• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner Intro - 92 NSX

Hi all,

A new NSX owner here. I purchased a 1992 from a long time friend this week in Kansas and towed it back to Ohio. Brian had the car since 1995ish. I actually was with him when he test drove it, so it is great to have known the car for so many years! Looking forward to learning a great deal on this forum. I am a wrench-turner and plan to do most of the work myself. The car is in desperate need of a detail, but is mechanically excellent with 153K miles on it. The car was a snap ring car and when the transmission died, the internals were replaced with the Japan spec gearing - much shorter in 2, 3 and 4 and it pulls great. Has Koni adjustables, headers and cat-back exhaust, but is otherwise stock. A few initial pics:

1694710849328.png
1694710930304.png

Most of the initial work is maintenance (transmission fluid swap, fuel filter swap, clean the K&N airbox filter, and start cleaning up the car. It really needs wax. I started with some light Maguire's swirl remover and was excited to see the paint come back so well. I had a local friend who has a paintless dent removal company come out yesterday and pull a few small dings from the car. Other than minor rock chips on the nose, the car's paint and body look REALLY good.

1694710959580.png

The 1994+ wheels probably need to be refinished. Not sure if I will keep them or sell them. I like the Science of Speed 17/18" wheels so may do an upgrade to those vs keep these. Anyone running those wheels by chance?

Thanks,

-- Mike

Welcome aboard!!

My 2003 NA2, that I bought in 2005, spent its first 2 years and 4800 miles in Kansas.

Welcome to Prime and nice NSX!

I think the OEM 16/17 gunmetal wheels look awesome, especially on an original red/black car. They're period correct but still look sharp. There are plenty of threads here on what to refresh on the car, but one thing I would note is to get that K&N filter off the car as soon as possible. Your throttle body and intake manifold is likely gunked up from all the oil blow-by. I'd get a OEM paper filter in there stat. And, I'd pull the throttle body/intake manifold out for a thorough cleaning.

Welcome! Agree, Honda took a huge step back switching to the lighter (and worse, chrome!) wheels as time went on. The 94-96 look the best, with the exception of the now-impossible-to-find Zanardi/Type S. The NSX was so far ahead of its time with the lack of chrome and gunmetal wheels. Unless you really need larger wheels to accommodate bigger brakes, stick with what you've got, but most importantly, it's your car so put on whatever you want! (Except the ghastly chrome things that a previous owner put on mine :) )

I just went from a 2005 to a 2001, and the 16” front wheels just looked small, so I got the SoS 17/18 wheels. They look great, but my old guy eyes wish they were closer to the oem offset.

It’s at the shop getting zanardi springs and Bilstein shocks- I’ll post a few pics when I get it back.

welcome. You seem very well versed in the old sports car game. The NSX is a rewarding car to keep nice and drive. I am very pleased with the feel and performance of the Olin suspension that was put together by Sakebomb garage in Cali..

I really like those wheels on the car! I had OG fat fives on my car and was ok with them but what really made them look better was some spacers (10mm/25mm) and lowering the car with some sport springs. If you keep an eye on the for sale area you'll find some lightly used struts/springs come up for sale from time to time and you can get them for a great deal, or you can drop money on some coils (look up honcho's review of BC coils imo)

With about a 1-1.5" drop the car still looks OEM to everyone but other NSX OEM heads but the stance is just much better suited to the rest of the car's looks.

The thing I love most about the NSX is that is spans all car cultures. Hot rod owners, Civic owners, supercar owners, they are all interested in coming over to talk about your car. You're really going to love it if you enjoy talking cars with people.

I like the Science of Speed 17/18" wheels so may do an upgrade to those vs keep these. Anyone running those wheels by chance?

Here are a couple quick pics of those wheels on my 2001.
IMG-1846.jpgIMG-1844.jpg

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome and for the advice. Greatly appreciated! I'm going to keep the current 16/17 wheel set-up for now, but am going to have them refinished, and install new tires.

@centerpunch - love the car and the wheels look beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
I’m gone the next couple weeks, but looks like you’re in Cincinnati, so you could check them out in person in a few weeks if you like.

I’m gone the next couple weeks, but looks like you’re in Cincinnati, so you could check them out in person in a few weeks if you like.
Sounds good! What Cincy shop is doing the work on your NSX? I've been reading the shop manual (aka - The Bible). The car had valve adjustment/water pump/gaskets/TB almost 10 years ago, but only about 10K miles. Probably need to think about tackling that job sooner than later. The former owner did that work with the engine in the car. Looking at videos and reading articles, I think I'll drop the whole sub assembly if I can steal my friend's lift for a long weekend. :)

Sounds good! What Cincy shop is doing the work on your NSX? I've been reading the shop manual (aka - The Bible). The car had valve adjustment/water pump/gaskets/TB almost 10 years ago, but only about 10K miles. Probably need to think about tackling that job sooner than later. The former owner did that work with the engine in the car. Looking at videos and reading articles, I think I'll drop the whole sub assembly if I can steal my friend's lift for a long weekend. :)

I used to work on my own cars (starting with rebuilding a Porsche 356 engine in high school 50 years ago), but now I'm happy when I find great shops that do great work.

Source1 is one of the best NSX shops in the country, and owner Brian Urlage is one of the most knowledgeable experts. You might just stop in and chat with him about your car, then you can decide what you want to do, and maybe what you'll have them do. They've done all the work on my previous 2005 and changed all the fluids after I bought my new 2001. This winter I'll have them replace the cam belt, water pump, all hoses (over 20!), and more.

Brian et. al are the real deal..and are avid nxsca supporters.

I used to work on my own cars (starting with rebuilding a Porsche 356 engine in high school 50 years ago), but now I'm happy when I find great shops that do great work.

Source1 is one of the best NSX shops in the country, and owner Brian Urlage is one of the most knowledgeable experts. You might just stop in and chat with him about your car, then you can decide what you want to do, and maybe what you'll have them do. They've done all the work on my previous 2005 and changed all the fluids after I bought my new 2001. This winter I'll have them replace the cam belt, water pump, all hoses (over 20!), and more.

That's great to hear - I already met Brian virtually via the Cincy Cars and Coffee FB page and now multiple sources are giving Source 1 a thumbs up. The 23 hose swap has already been done on this car...one thing to cross off the list. :) I am installing all new brakes this week and rebuilding the calipers, and flushing the brake fluid. It has race pads from it's former track days that are very noisy.

Parts are showing up this week. Tires just got here (Falken RT660s in stock 16/17 sizes), as did all the new pads and rotors. The wheels are going to Wheel Doctor on Monday to get stripped down and powder coated the factory color and the tires installed. While it's up on jackstands, the brakes will get completely redone (rotors, pads, caliper rebuilds, etc).

I drove it around 100 miles today - great weather and it ran fantastic. I did notice on cold start and cold idle, the idle hunts slightly from ~750 to just over 1000, and back to 750, then to just over 1000. Slowly repeats itself like that just after start-up. Once I run up thru the gears and it warms up, it's rock steady and doesn't do it again. Normal?

Back