• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Help With Paint Question

1995 Formula Red NSX (paint code #R77)
I need to have a fender stripped and re-painted and was wondering what type of paint came on the car. I have heard from some that it is laquer; color & clearcoat. I believe the fender may have been re-painted once in it's life; what type of paint - I don't know. My questions are:
1) Should I try to get it re-painted with the original type of paint or can I go with the modern "water based" paint? In Calif they don't let us use anything but water based....unless I buy the paint out of state and find someone to spray it.
2) Can the color be matched well without "blending" into other panels?

Thank you for your input; NSX Prime is great!

Last edited:
All paint fades over time and you will notice the difference, if you don't blend the surrounding areas.

ss_md is correct. Plus, there is a secret to the red paint and not everyone knows about it... the clear coat is tinted "pink".

San Padro Auto Body did all the cars for Acura that needed paint when they came off the shipping boat. The last I knew, the owner was Fabian at 310-831-8456.

Also, Mike Vu of MV Designz (Santa Ana, CA) has been recommended by tons of people here on Prime. MV Designz did an unbelievable job matching an aftermarket hood on an Imola Orange Pearl 2004 without blending. I saw it in person and was quit amazed at how well it matched. Imola Orange Pearl is probably the second hardest paint to match following Spa Yellow Pearl.

Good luck.

With the recommendation of John our NSX Prime moderator and annual Canyon Run organizer, I went to Art Garnica @ A&R in Oxnard, CA (805 486-3654). He did an absolutely perfect color and clear coat depth match without blending the other panels. I have never experienced this level of commitment, perfection and customer service with a body/paint shop.
Guy

I'm having the front end, driver's side rocker panel and the two rear spats of my 95 red NSX painted by Marcos in Pasadena. I'll be picking the car up tomorrow (Monday). As far as I know no blending to adjacent panels is being one. I'll post the out come on Monday.

Best,

Mario

Picked up my 95 red NSX yesterday. The front end of the car (bumper, hood and both fenders) was painted. The car was painted without blending, but all original paint had been removed. So far I cannot tell the difference between original and new paint other than a slight presence of orange peel, the original paint is basically orange peel free. I have not viewed the car at night under street lights, which another primer stated resulted in a visual difference on his repainted car.

Last edited:
I have not views the car at night under street lights, which another primer stated resulted in a visual difference on his repainted car.

I believe the other primer you speak of noticed the difference under arch lights (or Halogen)... and if I'm not mistaken, he was in a parking structure.(?)

Anyway, I guess my point is that you make sure that you view the car under multiple light sources (i.e. bright sun, cloudy, arch, halogen, florescent, incandescent, etc.)

I'm very interested in your results.

Thanks for the update/review.

I believe the other primer you speak of noticed the difference under arch lights (or Halogen)... and if I'm not mistaken, he was in a parking structure.(?)

Anyway, I guess my point is that you make sure that you view the car under multiple light sources (i.e. bright sun, cloudy, arch, halogen, florescent, incandescent, etc.)

I'm very interested in your results.

Thanks for the update/review.

Steve,

Over the next couple of days, I'll check out the paint job in as many lighting conditions as possible, and then post my observations. However, so far the match is great. I'll post some photos too.

Best,

Mario

one thing that is helpful is looking at the original versus painted panels in late afternoon or early morning sunlight when the sunlight is soft. Under bright sunlight, there is so much light it is harder to see variation in color.

Back