• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Heads Up on Detailing

If you check the "WAXING" post, I illustrated my choice on detailing my car after 30 posts. Well, unfortunately, they were out of stock on ZYMOL, but I washed my car as I wrote in the last reply to the "WAXING" post but with Rain-X Spot Free wash (that seemed like the best they had), 3 chaniel mits (SP?), manufactured Chamois, and three buckets of spot-free rinse water.

Let me tell you something, my car definitely needs waxing by virtue of the large size beads, but what a job the above combination did. But even more amazing - the Maguires Quick Detailer - OH MY GOD - what an AWESOME finishing touch. My car feels BRAND FRIGGING NEW and smells AWESOME. I couldn't believe what a difference this product makes.

Now, for the biggest BONE HEADED thing I did (and please advise on this). I ACCIDENTALLY put a VINYL RUBBER CLEANER on the trunk (it's the same color and shape bottle as the Maguires) and rubbed it in (I was in the garage) and as soon as I realized it I grabbed a huge wet towel and wet the trunk down, dried it and applied Maguires. It looked (at the time) like no damage was done - BUT - have I caused damage with this product (it was Maguires Tire and Vinyl Cleaner) to the paint and it's just not showing yet? I couldn't believe I wasn't careful enough.

Question - is there a Liquid Wax that's very good. The idea of waxing seems so much easier with liquid. Of course I want the best results. And, if I am right, it seems like I should:
Wash
Clay
Cleanse
Wax
in this order. The paint looks pretty damn pure - should I still clay?

SUPO,

So, you like the QD. AS I mentioned it really adds to a "complete" finish. Also it can be used to clean up any left over wax in the body joints etc.

Meguiars does make a pro wax that is not paste, I have not tried it yet though.

Another thing you can try is in between the cleanse ans wax step try Meguiars #2 POLISH. It makes the car look "wet" all the time.

HTH,
LarryB

I would suggest FEELING the paint before judging to clay or not. Most of the time you can't see the tiny contaminants anyway...so an overhand run over the area in question will more than likely tell you if you really need to do it or not. I usually use some small piece or saran wrap to rub across the paint with little force to tell also. That's if my hands are all pruned and crap from washing, etc. The Saran wrap will stick if it's clean and when it's littered with junk it will just slide around on the tiny particles of dirt. For this test to be effective just clay a small area and test the area that you just cleaned and compared with the adjacent area that "appears" clean and feel the difference.

That is the ultra anal way to judge, but usually a quick rub over with the top of your hand is enough to feel whether or not it may be necessary to clay the car. Looks can be deceiving.

SUPO,

It is a liquid, like a liquid wax. It's in a burgandy bottle #2 Polish. Goes on with a buffer (I use an orbital) Believe me, you will make it BETTER then it is now!!

I read about this stuff here in the detailing section. It goes on after the cleaner, swirl remover (if required), polish, then wax.

HTH,
LarryB

So, do I polish with this stuff - "then" wax it?

Tell me in detail how you apply the stuff. I'm scared to use a buffer incorrectly and then damaging the paint or clear coat.

Back