• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Driveshafts - Best source to purchase

FYI, I got my shafts today and they look great. It will be a few weeks before I put them in. Still waiting on my suspension to arrive first and need to pick up new transmission seals still.

I ordered and paid for a set six weeks ago vis paypal and am still waiting for delivery. I have been promised a delivery date twice but still nothing in the mail. I hope this business is reliable. My customer has become doubtful waiting to complete the repair on his vehicle..

I ordered and paid for a set six weeks ago vis paypal and am still waiting for delivery. I have been promised a delivery date twice but still nothing in the mail. I hope this business is reliable. My customer has become doubtful waiting to complete the repair on his vehicle..

I received the pair last week. Have yet to install but will keep all posted

Last edited:
Received the shafts and the installation went without any problems. I replaced the hub and intermediate shaft bearings while I was there. Made a real difference. Suggestion: The dealership cost for the intermediate bearing was excessive...even with the club discount. Instead just buy one from an online bearing company for about $9 (w/o shipping). I purchased the two hub bearing assemblies via Amazon at a very reasonable price. The shop labor to press them off/on was excessive but was covered by the total savings from shopping around and doing the labor myself.

Received the shafts and the installation went without any problems. I replaced the hub and intermediate shaft bearings while I was there. Made a real difference. Suggestion: The dealership cost for the intermediate bearing was excessive...even with the club discount. Instead just buy one from an online bearing company for about $9 (w/o shipping). I purchased the two hub bearing assemblies via Amazon at a very reasonable price. The shop labor to press them off/on was excessive but was covered by the total savings from shopping around and doing the labor myself.

What difference did you feel?

Any links to the bearings we need? More details please

I had a set of "Insane Shafts" put in my NSX last week. My mechanic said they looked good and so far they're working as expected in my car.

It took a bit less than 3 weeks from order to delivery. I was sort of worried when I called after a few days and the phone was answered with a "hello" and no indication that it was a business number until I asked. Nonetheless, the person who answered told me what was happening with the order and it arrived in good order. The real proof is going to take longer than a few days, but for now I'm happy.

Placed an order with Insane Shafts on Feb 14th and they arrived Feb 19th. They look great. We'll see how they work out.

Last edited:
That picture looks very familiar :) Mine's are fine after idk 5k miles or so.

Do you get any sort of noise (kind of a ticking while accelerating)?

I had these installed in August and noticed the noise. I did email Mike and he said it should not be a problem. He also did offer to take them back.

There is another member with a similar problem; I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I had these installed in August and noticed the noise. I did email Mike and he said it should not be a problem. He also did offer to take them back.

There is another member with a similar problem; I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Curious as well. I was the the person who had a problem. I completely forgot about these shafts since its been freezing cold in Montreal.
I'll contact him next week & see about shipping them back.

I texted mike & he agreed to have a look at the shafts. I'm doing the shipping labels now & will send them out tomorrow. We have a blizzard here in Montreal, winter is still going strong. I'll update at the end of march after installing them again.

why are you guys buying new driveshafts instead of having them rebuilt/serviced?

I only ask because my car's been out of commission for several months due to my passenger rear axle popping out. I bought two rebuild kits but I have not removed the driveshafts yet to inspect them in hopes of rebuilding them.

Thanks,

why are you guys buying new driveshafts instead of having them rebuilt/serviced?

I only ask because my car's been out of commission for several months due to my passenger rear axle popping out. I bought two rebuild kits but I have not removed the driveshafts yet to inspect them in hopes of rebuilding them.

Thanks,

I honestly don't even drive fast & I already get pulled over often for no reason (sorry I meant random checks). I knew my boot was torn, so decided to grab the Insaneshafts because the price was good & figured why not get a whole new set of driveshafts. I really should just have changed all of the CV boots & left it at that.

I honestly don't even drive fast & I already get pulled over often for no reason (sorry I meant random checks). I knew my boot was torn, so decided to grab the Insaneshafts because the price was good & figured why not get a whole new set of driveshafts. I really should just have changed all of the CV boots & left it at that.

I am still confused. You had a torn boot so you decided to replace your OEM driveshaft for a new placement just because of the boot?

For anyone that has experience with NSX driveshafts, at what point is a driveshaft unrepairable? What are common reasons for malfunction, issues, problems, etc..?

thanks!

I think people buy new ones because it's not possible to buy each of the individual parts to replace worn items. New parts are available in sets, but are very expensive, so I think people turn to Insane Shafts or other aftermarket options for price.

What does "passenger rear axle popping out" mean? What popped out of where?

I just rebuilt my axles/driveshafts because I heard a slight clunk from time to time. I'm not sure it related to my CV joints but figured it was a good maintenance item; I'm glad I did because two of the rollers has spalled races. See here. I was able to find used replacement rollers by posting on Prime and thanks to the kindness of [MENTION=28116]NSXcitement[/MENTION] who sent them to me. Last night I was able to put everything back together with new boots and grease (Redline CV-2, as a number of people here have suggested). So mine should be good for a while.

Most of the posts that you will find on Prime relate to people with boots that are loose or torn, allowing the grease to escape. Without the grease, the joints seem likely to fail quickly. I know a number of the guys who track their cars a lot regrease the CV joints regularly. Other posts relate to broken driveshafts, almost for sure on cars with forced induction; I believe the spiders break, but this is beyond my knowledge.

I think people buy new ones because it's not possible to buy each of the individual parts to replace worn items. New parts are available in sets, but are very expensive, so I think people turn to Insane Shafts or other aftermarket options for price.

What does "passenger rear axle popping out" mean? What popped out of where?

I just rebuilt my axles/driveshafts because I heard a slight clunk from time to time. I'm not sure it related to my CV joints but figured it was a good maintenance item; I'm glad I did because two of the rollers has spalled races. See here. I was able to find used replacement rollers by posting on Prime and thanks to the kindness of [MENTION=28116]NSXcitement[/MENTION] who sent them to me. Last night I was able to put everything back together with new boots and grease (Redline CV-2, as a number of people here have suggested). So mine should be good for a while.

Most of the posts that you will find on Prime relate to people with boots that are loose or torn, allowing the grease to escape. Without the grease, the joints seem likely to fail quickly. I know a number of the guys who track their cars a lot regrease the CV joints regularly. Other posts relate to broken driveshafts, almost for sure on cars with forced induction; I believe the spiders break, but this is beyond my knowledge.

Thanks for replying back. Although this is not my car and video, here is a video that shows what my car is doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwIIa7OsBZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41KuFsWKdOs

Back