• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Windshield Has Pizza Face

Granted it's over 20 years old but the windshield is showing it's age. There aren't any cracks or major chips, just a bunch of small spots that makes it looks like I drove behind a sand truck in a wind tunnel. I decided that it was finally time to tackle getting this fixed.

What are you guys using (products and techniques) for polishing these little blemishes out of the windshield? I saw griots garage carries a glass polish and a fine glass polish but, surely, there are more alternatives out there.

My thanks in advance.

This is an interesting post for when I bought my NSX a few years ago, I noticed that the windshield looked nearly pristine for a '91 that had 90K miles. I asked the prior owner if he had replaced the windshield for I could only find a few subtle blemishes. He grinned and said, "No. It is the original windshield". My initial thought was that the glass was super tough and resistant to miniscule rock chips and debris. He told me that he actually polished the glass to take out the annoying blemishes and irregularities that obscure your view. He gave me a box of 0000 steel wool (I think that is the correct nomenclature but will have to check). His method involved spraying a lubricant on the glass and polishing with the steel wool. I must say that I was super shocked by his answer for it sounds really scarry, but I certainly cannot argue with his results for it is truly amazing.

Hmmm...interesting. Haven't heard of this technique yet. Can you provide some pics?

I worked at a high end body shop for nearly 10 years and we used 0000 steel wool on nearly ALL customer cars. I've used this method for the last 15 years.... It is by far the best way to clean glass including overspray, dirt, road grime, etc etc. The KEY factor is 0000 steel wool. Anything else, and you will scratch the hell out of your glass.

This is an interesting post for when I bought my NSX a few years ago, I noticed that the windshield looked nearly pristine for a '91 that had 90K miles. I asked the prior owner if he had replaced the windshield for I could only find a few subtle blemishes. He grinned and said, "No. It is the original windshield". My initial thought was that the glass was super tough and resistant to miniscule rock chips and debris. He told me that he actually polished the glass to take out the annoying blemishes and irregularities that obscure your view. He gave me a box of 0000 steel wool (I think that is the correct nomenclature but will have to check). His method involved spraying a lubricant on the glass and polishing with the steel wool. I must say that I was super shocked by his answer for it sounds really scarry, but I certainly cannot argue with his results for it is truly amazing.

Did you use a specific lubricant? Or is something like a detail spray adequate?

Did you use a specific lubricant? Or is something like a detail spray adequate?

We have always used Spray Away glass cleaner. Although I'm sure there are some lubricants out there that work well... as well. Just be careful that they are paint safe if they come in contact.

wow nice guys I learn everyday.

Im gonna go get some for future issues .

4 0000 wool got it.

I got some at Lowes tonight. I'll try it on the Subaru first. I bet spray detailer would work as a lube.

I was in the auto glass business for over 30 yrs. If your windshield has been "sandblasted" , there is not much to do except replace it. Mine is the same way. We used to have a special pad to use with jewelers rouge , but it was only capable of removing very fine scratches.

you should be more considerate of your windshields feelings.....pizza face is very hurtful....blemishes are tough enough to deal with..then you have to rub it in by calling it names.....

you should be more considerate of your windshields feelings.....pizza face is very hurtful....blemishes are tough enough to deal with..then you have to rub it in by calling it names.....

Yeah, windscreens are very transparent . . . with their emotions, you can see right through them even though they are trying to put on a good face.

Hopefully 0000 steel wool doesn't rub them the wrong way.

(Sorry, really sorry, it's a slow work day, taking 5 to peruse Prime.)

Okay, so I bought a package of 0000 Steel Wool and performed a good cleaning on my NSX's windshield and have some conclusions:

* steel wool works incredibly well. From taking out very minor surface scratches to hard water spots, steel wool is the best tool that I've used by far. It's akin to using a clay bar on paint vs. not.
* however well it works, it did not take out the surface scratches from "sand blasting wind tunnel" or alleviate my windshield's pizza face.

I'm going to try the Griot's Garage 2 stage polish system and, if that doesn't work, may just spring for a new windshield.

I do not think it wise to use steel wool on your windshield or anywhere else on your car.
As it is used, wet or dry, it will break down leaving a fine powder or tiny specs of iron that in the presence of moisture will eventually rust.
You don't want that around as it will leave little rust specs wherever it sits. It can even burrow into the paint creating little orange specs that settle and dig right into the finish.
It is especially not something you would want to use on aluminum.

The only way I know to solve the thousand tiny chips that show at twilight driving into the sun is a glass replacement.

Last edited:
Joe, that's a very good point. However, having already tried the steel wool method, I'll be sure to update the thread if there are any negative after-effects.

Joe, that's a very good point. However, having already tried the steel wool method, I'll be sure to update the thread if there are any negative after-effects.

In time you may see where it has landed on other cars or objects in the area as well, as it is easily made airborne.

You would see little orange specs, about the size of fly poop. It might be hard to spot on some colors but obviously much easier on white. Drain and gutter areas, on the hood, trunk and rockers will be where it could congregate and be overlooked if you are successful in keeping it from settling on the outer panels.

Can you share some of the images and video if you have any so that we could understand this technique more properly,Because this would definitely be in our heads as we apply it somewhere so images and video would play a major role in development of this technique in ourselves.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I didn't know there was anything you could do about it.
In to see more results.

Back