• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new credit card scam

The Police Department is warning the public about a unique new credit card scam. It is unusual because the callers are already in possession of the victim's credit card number and manage to trick cardholders into divulging other critical card information – without even knowing it.

The scam begins when the caller identifies him or herself and says they're from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. The caller gives a Badge Number and says the victim's card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern. They go on to say it’s on the victim’s VISA card issued by (bank name). They then ask the victim if he or she has purchased an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a Marketing company based in Arizona.

When the victim replies "no," the callers explain that VISA has been watching this company, suspecting it was responsible for fraudulent charges just under the $500 purchase amount that normally flags credit cards.

The callers then promise a credit on the next statement, sent to the victim’s address, which they recite and ask if it’s correct. The victim replies “yes” and the callers promise a Fraud Investigation. They then give the victim a six digit “control number” and urge the victim to call the 1-800 number on the back of their card if they have questions.

The critical part of the scam occurs when the caller says he or she must verify that the victim is in possession of the card by asking them to read the three numbers following the account number on the back of the card. That “security” number is often required to make purchases over the internet. Once in possession of the “security number,” the scammers are able to make fraudulent charges.

Victims of this scam actually say little more than “yes” or “no” until the end of the conversation, yet give out critical information. For more information about how to protect yourself from all types of fraud or to report fraud, visit or call the National Fraud Information Center at www.fraud.org or 1-800-876-7060.

Wow, thanks for the heads up on that. Why do people do things like this :mad: Go out and make your own D*MN money and quit trying to steal others. :mad:
I will be sure and hang up on them when/if they call.

It is amazing that people spend so much time trying to con others.....most of them seem pretty smart to come up with the elaborate scams that they do, so I am always confused why they do not put that energy to good use. :confused:

I don't think I would fall for it but I can see how a lot of people would. Was there any mention of how they typically wind up with your CC# in the first place?

Back