• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MYNSX IN JAIL FOR 6 MONTHS!! Criminal Speeding

The thing that really frosts my butt is when I get pulled over by a cop who starts yelling at me for speeding when he had to drive FASTER than I did to catch me, and when I see those fools SPEEDING when they are OFF duty. What? They are not dangerous when THEY speed?? ARGH!! Makes me mad! Especially when I hear cops say they NEVER give tickets to ANY other law enforcement personnel NO MATTER WHAT!

------------------
Mitch

2002 Honda S2000 white/red (6-speed)
1996 Acura Integra GSR black/black (5-speed)
1991 Acura NSX black/ivory (auto)
1990 Honda Accord EX black/tan (5-speed)

Originally posted by Meeyatch1:
Especially when I hear cops say they NEVER give tickets to ANY other law enforcement personnel NO MATTER WHAT!

The ones I've talked to have told me that they would give a pass (professional courtesy) to a fellow officer for speeding, but not for DUI. I don't know whether that's true, but these guys see enough of the aftermath of DUI that they probably are much less likely to do so themselves, which makes the point moot.

Originally posted by Meeyatch1:
The thing that really frosts my butt is when I get pulled over by a cop who starts yelling at me for speeding when he had to drive FASTER than I did to catch me....

????

I empathize with you on the yelling part but I don't understand this argument.
Of course he's going to have to speed up in order to catch up to you. How else is he going to pull you over?

Originally posted by grippgoat:
>>The thing I absolutely despise the most about traffic enforcement is that even if you are completely innocent and have ample proof to show it once the ticket it written your time is wasted.

This is not true. You can fight any ticket and sometimes win. A win means the penalty might be reduced or the ticket eliminated completely. Reducing or eliminating a ticket and saving hundreds of dollars or jail time is a very good use of most people's time. This was my experience with a recent, serious traffic citation.

Good point, Soichiro.

In addition to the chance to reduce your own penalty or have the case thrown out, enough people fighting tickets in court also leads to the implementation of ways to mitigate the effect of those tickets. For example, in rural jurisdictions, where there are relatively few tickets and the judges have plenty of time to hear every case, you may very well have no viable alternatives other than pleading guilty, because your likelihood of the same or worse penalty is high. However, in urban jurisdictions, where a lot of people get tickets and fight them, the courts are overcrowded, and they try to keep the cases out of the courts by offering alternatives such as traffic school. Such alternatives satisfy the courts because they still collect fees without the burden to hear the cases, and satisfy the violators by offering a way (often called "probation" or "supervision") for the ticket to stay off your driving record so your insurance company won't know about it. Several years ago, the courts here in Cook County offered the ability to get supervision by mail, without hearing the case in court, but with a required traffic safety school. Last year the started offering the traffic safety school via the internet, so you never even have to leave home, either for court or for traffic school.

So whenever you get a ticket, if they're not offering you a way out of it, fight it!

Note - supervision by mail is available only for certain specific offenses (e.g. speeding less than 30 mph over the limit) and is not available for serious offenses (DUI) or to multiple repeat offenders.

Originally posted by Soichiro:
This is not true. You can fight any ticket and sometimes win. A win means the penalty might be reduced or the ticket eliminated completely. Reducing or eliminating a ticket and saving hundreds of dollars or jail time is a very good use of most people's time. This was my experience with a recent, serious traffic citation.

But if you should not have even gotten the ticket in the first place, any time spent dealing with it in any manner is a complete waste.

It's like if someone runs a red light and t-bones you. That should never have happened, and now you're losing time and money dealing with it.

I'm not even remotely trying to say that all tickets are wrongful either. But if in fact MYNSX and the people he was crusing with were all doing things 100% legally, his time and money is being completely wasted having to deal with it. And when it's all done, dismissed or not, I'm sure his legal fees will be in the thousands of dollars.

The same is true for people who get pulled over in their civic and get a ticket for exhaust noise, even though their car is perfectly legal. Sure, it's a small ticket that's easily enough dismissed by showing the appropriate paperwork for the parts on the car, but the point is that the ticket should never have been written in the first place.

-Mike

Originally posted by grippgoat:
if in fact MYNSX and the people he was crusing with were all doing things 100% legally, his time and money is being completely wasted having to deal with it.

That's a big "if".

I can maybe see cops pulling over one driver and charging him with breaking the law when he wasn't, and it's his word against theirs. But a big group of people traveling together, all of whom could presumably testify on behalf of each other? With a major charge, not a simple traffic violation? Again, this just doesn't sound credible to me. I don't think we're hearing the whole story here.

Okay, that is overkill for few speeding cars. Why didn't they use SWAT teams while they were at it? I hope everything works out, good luck to you.

