• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Negotiating with dealer with an 03 Nsx / Market value

Ive been talking with a dealer that has a 03 Blue Nsx and have been trying to negotiate a price. They want around 73-75k for the Nsx if bought outright(great condition, less than 5k). I have seen quite a few Nsx's sell for between $65-70k in similar shape, so their price isnt that far off at 73, but a little high in my opinion at 75k.

Ive asked them for trade in value on my Maxima, and blue book shows it to be 17,500, and I think my car, with 18' BBS RGR wheels and BRAND new tires (both should be worth at least 1.5k - 2k together) should be worth at least blue book if not 18,500. They are only offering me 15k for my car and want me to pay 60k for the Nsx.

So that would mean im paying close to 77.5 - 78.5k for this Nsx they are offering if you take into consideration what my Maxima should be really worth. Isnt that a little high for a 2 year old Nsx, even taking into consideration the low mileage, when theres such a small market for the Nsx that Acura barely moves 170-200 a year and the numbers are getting smaller and smaller by year ?

Whats everyone elses experiences here, has anyone bought a used 02, or 03 from a dealership, and how much did you pay for it ?

Dealers use Black Book for wholesale pricing
2003 NSX
Black Book Wholesale

Extra Clean Clean Average Rough
Base $65,000 $64,000 $61,000 $57,100

I don't know the year of the Maxima. Your BBS rims are worthless to the dealer. They will not give you any extra. Take them off and sell on Ebay. There are two ways to do this: wholesale to wholesale or retail to retail. Dealers typically stick with avg blackbook wholesale. In this case, they should have paid around 61k for 03 NSX. They may have paid more or less-only the dealer knows.
Let me know year and model of Maxima and I can then get you wholesale price of your car. Understand the dealer does need to make a profit-you just need to minimize it-for your benefit.

What I have learned after too many years of buying and selling cars, all personal experience by the way, is that there is always another car for sale. Don't cave to the dealership's tactics. Set your price, be fair, and stick to it. Tell the dealership they can either sell it to you for that price or leave it on their showroom as it continues to age and depreciate while you take your hard earned money and but another NSX. If you sucumb to their tactics you will likely resent the car instead of loving it. It would constantly remind you of the terrible deal you got.

Good luck.

Rs250,
Interesting. I checked with Kbb and Nada and got wholesale average of about 66k and retail about 75k for 03 Nsx with ultra low mileage. Even taking into consideration the low mileage, and the extra clean rate you posted below they are well above that asking for 73-77k.

My maxima is a SE, 03 titanium edition, manual, leather, sliding sunroof, limited slip diff, bose stereo with cd changer in dash, mileage is 19,500. Based on the book trade in values that ive seen at kbb and nada, they are averaging about 17,500 for my maxima.

rs250 said:
Dealers use Black Book for wholesale pricing
2003 NSX
Black Book Wholesale

Base $65,000 $64,000 $61,000 $57,100

I don't know the year of the Maxima. Your BBS rims are worthless to the dealer. They will not give you any extra. Take them off and sell on Ebay. There are two ways to do this: wholesale to wholesale or retail to retail. Dealers typically stick with avg blackbook wholesale. In this case, they should have paid around 61k for 03 NSX. They may have paid more or less-only the dealer knows.
Let me know year and model of Maxima and I can then get you wholesale price of your car. Understand the dealer does need to make a profit-you just need to minimize it-for your benefit.

Cairo94507 said:
What I have learned after too many years of buying and selling cars, all personal experience by the way, is that there is always another car for sale. Don't cave to the dealership's tactics. Set your price, be fair, and stick to it. Tell the dealership they can either sell it to you for that price or leave it on their showroom as it continues to age and depreciate while you take your hard earned money and but another NSX. If you sucumb to their tactics you will likely resent the car instead of loving it. It would constantly remind you of the terrible deal you got.

Good luck.

