• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My track experience at nsxpo 2010 las vegas

When I decided to go NSXPO in Las Vegas I figured that the HPDE would be great opportunity for me to drive my car on a track for the first time. However, since I was newbie, I wanted to be as prepared as possible. At first I thought I needed help not only because I was a newbie, but also because I felt that I would be at a disadvantage in that my car is automatic (you know, heavy, tall gears and less HP). So, I original posted a thread titled “Seeking advice on best bang for the buck suspension mods”. I was thinking at the time about sway bars. The consensus by the responders (with only a couple of dissenters) was loud and clear, as newbie; leave the car as is, but ensure that I have fresh breaks pads and fluid, suitable thread on my tires and that the car as a whole is mechanically sound. The next area advice was for “me” to prepare for the HPDE by reading articles and watching instructional videos on high performance driving, including videos of the Spring Mountain Motor ranch (SMMR) track itself to help me learn the course ahead of time. I took these recommendations and did the following:

CAR PREPARATION
1. I had my car inspected by my local Acura mechanic and by Niguel Motors (Ramon) my NSX mechanic.
2. It was determined that my cooling system hoses needed to be replaced (they were questionable for hard use).
3. In subsequent responses to my original thread it was suggested that I upgrade my brake fluid. Prospeed RS683 and Motul RBF 600 were recommended by Ken Sax. I choose Motul in that it was easier to find. I also had street-track pads installed, specifically Hawk HP+ (Hawk HP Plus), again as recommended by Ken Sax from his experience. Ramon also turned my front rotors.
4. My front tires were over 4 years old. Although they were still OK for street use, I had new front tires installed to be on the safe side. My rear tires are newer and in good condition. I use Dunlop Direzza DZ101 on my car. They are not a real sticky tire, but they are adequate for me and provide good tire wear. At the track, I was happy with their performance.

DRIVER PREPARATION
1. I viewed several times in-car videos of runs of the SMMR 3.1 mile track configuration. However, upon arriving at the track, a new chicane (bus stop) section was added to the end of the rear strait since the video was made. This did not pose a problem and was actually one of the more fun sections to drive.
2. I also Goggled race instructional videos and watched several of them, some of which I posted links in my original thread. What became clear from the videos is smoothness, i.e., keeping the car in balance when accelerating, turning and braking. I also learned the basics of performance/race driving, i.e., turn-in, apex and track-out points, the friction circle, signal flags and track terminology.
3. I was originally going to use an NSXCA provided helmet, but decided to buy one to ensure that it would fit (I have a small head). I also decided to buy a helmet in the event that I enjoyed running on the track enough that I would end up tracking again in the future. In my helmet research, I did learn about the various government ratings and how to be fitted for a helmet. I ended up getting a full face helmet in that I was advised that open face helmets are not permitted at some tack events. In addition, full face helmets provide better protection, and since I’m a husband, dad, and grandfather, I felt obligated to get the better protection. I bought a Bell SR2 with a SA 2005 rating.
4. On Friday night I attended the Chalk Talk, which was optional but recommended for newbie’s. Various information and tips were provided. The featured speaker was Billy Johnson. Billy broke down each of the turns of the SMMR track and how he takes them. At the request of one of the members, he also indicated the gears that would be used on each turn. Since my car is an automatic, I was not sure if the gear selection would apply to me. Billy also explained the “diamond” (two apex) approach to the long sweeping turns 1 and 2.

HPDE DAY 1
After receiving introduction and basic track driving tips, including safety measures, I was met by my instructor Tom Grossmann. Tom is a local instructor and drove the red Datsun 1200 that was on track with the intermediate group. I had Tom drive my car first, as suggested in my readings, so that I could learn the track and the lines through its turns. Tom’s emphasis was smoothness and for me to keep my head up, i.e., keep looking ahead for the turn-in point, apex cone and track out point. Looking ahead was necessary in hitting these points and also to help reduce the sense of speed. However, Tom also taught me to use my peripheral vision to track these points as I pass them, to view the track edge and other activities, i.e., other cars. He also suggested that I start slow and then increase my speed as the sessions and day progressed.

When I took the wheel for the first time, almost everything that I had learned was temporarily lost because I was inundated with all that I needed to do. The light rain and wet rack did not help. For the first few runs, I was lost on the track. Although I had watched the SMMR track video many times, I was confused as to which turn I was approaching and what track configuration (strait or turn) was beyond. This made it difficult for me to make a smooth transition through the turn at hand and set up for the next segment of the track. Being unsure of what was ahead impeded my ability to go faster. So, for the first two sessions, I was getting passed frequently, and I passed no one.

