• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nasty droppings on the paint

I have a 91 Black I've owned since new and done all the detailing myself.
My neighbours alder and/or maple trees were secreting some kind of fine spray that landed on my paint , dried and has hardened.
I've tried Turtlewax bug and tar, Meguairs Final Inspection, and Zymol Cleanse with no effect.
Varsol soaked on seems to soften the spots enought to pop them off the paint.
I have a clay kit but haven't used that yet.
Any other suggestions?

Jim

Comprehensive coverage does cover most other things, such as falling or flying objects such as parts from an overhead airplane, rocks, hail, bird strikes, flying lawn furniture, garbage cans, tree limbs from a windstorm, etc., etc.

It also generally includes burglary, theft, vandalism [such as egging, keying, graffitti paint, bashing, etc.].

WD-40 got wild berry bird poop off my boat deck. NOTHING, AND I MEAN NOTHING would remove it. I tried simple green, bleach, bon ami, soft scrub, even pool acid. Anyhow........I sprayed WD-40 and waited a minute and then scrubbed it softly with an old tooth brush. The berry poop came off.

I tried WD-40 on fresh road tar (GRRRRRRRR) on my NSX and it worked perfectly. Use dawn to remove.

If it's all over your car, this is going to be a big project. I'd also try simple green as mentioned above but dilute it first 4-1 or so.

Some interesting comments.

Not sure how insurance coverage will remove tree droppings unless the comment was to claim damages and send it to a detailer.
Also wondering how it's possible to stop neighbour's trees pooping on my car
short of cutting them down.

And some useful comments.

I tried the WD40 and it softened the droplets somewhat. It's looking like WD40/Varsol soak then fingernail to scrape the hard droplets off. Much labor I agree.

Thanks
Jim

+1 on the WD40. For some reason, it's the last option but it always works. :shrug:

For tree sap and the like, I've found if you get to it early enough that hot water (not too hot) does an excellent job of removing the fine dots and even some of the larger sap droppings. If that doesn't get it all, there is a Stoner product called "Tarminator" that works quite well.

-

Back