• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Carbon fiber wheels deisgn for NSX's

MachSpeed said:
here they are.....

Do you have actual pics on a car yet?
Anyone care to photochop some on an NSX?
I would like to see how they look on a car if possible. Can't stop thinking about the performance increase these will provide!
Thanks,
John :biggrin:

These look like the same wheels on the Cady STS tech car.
????

ANYTIME said:
Do you have actual pics on a car yet?
Anyone care to photochop some on an NSX?
I would like to see how they look on a car if possible. Can't stop thinking about the performance increase these will provide!
Thanks,
John :biggrin:

Still waiting for some real pics on cars, any cars. :biggrin:

Wow, how much do they weigh? Also, how comes F1 teams don't use carbon wheels, are they strong enough or are they just for carbon nuts who want them on a show car?

-Rob

I would also be interested in type-r lookalikes, as long as they were still carbon underneath the white and saved weight.

ANYTIME said:
Still waiting for some real pics on cars, any cars. :biggrin:

This thread is useless without real pics on cars :frown:
How can anyone decide to plunk down $5000 on wheels, when there is no real pictures on cars?

ANYTIME said:
How can anyone decide to plunk down $5000 on wheels, when there is no real pictures on cars?

Amen brutha...I've been waiting to see pics with CARS as well.
Mike

ANYTIME said:

Go back a few issues in autoweek, they were on a sts concept on the front page.
I would be nice for the person who started promoting these wheels to follow through, but my guess is that there is so little demand that they are busy trying to push them to prototype/concept car designers and show builders.

unfortunately CF wheels are a tuff sell due to there nature. they are very light and very stong but they dont give under severe impact. hit something that would normally bend a wheel everything may be fine, but if its severe enough the impact will go beyond being able to be absorbed by the suspension and will then bend other components, then the problem is Was is a hard enough impact that the structure was compromised or not, should it(the wheel) be xrayed or not. Most people wouldnt spend the money/time/effort to get them checked, and then eventually there would be a failure and they would try to go back and blame someone else for it. The NEW American way, blame everyone else for your problems/mistakes.

Most racing organizations have banned CF wheels mainly due to cost, but secondly the problems associated with detecting cracks etc make them more friendly for factory teams and less for privateers, since most large teams have the budget and the ability to check them regularly.
I dont follow F1 enough to comment on the reason they dont use them, but thats a whole different ball game.

My guess is that in F1 as with all other racing, we always push the envelope, so with carbon wheels you start making them thinner and thinner etc, opens up another set of problems/ possible regulations etc. WHo the hell wants more rules- one- No CF wheels.

Below is a copy of the article in being referenced to: Long read and eye opening :eek:
CarbonWheel_Blk.jpg

Early in 2005, we stumbled upon a manufacturer for a product that seemed almost too good to be true - a carbon fibre wheel, in a C5 Corvette fitment, that weighed 8lbs.

Sure, they were pricy, but 8 lbs for a Corvette wheel is outstanding, and the manufacturer was insistant that they had passed every DOT test under the sun. So we ordered a set, got ourselves set up as a dealer for them, and added them to the ATI PE Performance Store.

As it happened, they got noticed by some folks on some of the enthusiast forums, and soon after we had a full-blown Slashdot Effect going on. The combination of exotic material, ultra light weight, and high price made for a cool discussion point. Hey, we thought they were pretty cool too - that's why we signed up to be a dealer.

But time passed, and we had no wheels. We got all kinds of promises and excuses from the manufacturer, but no wheels. We started to get a little concerned.

And then in a stroke of luck (thanks to a sharp-eyed ATI PE customer) we managed to track down the real manufacturer, made a couple of phone calls, and in very short order, had a wheel in our hands.
carbon_wheel_on_scale.jpg

And then we learned a few things:

The wheel, in an 18 X 10.5 size, with a cast magnesium centre, weighed 15.89 lbs, not 8 lbs as had been claimed

The wheels are being designed more for the OEM market than the performance market. As such, they are currently going through the DOT testing process. So far, they have passed every test in that process, but there are still tests left to go.

The 18 X 10.5 wheel that is their show mule (and that could be built in very short order if required) doesn't quite fit a C5 Corvette. C5-specific wheels could be made, but they'd be special order items.

And then the SCCA banned their use for (at least) the 2005 season.

Having actually seen the wheel, it's a very impressive bit of technology. It looks very cool, with a very distinct carbon fibre weave pattern in the rim shell. The carbon portion is also much thicker and heftier than we first imagined; it feels very strong, and unlikely to crack due to any reasonable impact. If you curbed the wheel, you'd probably gouge it, but not break it.

The manufacturer - the real manufacturer this time - has promised to send us all their technical data on the testing that the wheels have seen.

16 June 2005 - They did send us the technical report as promised, and it is full of all kinds of interesting information. The bottom line is that the wheels are plenty strong - in many cases, it was the magnesium centre section that was the weakest link, not the carbon fibre.

At least one of these tests involved dropping a 440kg (about 1000lbs) anvil a distance of two feet onto the wheel! It seems they are plenty roadworthy.

These tests are British Standard tests, and while they are probably similar to the US DOT tests, they aren't the same, which probably means the wheels aren't DOT certified yet. I would think that they'd have no problems passing though, given how tough the BSI tests were.

We're going to continue discussing these wheels with the manufacturer, and see if we can't bring some wheels to market, mostly for street use (race use depends on if the SCCA decides to lift their ban or not). If you are interested, please feel free to contact us.

But the combination of the SCCA ban and the fact that the actual wheels are double the weight that was first claimed for them has reduced a lot of the urgency.

We've learned a bit of a lesson here about believing "manufacturer" claims until we have product in hand, and rest assured that we, at least, will always tell the truth about our products or products we decide to distrubute. Our primary focus is selling quality, reputable products, and if something doesn't meet expectations, we won't carry it.

In this case, these wheels look to be a very high quality product, but their primary feature, the claimed ultra-light weight, isn't there - nor is it likely to be in the forseeable future.

If you reall want the most exotic-looking (and still reasonably lightweight) wheel for your street car, give us a call, and we'll see what we can do for you.

I am still interested in purchasing these wheels, however not at the current pricing knowing the weights have be exagerated :confused:
I would be a buyer at $3000 for 4 wheels. Am I looking for too much of a deal? Suggestions and or comments are welcome.
Take care,
John :wink:

Back