• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Brakes...help

I am getting this metal scraping sound from my right front tire. Kinda like tin rubbing on metal. Pretty sure this is the "need new brakes" warning sound my brother used to get from his old accord. If it is i need some info on brakes. If it isn't please help me out on what it is.

I do all street driving (would like to get on a track someday), i do drive aggressivly at times. What types of pads should i get. I don't want anything that would eat my rotors up, or something that will need to be replaced right away. What type of place should i go to get this done and how much sould i expect to pay?

thanks,
norm

------------------
92 Red/Blk

I am getting this metal scraping sound from my right front tire. Kinda like tin rubbing on metal. Pretty sure this is the "need new brakes" warning sound my brother used to get from his old accord. If it is i need some info on brakes. If it isn't please help me out on what it is.

It's almost certainly your brake pads.

You can check the thickness of your outside brake pads yourself visually, just by looking through the spokes of your wheels. See http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/brakepads.htm

I do all street driving (would like to get on a track someday), i do drive aggressivly at times. What types of pads should i get.

RM Racing street/track pads. Definitely. See http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/brakes.htm

What type of place should i go to get this done and how much sould i expect to pay?

Any competent mechanic (independent or dealer) can replace brake pads. Figure an hour of labor if it's just the front pads. Labor rates vary, are generally $60-80 per hour.

Or consider hooking up with another NSXer who does their own routine maintenance. Several of us change our own oil, coolant, spark plugs, tranny fluid, brake pads, brake fluid, etc...so you get one of the NSXers to do it and buy them dinner or whatever in return for the favor, and at the same time learn how to do it, so the next time, you can do it yourself. Changing brake pads are easy on the NSX...I used to give myself 20 minutes per corner, including time to bleed the caliper afterwards. Right now, with Brembo's, it's just removing two pins and a spring plate, so it's like 10 minutes per corner, including bleeding the brake fluid.

Working on the NSX is fun and rewarding, but you must make sure you do everything correctly, else it could be catastrophic. :) You learn more about the car and how it works...and learn to appreciate the technology and, for me, finesse with which it was designed and engineered.

Andie

Originally posted by weiku:

Working on the NSX is fun and rewarding,... You learn more about the car and how it works...and learn to appreciate the technology and, for me, finesse with which it was designed and engineered.

Andie

Yes I agree with Andie.

For me, as an engineer, it's the constant awe of seeing the level of detail and thought put into the car.

If you work on the brakes yourself (see FAQ's) just remember to torque all fasteners correctly. As I was taught, "An over-torqued fastener is half broken!!".

Vic

Back