• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My car is wrecked

Hail... we had one two weeks ago here and MANY cars were damaged. I mean MANY. My local insurance agency alone had 6'500 claims... fortunately my NSX sleeps inside. Fortunately my beater does not and I got 1'400$ cash to repair it from the insurance. The beater is a beater and will remain as it is and I bought a used roller for that money)

Sometime hail is not the enemy!
wink.gif
(but I feel the horror some owner had that morning while seeing their cars ruined, the 2002 SL500 AMG of my neighbour suffered a 10'000k $ damage!
mad.gif
)

[This message has been edited by gheba_nsx (edited 15 July 2002).]

Originally posted by gheba_nsx:
Hail... we had one two weeks ago here and MANY cars were damaged. I mean MANY. My local insurance agency alone had 6'500 claims...

I suffered through a very localized hail storm about 8 years ago - almost $15,000 dollars damage to just one car - over $3K on another, etc. The one local dealer affected had several hundred cars damaged. The hail was almost the size of a baseball - punched holes in the back windshield of a Lexus SC400 to the extent that the window fell into the back seat! Hail definitely is public enemy number one!

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Of course it is! As wrote it can only be an advantage in case of a beater where you get the money to fix it and (maybe) you do not really care about fix it. My beater has less value than before but I imagine in the 200-300$ range since it is already beaten up and the hail damage are yes visible, but only from a couple feets of distance. My Renault held up well when compared to the new Mercedes or another MX5 that is parked near mine...

I can't imagine the result on a NSX
mad.gif
!!!

Netviper,

I was shocked when I saw your thread.
I feel for you.

You know, pondering on it, this really confirms my fear of owning an NSX. Yes, it is exhilirating to possess one, but it also proves to be just as equally devastating if something wrong happens to it. Even the smallest dents can prove to be extremely costly.

Maybe I should think twice about purchasing one and end my search now. Maybe an S2000 isn't just "second best" anymore. I don't know. I just hate to be in the same situation as NetViper is in right now.

Question: If hail rains down on your NSX and does considerable damage (maybe a few thousand $$), will it have a "salvage" title on it from then on?

I beleive a salvage title is only given when the insurance company deems the damage to be higher than the actual value of the car itself.

Dave,

If are considering any Acura stores in DFW, I'd recommend Goodson in Irving. Call and ask for Susan Tableman and let her know Adam told you to call her and your nsx got damaged. She is very good with nsx owners, very dedicated to making everyone very happy. She is a service writer but can have a very fair estimate made for you from someone in the body shop. Good Luck.

Originally posted by bayareansx1999:
have you guys ever thought about purchasing one of those portable garages? or maybe buy 3 car covers and put it on =-). that might protect the car a little bit.

A single car cover in one of those thick layered fabrics (e.g. Evolution 4) might indeed provide some protection against small hail that would otherwise harm the finish. But baseball sized hail sounds frightening and I doubt that there's much you can do.

Also keep in mind that you rarely have any warning about hail beforehand.

Dave, sorry about your car, at least you wern't hurt. Call me an eternal optimist but I think your car is gonna get fixed just fine as upsetting as this is. I also hope that by chance your gonna have some funds available after its repair from body parts savings found on this forum to build yourself carport. (4) 6"x6" CCA beams 12' long with (4)2x10s 16' long w/corrigated metal over 2x4@24" off center will give your a carport 16' x 8' of 8' in height and protection from another storm.

Originally posted by lemansnsx:
...Hail definitely is public enemy number one!

I have to respectfully disagree. I think, as far as cars and weather go, a tornado is public enemy #1.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 15 July 2002).]

While the effects of a tornado can indeed be devastating, the chances of a tornado are less likely than the chances of hail, and when hail occurs, it typically affects a wider area, with more people and more cars, than a tornado.

A hurricane, OTOH, may be a different story entirely.

Maybe we should just all agree that WEATHER is public enemy number one!

My landlord talking to her insurance company and they are sending someone out to take a look. I will keep you all updated on what is going on.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
..Maybe we should just all agree that WEATHER is public enemy number one!

...and all of those other cars on MY ROADS!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 15 July 2002).]

I know the feeling. I discovered my white NSX had two panels painted by the original owner. I am the third owner...the second owner did not know about it.

The good news is that the repair is virtually undetectable. I only noticed it initially by the subtle paint differences on the bolts securing the front fender (I was waxing under the bonnet) and started asking questions. Yes, white is hard to match but it can be done...and to your satisfaction. I would not settle for a complete repaint given my experience and the apparent extent of your damage.

Time and an excellent repair will reduce the agony you are suffering to a non-issue.

My very best,

Michael
'97 Gran Prix/blk

I just saw my insurance rep and they are going to replace both fenders and the hood. Then repaint it up to the doors and blend it. It should look really great. I haven't got the estimate yet, and I am still waiting to hear from my landlord. Anyway, that is where I am today.

------------------
1993 White NSX, 70K miles and running STRONG!

Originally posted by comptechnsx:
If are considering any Acura stores in DFW, I'd recommend Goodson in Irving. Call and ask for Susan Tableman and let her know Adam told you to call her and your nsx got damaged.

Do we know each other? Has Susan put you in touch with the "DallasNSX" guys? We usually meet on the first Thursday of each month at Starbucks at 114 and MacArthur around 7:30-8:00pm. You should come out and get to know the local owners.

Better yet - come meet a couple of us who will be instructing at a BMW event at Motorsport Ranch this weekend... I'll be in my white 996, but will be parked in the paddock with Moazzam Ahmed (administers the NSX-Friends email list) - he has a yellow coupe... sort of hard to miss. Look for the black EZ-Up in the skidpad past the covered grid (turn RIGHT as you enter the track, even though it says go left).

MSR is located on Highway 377 in Cresson... once you get past the train tracks / TX-171 and the three gas stations that constitute Cresson, the track is on your left (the northbound side of 377) when the road starts to have a grass median again. Kinda easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

EDR

Originally posted by NetViper:
I just saw my insurance rep and they are going to replace both fenders and the hood. Then repaint it up to the doors and blend it...

I am a little uneasy with "blending" the paint. I would press the insurance company for a complete repaint. This is an exotic car. Just my $0.02

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
I am a little uneasy with "blending" the paint. I would press the insurance company for a complete repaint.

A top-notch body shop should be able to blend the paint without problem. This will leave the original finish on the rest of the car - a significant benefit.

I pushed for the full car paint, but they really just need the front. I am sure it will look really great. Infact, probably better than ever!

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 18 July 2002).]

Update: 7/18

My landlords insurance company has sided with me on the matter of the tree. The branches are obviously dead. They have agreed to pay for all of it.

Go me!

Thanks to everyone for your help and concerns. I will be looking at getting some sort of covered parking in the VERY near future. That is, unless my landlord tries to evict me. She will not be happy about this.

------------------
1993 White NSX, 70K miles and running STRONG!

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
...This will leave the original finish on the rest of the car - a significant benefit.

Please elaborate (I can't see how having the original finish on half of your car would be a benefit at all - let alone "significant". To me that would be like re-upholstering one of the seats and saying that was a benefit over doing both seats to match (other than the cost involved)). I would think a uniform finish is more desirable than a half/half job.

BTW, I am not arguing here. I genuinely wan't to know what the benefit would be.
smile.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back