• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Your Opinion!!! ASAP

As something I'd drive on the street, a strong 2. (I've seen uglier so a zero or 1 would be unfair
biggrin.gif
)

Sorry, just not my cup of tea, but if you like it then what's the difference what we think?

As a street car, 1.

At an auto show with 3 chicks in thong bikinis laying all over it, 8.

At least, as long as all of the stickers were removed.

Oh, you're talking about the pix. The pix are very nice. I always like looking at Honda race cars.

I also like this Honda too...

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_031043

But who cares?

Of course, for me, they have zero relevance to me for a street car. On a scale from 1-10, I'd like one of these in 1/10 scale. I'd put it on display in my garage.

-Jim

PS: Why was this ASAP!!! Did you have a chance to buy one of these and needed our opinion right away?

PPS: Are you saying these cars exemplify JDM styling and ethos? I would disagree if you are.

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 15 December 2002).]

I do think it's too much for the street. IMHO, dressing up a street car with aerodynamics suitable for a race car is a bit silly. I happen to think the lines of the NSX are just about perfect. But that's my opinion and what do I know?
wink.gif

As far as decals go. Keep in mind that the owners of those cars probably got paid tidy sums of money to have those decals slapped on their cars. If I could get paid like that, I might consider putting a few decals on my car too!

By the way, if I did like the way those cars looked for use on the street, I'd make the change in a heartbeat regardless of what other people thought.

One of the things that really surprises me on this and other auto forums, is how much people put stock into what other people think about cosmetic changes. I could understand someone getting opinions about performance upgrades, but asking opinions about colors, spoilers, wings, etc, just puzzles me.

-Jim

PS: Should I wear my blue jeans or khakis tomorrow?

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Originally posted by initial-H:
Jimbo
aerodynamics is a very important part in performance upgrade. all of the JGTC bodykit have been tested in the wind tunnel.

P.S. what should you wear tomorrow? not sure, how old r u?

I don't think aerodynamics benefits by those JGTC bodykits would really come into play until speed in excess of 100mph. And one rarely goes past 100mph on street. But what do I know...

So let's review the bidding:

1. New forum member asks for opinions on a car "ASAP".

2. New forum member receives opinions, mostly negative.

3. New forum member accuses those not sharing his apparently favorable opinion of "not knowing anything", failing to understand that his opinion may not be universally held or even very popular.

4. Longtime forum member makes obvious analogy to asking about taste by asking new forum member what he thinks longtime member should wear.

5. New forum member demonstrates that he fails to understand point of analogy.

6. At the same time, new forum member posts information that is totally wrong in another thread.

7. New forum member has also failed to respond to questions about why he was even asking opinions of others (since his mind was already made up), and why he needed those opinions "ASAP".

Does that about cover it?
rolleyes.gif

Threads like this are why many NSXprime members have been complaining lately about the lack of any meaningful content in posts to NSXprime by non-owners of the NSX...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 15 December 2002).]

Initial,

To continue where Zuerst started, aerodynamics plays a minimal role on the street. And for most track events that most of us engage in with our street-licensed cars, aerodynamics plays a modest role at best. The stock NSX aerodynamics are fairly good.

Unless you have a race engine, you're likely just going to increase the drag with all those doo-dads.

Let's put it this way. If you have a stock NSX and $20K to spend on go-fast goodies, I'd spend all that money and not buy a single aero thingy.

If you want to turn a street NSX into a pseudo-racer...that's fine. Really it is. It's your car. But then again, we don't know what you're trying to do either. Perhaps you really are building a legit JGTC racecar?
wink.gif

-Jim

PS: I'm 47. As was pointed out, you missed my little joke. No biggie.

PPS: JDM has changed in the last few years. Today, the "JDM look" has a clean uncluttered look. No garish decals, no huge goofy wings, tasteful and modest body panels, etc.

http://www.707imports.com/jdm.html

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 15 December 2002).]

Originally posted by initial-H:
Jimbo
aerodynamics is a very important part in performance upgrade. all of the JGTC bodykit have been tested in the wind tunnel.

No. All of the real JGTC cars have been tested in wind tunnels. All of the posuer JGTC body kits have been "tested" against pictures of cars that have been tested in wind tunnels. Not the same thing.

To get back to your original question - if it is your car do whatever you want to it. Why are you asking someone esle's opinion about a completely subjective (it is clearly not a performance-based decision) issue? That's why there is more than one flavor of ice cream. Make your car as garish as you want. The owner's opinion is the only one that matters.

However, if you don't want to get laughed at, you had better have a LOT of hp to back up shouting that car is doing.

David got to it before I did. Most (99.9%) of the aftermarket body kits out there for NSX and all other cars are not wind tunnel tested. The only company that wind tunnel tests their body kits is Mugen since they have their own wind tunnel. Most do not have an idea how much it costs to even get an hour of wind tunnel time much less the proper setup, hiring a wind tunnel technician, etc. That is why Mugen body kits are so expensive relative to other brands.

The "JGTC" looking body kits only try to imitate the look and sometimes they don't even achieve that, much less function like the real JGTC aero. And even if you could get the aero down to the exact "JGTC" specs, it would not suit a street car and most likely would not suit most of the NSX out there that are doing serious track time. The JGTC NSXs accerlate at speeds that most track prepared NSXs could only dream about. Combine this with the fact that the car is literally an inch off the ground and that they use race tires that are not available to the general public, you can see that the JGTC NSXs have totally different downforce/aero requirements.

So if you want to get the JGTC "look" body kits because you like the look, go ahead and get it. I like the JGTC look and feel that you should style the car the way you like it. Just don't think that it is functional or somehow would make your car faster on the freeway or street.

Originally posted by David:
No. All of the real JGTC cars have been tested in wind tunnels. All of the posuer JGTC body kits have been "tested" against pictures of cars that have been tested in wind tunnels. Not the same thing.

To get back to your original question - if it is your car do whatever you want to it. Why are you asking someone esle's opinion about a completely subjective (it is clearly not a performance-based decision) issue? That's why there is more than one flavor of ice cream. Make your car as garish as you want. The owner's opinion is the only one that matters.

However, if you don't want to get laughed at, you had better have a LOT of hp to back up shouting that car is doing.

------------------
www.acrmotorsports.com / 949-929-8973

hey MYNSX; u should buy this, remove the stickers and change the rego to MYNSX2 .... and it's PERFECT!!!

someone else with your elite taste in colors & modding...
wink.gif

our friend kelly johnson said "form follows function", and nsx is formed beautifully around some serious function. unless you've got the oomph to back up your facade, then the aero bits should stay on the shelf.

do all the other things to make you and your car faster, badder, gutsier (if that's a word), and THEN add the trick aero stuff. aero improvements are way down on the list of items that drop your lap times, and the cost/benefit curve is way steep at that point.

unless you do all the right things, then the aero package is just for looks, which is a perfectly understandable reason to have em. just know that that's what you're doing.

BTW, i like the looks, except for that big hairy wing, but i'd want to be sure i could back it up on the track.

------------------
dave
94 black/tan

Back