After learning the track, I was able to concentrate on breaking entering into a turn and the best line through each turn. Tom also showed me how to rotate the car with throttle and braking adjustments, a concept that had never occurred to me before. Mechanically, I learned that my basically stock car handled just fine, and my brake upgrades worked well with no evidence of fading. However, my brakes were a little “stinky” as Tom put it after the first runs, so I’m glad I had the upgrades done. Tom suggested that I leave my transmission in automatic mode (not sport-shift mode) so that I can concentrate on driving.

After lunch I was I was improving and at the end of the 3rd session, I finally passed one car. During the 4th sessions I passed more cars. However, after making the passes, I became what Tom called “getting greedy” in that I started to push too hard to catch up to and pass the next car. I became sloppy and missed my apexes and took the wrong lines, resulting in me loosing speed. When I messed up one turn, I also messed up the next one. After settling down, my speed increased again.

I also discovered that I had trouble in traffic. I was worrying too much about the other cars and not about what I was doing. This was interesting, because I get the same way when I’m golfing and being hounded by the group behind me. So when in traffic, I missed lines and apexes. I also found myself taking the line of the car ahead of me instead of my line, and I did not look ahead of the car in front of me to see what was coming up.
The last thing that I learned was that I had a tendency to go into tight corners too fast, resulting in missing the apex.

HPDE DAY 2
For the first two sessions I received a new instructor, Billy Johnson. Like on Day 1, I asked Billy to drive my car so that I could observe. In addition to some of the basic do’s and don’ts, what I learned from Billy was how much faster he was able to drive than me, all while providing instructions, pointing out apexes with one hand and driving with the other (see pic below). There were several turns where I could not believe how fast he was able to take them. So, when we switched places, I became more confident in my car’s ability and I began to push it more to the limit. In addition to keeping the right line, I increased my speed. However, Billy noted that I needed to push the car consistently along the entire corner, i.e., get squeal from the tires for the entire length of the turn. Soon, I found myself passing more and more cars, and no one passed me. Billy was impressed that this was only my second day on the track. So, it appears that my pre HPDE preparations, and learning from Tom and Billy paid off! However, now that I had tasted blood, I slipped back into being “greedy” which resulted in a couple of spins at the hairpin turns. The spins were the result of power over-steer. My brain seemed to sense the spin coming, but I could not react fast enough to prevent it. In a subsequent e-mail communication with my first instructor ‘Tom”, he stated that the first indication before a spin is was a light steering wheel (that's the slide building up) and 75 ft later when the back starts to go, it's already too late”.

picture.php

For the 3rd session of Day 2, I received another instructor, Mike Tsay. This time I drove the car first. In addition, Mike stated that for the first lap or two, he was just going to sit and observe my driving. I did well, drove aggressive and again did my fair share of passing. He too was impressed with my driving. Unfortunately, after a few laps I lost third gear, so we decided to leave the track. After letting the car cool down, the blinking “D” trouble indicator light went away. We went out on the tack again, but the problem returned, and I was done for the day. I eventually lost 1st and 4th gear too. Fortunately, Cody of LoveFab gave me and my car a ride back to the hotel –thanks Cody!

CONCLUSION

First, in spite of my mechanical problems, my basically stock automatic did just fine on the track. I was in the novice group and after a few sessions and after learning the track and lines, my car did its fare share of passing of NA1’s and some NA2’s. In fact, by the second day, nobody passed me. I have to say that I was surprised at how well my car performed even in fully automatic mode. I did not need to shift into sports mode to be successful on the track.

Second, I discovered that learning to drive on a track is not easy. Due to my confusion, and all that that was happing, the first session was not fun and I had wondered what I had gotten into. However, very good instruction was instrumental in allowing me to improve, and consequently so did my enjoyment - I ended up really having a blast! As a result, I want to thank all of my instructors for their help and patience. I particularly appreciated Tom Grossman’s style of instruction, i.e., keeping comments precise and to a minimum so as not to be a distraction. I was also impressed with all of my instructors in their ability to clearly dissect and impart what I was doing wrong as well as what I was doing right.

Lastly, for all those owners who were leery of participating in the HPDE, I hope my experience provides an incentive to give it a try. Believe me, you won’t regret it!

