• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need DLP recommendations

Was TV shopping with my father in law yesterday and saw a 62" DLP (Toshiba 62HM15) at Costco for $2999. It's 720p and comes with cablecard + HDMI. The newer DLP's have faster colour wheels so the rainbow effect isn't as noticeable, but you'll have to check it out in person to see if it affects you or not (look near bright lights on a dark screen -- eg. a flashlight). As usual, prices are good at Costco, but selection is abysmal.

We ended up getting the Sony 50" 3LCD which is a better fit for his room, has good black levels, and he's pretty happy with it.

Saw the same TV at circuit city for $200 more.

If you're going to get a native 1080i display, then expect to pay a premium. At the very least, make sure it supports 720p (which most large TV's do). I would not recommend getting anything that says EDTV or 1024x768 etc as most HD content will be broadcast at 720p (and some at 1080i). The majority of the 720p TV's can take in a 1080i signal and scale it down to 720p.

re: LCoS, didn't Intel drop that technology? Is anyone else pushing it?

Arshad said:
re: LCoS, didn't Intel drop that technology? Is anyone else pushing it?
I believe JVC and a few others are still developing it.

As for the Toshiba 62" DLP from Costco, if you wait until the end of January you can save $300 if you have a coupon.

Intel "reallocated assets", in other words, couldn't get the yield of the chips profitable in time to make an easy profit. Phillips and Toshiba both got burned on LCoS and dropped it. Sony, SXRD are commanding a premium and JVC, DILA less so. They are the only ones making LCoS TV’s right now, but LG is soon to launch a version. Brillian has one depending on who you talk to.

With DLP, I always saw the rainbows when looking across the screen side to side quickly. I could still see the red, green, blue streaks, even with the new 7 segment color wheel. Do your research,

http://www.avsforum.com/

Back