• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New insurance?? - Wawanesa

While looking for new insurance found that Wawanesa was cheaper buy a few hundred for my cars. Does anyone know if Wawanesa will cover non racing events at the track, such as HPDE or other high performance track day events? Want to take the NSX out a few times a year and not have to worry about additional insurance. Thanks.

I've been with Wawanesa since about 2000. I lost my '91 silver in a track incident in 2005 and they covered it. I told them it was at Laguna Seca Raceway driving event (not a race) and it was no problem. The car was totaled and they offered and came to agreement with what my car was worth given condition and rarity of color (silver). I bought my current '92 red in 2008 and at that time they affirmed coverage on track and autocross events. I have not seen anything in my coverage that has changed regarding coverage at track and autocross events. I would confirm verbally though. They are a great insurance company and that's why I stay with them. The rates are much lower as they will only insure good drivers. If you have more than a point on your record, they won't take your business.

Many of the insurance companies have changed the wording of their policies since 2005, and now almost all companies have explicit exclusions for incidents occurring on racetracks, regardless of the type of event. I strongly recommend checking the wording of any policy before concluding that such an incident would be covered.

Here are two sources for ratings of auto insurance companies:

J. D. Power
2013 Auto Insurance Purchase Experience
2012 U.S. Auto Claims Ratings
2013 U.S. Auto Insurance Study

Consumer Reports frequently publishes articles that include ratings of auto insurance companies; their most recent was in the June 2013 issue, which you should be able to find in your local public library.

(In that last J.D. Power study, Wawanesa was an award recipient for policyholders in California. Other companies won awards for policyholders in other regions of the country.)

Last edited:
Back