Thanks,
Mario

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

PS: My car is currently at Finlay Acura in Las Vegas. Their initial diagnosis of my trans was an electrical defect. However their first repair effort (solenoid replacement) did not correct the problem. The trans works well at first, but when the trans gets up to running temperatures, it down shifts from 4th to 3rd to 2nd etc. Finlay is researching this problem, but they indicated that I may need a new trans, and they are trying to locate one for me at a good price. I’m appreciative of Finlay’s efforts. I also want to thank Alex for giving me a ride back to LA.

great writeup especialy the comments about being lost on track the first time out...no matter how much video you watch the full sensory overload wipes it all away.

Nicely done, Mario. Congratulations! In addition to your first HPDE experience, you can add writing about it, too. You were wise to get as much information from the comfort of your computer before grabbing the steering wheel once on the track. I, too, viewed as many instructional videos and car preparation articles before I took my NSX to Willow Springs Raceway for the first time. While I didn't experience any spinouts, my speed gradually increased as I became comfortable taking turns at speed without fear of going off the track.

Spring Mountain makes the third track I have driven my NSX on. Being in Orange County, CA, the other is the Autoclub Raceway in Fontana where I drove the famous "roval" set-up. Between these three tracks, Spring Mountain was definitely the most fun. Seeing the track is tricky at a few places, especially after the straightway following turn #2 and when exiting the combo turns following turn #8. Once you know it, you can put the pedal-to-the-metal and trust that the track will be there (blind sections) once you enter and begin to exit the blind spot.

Whatever wear-and-tear our beloved NSXs experience on the track is more than made up for in the pure joy of driving these amazing cars at speed. Keep your helmet handy! :wink:

Steve

Thanks DocJon and Steve, I enjoyed writing about my experience. I would have like to have written more, but it was getting really late and I did not want to start rambling.

Joove, go ahead and give it a try. I was fortunate that my first track experience was the HPDE at NSXPO. For the beginners group there were mostly NSX's, and there were many of us that were new. In another thread RSO 34 stated "There are 8 drivers who will be on the track for the very first time. There are another 9 who have 3 or less track days so a total of 17 out of the 37 registrants are newbies". So I felt comfortable that I was not alone.

I’ve participated in local NSX runs, but going fast on country roads not knowing what was around the corner made me nervous. As one gets older (I’m 59) one wants to get to the finish line, so on these runs I was afraid to go too fast for fear of hitting a bicyclist, jogger or stray cow. When I was younger, these thoughts never entered my mind. However, on a track, I had no such fear. I didn’t even mind the spinouts (since they were on the low speed corner, fortunately) except for the one that I saved, but was a sitting duck until I started moving again. Fortunately no one was behind me.

If you get instruction, let your instructor to drive your car, and you will see how well she performs in the hands of an experience driver (no offense if you’re experience driver too). That gave me the confidence to push the car harder. However, push under control or you may spin out like I did.

The only concern that I have is whether or not tracking my automatic and the spin-outs directly contributed to my transmission failure. I hope not, because I really want to do this again.

Anyway, give it a try.

Best,

Mario

Great writeup Mario! Glad you enjoyed yourself and learned so much. Maybe we can use this to promote next year's event and get more of our members out on the race track which is where these cars naturally want to be!!!

Bruce

Great writeup Mario! Glad you enjoyed yourself and learned so much. Maybe we can use this to promote next year's event and get more of our members out on the race track which is where these cars naturally want to be!!!

Bruce

Hello Bruce,

While at the track and back at the hotel several of the owners that I was hanging out with regretted not participation in the HPDE after I told them how much fun it was. Those that came to the track for lunch, after one of the runs for non HPDE owners, really wished they had pulled the trigger. The main reasons that I was told for not participating were “cost” and “fear of running on a race track” specifically, sustaining damage to their car. I do not recall anyone fearing for their safety, but I’m sure that may have influenced some owners. All of these reasons are legitimate, and I had the same concerns, particularly the cost since I’m currently unemployed. However, I decided that this was a chance in a lifetime with the NSXPO being so close, so I went for it.

Sure, go ahead and quote my thread if you think it well get more owners out. I’m sure others that participated will be happy to share their experience too, for the paddock was full of excited and happy NSX owners after each run.

Best,

Mario

You should include this and a little more for an nsxdriver article,pm Larry Bastanza about submitting your article.There are many nsxca members who do not frequent prime.

