
MYNSX
Sorry to here about the damage "but" we all know it could always be worse.Still sucks though.My condolances.
MYNSX

Would I be better off taking it to an Acura dealership to fix? Or a local body shop?

Well all of us feel your pain.I bumb out over dings let alone divots.Call around to acura dealers that have seen the most nsx's in your area and see who they recomend.I,ve seen a white coupe go from much worse than yours to near perfect ,but it took that bodyshop ~8mo to complete the job.As soon as you get the ball rolling you'll feel better!

Actually, the prices are much lower than those noted above, even without the significant discounts available. However, that should not be your concern. Make them buy ne factory pieces. No need to get the yellow ones and paint them, then you are worse off than original no matter how perfect they are. (No offense MYNSX. I'm tempted to buy yours myself because I would be paying the tab not the insurance company and I'm not anal about my cars, but the shipping will be so high that it just doesn't make economic sense for me.)

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 13 July 2002).]

Sorry about your damage but as Ken and others have said; don't worry, it can be fixed back to the way it was.

On a side note - in 1991 at age 37 I moved into my first house - why? Because I wanted a garage for my just-purchased NSX!

NetViper, nsxtasy -

In 1986 (I was around 8 years old), my parents sold their house and we lived in an apartment while looking for a new home. There was a big storm that caused a tree to crash down onto the hood of my parents new car. (Sound familiar?) Needless to say, our car insurance paid for everything. The landlord's insurance wouldn't pay because it wasn't their fault. It was "an act of god."

I'd still try the landlord first (try to avoid paying the deductible!). It doesn't hurt to try...

Would I be better off taking it to an Acura dealership to fix? Or a local body shop?

Neither. Find a body shop that has a lot of experience repairing aluminum cars, preferably NSXs.

I'm guessing you would be more likely to find one by taking it to DFW, but perhaps one of the Louisiana members can name a place in state that does a lot of NSX work.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I'm not positive, but I think in this case your insurance is considered primary insurance. In other words, you report it to your insurance company, and if they want to try to collect from her liability insurance, they can (but probably won't).

Alternatively, if you didn't report it to your insurance company, you could call her liability insurance company to try to collect, but I bet they tell you that your own insurance comes first.

In any case, discuss it with your insurance company first, and see what they advise.

Also keep in mind that, as a comprehensive claim, it's not going to be considered a "chargeable accident" and won't raise your rates.

Also if your car insurance and your landlords property insurance is the same company they often waive the deductible

NetViper.. I have been looking for someone to take my factory white hood off my hands so I could buy another hood. Perhaps CF or Dali Racing.. Email me and we'll talk more about this. Mine is 100% perfect and original.

Chances are it won't match precisely, so at a minimum it will probably need repainting. Colors usually vary slightly from one car to another over time. Different cars spend different amounts of time exposed to the elements, etc.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 July 2002).]

is it better to get a factory-finished hood, even if it needs a re-spray, better than starting with a bare hood, and painting-from-scratch ??

Some discussions earlier about the pros/cons of factory vs after-factory paint.

Back