Last year a number of MI NSXers and a few Zo6's A supra, a few Viper GTS's, and a Ferrari 308 GTS had a get-together at some place, then drove on the highway all in single file. Must have been about 20 cars or so. And during the drive to the karting track we were going to, we must have passed about 3 cops. They all stared, but we were all driving the speed limit. In fact some of the normal cars were overtaking us!

THis incident kinda makes me want to find out the full speeding law story within MI. Im not sure if cops would react like this, since we are in the Motor City...

Anyways, sorry to hear about your incident. Hope that you get out of it, and very soon

[This message has been edited by Redeye (edited 10 January 2003).]

Hey guy's hanev't said much in a while. I am Aaron I was the one in the lead. I tell you this - tralk about some bullshit huh? Have you guys heard from Bill in a while? I have been tring to get a hold of them becssue I might be able to submit my self for a appeal. All I know is that the AZ cops are out for blood on this one. The one thing that still baffels me is that I never got charged. They took me out of my car, took pictures of my car asked to show my tatoos for pictures and then let me go. I still don't think that it's legal to do that but all I know is that Bil is in a pickle, and know I am worried about being set up worse then them. Now can anyone tell me why cops are confused why people have a vendeta against them.

This whole thing sounds worthy of a movie. Did any local press cover the incident? If so, perhaps we could learn more about what happened without any parties involved having to reveal unecessary details.

GDFELLA: Don't worry, MYNSX is not incarcerated yet. Heard he is out of town for the weekend (not jumping bail either!).

Sig: I don't recall any media coverage about the incident, in fact I didn't know anything about this till MYNSX mentioned it to me. Then again, car chases usually don't make the local news unless someone gets killed (or it's an extremely slow news day).

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
car chases usually don't make the local news

But high-profile speeding stops sometimes do. This story also made the TV news in Denver:

fd048744.jpg

Originally posted by MYNSX:

I won't get mad .I'LL GET EVEN....

Unfortunately you will never be even when it comes to these situations. You may not have to go to jail but you will have to spend a lot of cash doing so. Either way you will be out the time or the cash. They are not going to pay your money back even if you are found innocent. This is why the illegal immigrant is not targeted, although he is breaking the law he can not contribute any money into the system so he is overlooked. This happens on the highest levels as well. Microsoft is a prime example, big money grab.

I had a run in two summers ago with the police. I was accused of drinking a beer in public. I WAS NOT. The officer pulled a bottle out of the bushes next to where I was standing and stated I was drinking from it. The bottle was so old it had mud in the bottom of it. Even after I proved my case in court I STILL had to pay a 50 dollar court fee. SO I am still not even!

Good Luck I hope everything turns out ok

This story does not sound credible, and I would guess there's some face saving going on here. These are the Arizona facts...

Reckless driving is a class 2 misdemeanor. Two criminal tickets in two years bumps to class 1. Maximum jail time of a class 2 is 6 months, but the prosecution in Pima county and jurisdictions within (Phoenix metro area is Maricopa county) never seek jail time. It is my understanding that Maricopa is the same.

Drag racing is a class 1 misdemeanor (new change), two in two years is a class 6 felony. No where in either law does it mention impounding of the vehicle.

As one member already stated, he was released without incident. There is way more than is being told... That goes without saying.

------------------
Dennis Walsh
WheelKinetics.com

That is hilarious.I saw that picture and couldn't stop laughing.
smile.gif

As for the bottom line I'll give you all the play by play and also the final verdict soon.I just arrived in from Vegas. Awesome!!

When I get in and have a little time I'll be able to give you the entire story.

My previous (employment) was able to uncover a lot about the entire night in question.It looks exellent for me as well as my fiance'.

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

Sounds like things are looking better for you buddy. Continued good luck wishes.

Worst case I'll get my uncle to pardon you. I only talk to him once a month these days, so I may not be able to get a hold of until Febuary. He's been busy with all that stuff in the Middle East and North Korea and daily news conferences.

Although I do not own an NSX anymore I still visit the site frequently, and I was caught for a similar offense very recently. I was caught doing 160+ on a 55. It was a recless driving, endangering an officers life (I passed a highway patrol), endangering others lives, using the vehicle as a deadly weapon, etc. and I was able to get out of most of it. Shot me an email [email protected] and i'll let you know what i did.

After getting a number of emails, I thought I would clarify that I was joking about the pardon thing & George Bush is obviously not my uncle. : )

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't quiet come across in the written word.

Originally posted by Sig:
Sometimes sarcasm doesn't quiet come across in the written word.

that's why we have smilies such as
wink.gif
and
tongue.gif
and
help.gif

MYNSX: Bill, you weren't in Vega's trying to raise money for the legal costs?
wink.gif
I'm sure members on nsxprime could spare some loose change if u in that much financial difficulty.
tongue.gif

Back