Hello docjohn,

Sure, however, what did you mean by a litle more?

Best,

Mario

Lol, they may ask for more(or less) content depending on the format for that issue.

Wow, that was as perceptive and comprehensive account of driving on a track for the first time that I could imagine anyone having the wherewithal to remember, record and convey.

From your write up, you obviously had great instructors. Tom describing where to look was key. When I instruct one of the first things I instill (after which way the track goes and where the corner stations are) is eye discipline. It is SO helpful.

You described the initial sensory overload very well. Also, it is neat that your instructor got into weight transfer and how you were pushing hard enough to control rotating the car with throttle and brake inputs. Kewl.

And when you reached one of the many plateaus of performance driving, you started to get aggressive and starting missing apexes. And that got you out of what is known as "rhythm", taking some time to find your concentration again.

Traffic also was encountered, and you described exactly what happens and how it is easy to get distracted from your task at hand, and how very easy it is to start "driving the car in front of you", losing that eye discipline. And driving too fast in the tight corners is also a common item needing improvement by a newbie.

Power oversteer? Assuming the tranny wasn't downshifting at inopportune times, I'll bet being too hard on the loud pedal was accompanied by not unwinding the steering wheel as you started to accelerate.

Like I say, Mario, wow, you captured so many of the experiences of new track driving, it's uncanny how you nailed their descriptions. Very nice job.

Good luck on the tranny and hope that doesn't discourage you from participating again!

Last edited:
Wow, that was as perceptive and comprehensive account of driving on a track for the first time that I could imagine anyone having the wherewithal to remember, record and convey.

From your write up, you obviously had great instructors. Tom describing where to look was key. When I instruct one of the first things I instill (after which way the track goes and where the corner stations are) is eye discipline. It is SO helpful.

You described the initial sensory overload very well. Also, it is neat that your instructor got into weight transfer and how you were pushing hard enough to control rotating the car with throttle and brake inputs. Kewl.

And when you reached one of the many plateaus of performance driving, you started to get aggressive and starting missing apexes. And that got you out of what is known as "rhythm", taking some time to find your concentration again.

Traffic also was encountered, and you described exactly what happens and how it is easy to get distracted from your task at hand, and how very easy it is to start "driving the car in front of you", losing that eye discipline. And driving too fast in the tight corners is also a common item needing improvement by a newbie.

Power oversteer? Assuming the tranny wasn't downshifting at inopportune times, I'll bet being too hard on the loud pedal was accompanied by not unwinding the steering wheel as you started to accelerate.

Like I say, Mario, wow, you captured so many of the experiences of new track driving, it's uncanny how you nailed their descriptions. Very nice job.

Good luck on the tranny and hope that doesn't discourage you from participating again!

Thank you dquarasr2! I really enjoyed the HPDE and also writing about it.

I have always loved sports cars and watching auto racing since I was a kid, particularly road circuits. I have also offen wondered what it would be like to drive on a race track and how I would fare (my wife thinks I'm a wooss at driving my NSX). I frequented races at Laguna Seca in recent years and once looked into the Skip Barber school there, but it was too expensive . When I bought my NSX 4 years ago my interest in learning high performance driving skills was rekindled, particularly after I experienced snap over steer for the first time.

As for my trans, I have several options to go with in getting it repaired, with costs ranging from 2.2k (a used trans) to 6.2k (upgraded trans from Level 10). Decisions decisions! I've started another thread on the merits of tracking a NSX with auto trans, looking for advice.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142735

Thanks again for your comments on my write-up!

Mario

Great writeup, Mario. After riding with you, your confidence and smoothness after only two days was impressive.:biggrin:
Glad you made it back to LA ok...maybe we'll see you out at the local tracks.

Mike

Great writeup, Mario. After riding with you, your confidence and smoothness after only two days was impressive.:biggrin:
Glad you made it back to LA ok...maybe we'll see you out at the local tracks.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I had great instruction from Tom Grossmann on Sat and Billy Johnson on Sun. AM. When you got me as a student Sun PM, I was really getting into it when the trans developed problems. It was disappointing not to be able to continue, but as I have stated, I HAD A BLAST.

Yes, what are the track events that you speak of?