Cairo,
I appreciate your input. I didnt say it in my first post, but im not succumbing to their pricing, and im not dealing with their tactics. Ive given up on them at this point as they arent willing to meet the pricing I came up with, ie, I wanted to pay between 70-72k maximum, and get 18,500 for my maxima with wheels and brand new tires. I thought my offer was reasonable, but they kept insisting on 60k with my trade in which is very unreasonable. I say its unreasonable as that would mean my Maxima would be worth only 12k if you take into account the pricing of 72k I was figuring for the nsx.

Can I ask when you bought your 01 and what you paid for it at that time? Was it from an individual or dealership as well ? (if you dont mind me asking, just for comparison purposes)

Dealer use black book. I think it is based on average weekly auction prices. In other words, what dealer actually pay for cars. KBB and NADA get their prices by different methods. Of course, dealer will show you the book that best suits their arguement. Black book is only available to industry people.
Your Maxima
Black Book Wholesale

Base $18,700 $18,200 $16,500 $14,500
Options $150 $150 $150 150
Mileage Adj. ($325) $0 $250 $0
Total $18,525 $18,350 $16,900 $14,650

The sales manager would probably appraise your car around 16,500 to 16,900. Let's say they paid 61-62 for NSX and give you 17 for your Maxima. Trade difference would be around 45K. That would mean no profit for dealer and a place to start negotiating. Since they did not see your car (my assumption) the dealer hit you with rough book (15K). It is better to go to dealer for appraisal and start negotiating in person. They need to see car and make sure you do not misrepresent it.
Now for this car. I would consider a trade difference (the check you would write not including taxes and fees) of 45K a steal. They want you to pay 60K. At this point, you are 15 K apart. Prices seem to be dropping on NSX, since an 2003 is now 2 years old and there is rebate on 04's. Personally, I would not be willing to go more than a total of 50K on trade difference. Dealers are definately more willing to deal at end of month to hit sales numbers.
The problem with most people and cars is that they let emotions interfere with rational thought processes. Determine your limits before walking into dealer and be prepared to leave. I have had customers come back 5 or 6 times before getting deal done. I never got offended by offers-it is a sign of intent to purchase. However, we could not always reach a mutually agreeable price. That is why there are other cars.
Let me know if you need more help on negotiations. Obviously, I am in sales but now work for a manufacturer.

rs250,
can you tell us black book value of 2002 nsx's?? are manheim auction prices about the same as the black book value? thanks.

I am not sure what auctions Black Book uses. Manheim sends out sheets of the actual prices that cars were sold at auction. I have not been in cars for a few years. Manheim may produce something similar to Black Book.

Black Book Wholesale

Base $62,500 $61,500 $58,000 $53,600

Total $62,500 $61,500 $58,000 $53,600

rs250, thanks for your help.

how often do these #s get updated? will the #s dip down again soon as we get into winter months? (i'm in midwest)

thanks again.

Cory/Modernceo
I bought my '01 in June of this year on the east coast at a large Acura dealership. I flew there to see/buy the car. The price is kind of hard to nail down because of some problems I experienced with the transaction, on their end.

In the end, I paid about $53K for the car which came with a brand new car cover, '02 rear valance still in the box, complete set of OEM tires still with the factory labels affixed and unmounted, 7 year/100K Acura warranty, new front spoiler lip and a couple other things. All in all a pretty good deal for me, I believe.

The car was Acura certified and had 11K miles on it when I bought it and I am the 2nd owner. Immediately upon buying the car and having it shipped to California I spent about $1,100 getting it fully serviced and having a complete tune-up with valve adjustment and all fluids replaced, etc., just to get a base line for the car and feel confident it was in drivable condition with no hidden issues.

My wife and I love the car and drive it on weekends. We plan on tracking it in '05. Can't wait.

Good luck, the deals are out there but you have to be willing to walk away when the dealership plays hardball. I have walked away many times from a car I really wanted, but refused to sucumb to their extortion. It hurts, but another one always comes along.

I don't know about you, but I work pretty hard for my money and have a hard time giving it away foolishly.....regardless of how nice the toy is that I am looking at.

Back