MCANO,

Great write up and glad to see you enjoyed your HPDE experience. I track my Porsche 996tt with an auto as well. The car developed a problem after tracking that was related to the control module. I know they are diferent but it never hurts to try to think out of the box. My transmission has a learning capacity and after having been driven gently foro its entire time and then very enthusiastically at the track it developed a problem of wanting to shift between gears at low RPMs. Porsche identified the problem a 2 years after producing the car and sent out a technical buletin, not a recall. Since it would never manifest itself if you drove in a normal manner it didn't consider it an issue. The control module needed to be replaced and updated programming performed, there really was nothing wrong with the tranny.

I thought I would share this with you just in case there was something similar potentially in the NSX tranny. I don't know. But then most Porsche mechanics and dealers didn't know about the Technical buleting either and I had to find out about it through the WEB. I was originally told by AWD was broken, tranny mount was broken, Tranny broken, etc. until I found the real reason and had the module replaced.

Just a thought,

Tytus

MCANO,

Great write up and glad to see you enjoyed your HPDE experience. I track my Porsche 996tt with an auto as well. The car developed a problem after tracking that was related to the control module. I know they are diferent but it never hurts to try to think out of the box. My transmission has a learning capacity and after having been driven gently foro its entire time and then very enthusiastically at the track it developed a problem of wanting to shift between gears at low RPMs. Porsche identified the problem a 2 years after producing the car and sent out a technical buletin, not a recall. Since it would never manifest itself if you drove in a normal manner it didn't consider it an issue. The control module needed to be replaced and updated programming performed, there really was nothing wrong with the tranny.

I thought I would share this with you just in case there was something similar potentially in the NSX tranny. I don't know. But then most Porsche mechanics and dealers didn't know about the Technical buleting either and I had to find out about it through the WEB. I was originally told by AWD was broken, tranny mount was broken, Tranny broken, etc. until I found the real reason and had the module replaced.

Just a thought,

Tytus

Thnaks Tytus,

I'll mention your experience to Findlay and see what they have to say. I probably should contact Acura/Honda to.

Best,

Mario

Mario - it's nice to see someone brand new give such a through feedback. As for the tranny I'd be doing just as you did and getting lots of info. I find it difficult to believe Honda would put something fragile in the car. Hopefully it was just a fluke particular to that tranny. Finally can't thank you enough for the kind words.

Tom

Yes, what are the track events that you speak of?

Ahem, ok this is a slippery slope.
They don't call it the track crackpipe for nothing...:biggrin:

There are lots of tracks and run groups that go out almost every weekend...
lots of track junkies hang out here :

http://www.trackhq.com/

Just for starters :

Socal Tracks :

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/trackinformation/maps.asp

Horsethief Mile (aka HTM @ Willowsprings) - tight hillside course, not much run off, frequented by drifters

Streets of Willowsprings (aka SOWS @ Willowsprings) - hillside course, technical track, good runoff and skidpad, good place to try things since speeds are low to medium...

Willowsprings Int'l Raceway (aka WSIR or Big Willow...also @ Willowsprings) -high speed track, very fast, HP track (if you have Horsepower)..."balls" track (if you have no HP)

Buttonwillow (aka BW 13CW @ Rosamond) - mix of technical and highspeed, a farther drive than Willowsprings tho...
http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/

Auto Club Speedway ROVAL (aka ACS@ Fontana) - high speed, mix of the INFIELD ("runways") and the OVAL (T2, banked concrete walls - 140mph, aero recommended), very convenient/close to LA
http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/Track-Info/Track-Maps.aspx

Socal Run Groups :

Speedventures.com - Good group, lots of regulars, instructors available...usually run Willowsprings tracks, ROVAL, BW, occassionally run Laguna or SMMR.

https://www.speedventures.com/events/Default.aspx
(I'll be @ Streets of Willow CW with my S2000 on 12/4)

Extremespeed - This is a new run org, should have more events next year.
http://www.extremespeedtrackevents.com/

Norcal Tracks
Laguna Seca - fantastic elevation changes, hard on brakes...near Monterey
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/Track_Map
Infineon - epic sweeping turns and elevation, a few walls, "real" big time race facility...just north of SF
http://www.infineonraceway.com/fanguide/maps/facility/
Thunderhill - SCCA track, out in the boonies 2.5hr north of SF...only make it there once every few years but very fun...
http://thunderhill.com/staticpages/index.php?page=TrackMap

Run groups :

http://www.ncracing.org/

http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/

PM me if you need more specific info!

Mike

Last edited:
Back