• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX owner looking for advice.

I recently purchased a 1991 NSX with just over 80,000 miles that is completely stock short of the added battery tender. It is in pristine condition. Will adding after market wheels, shocks and exhaust reduce the value of the car if hard times avail themselves and I'm forced to sell? I know American muscle cars are worth more original.

I look forward to all of the advice this forum provides. I know another local NSX owner who has told me how much valuable advice and hands on help he has received after becoming a member.

Last edited:
Some people pay for the originality factor. So I'd say yes a stock NSX that looks as if it rolled out of the factory will retain more value in the eyes of the next buyer.

Worst case hold onto the OEM parts. All the mods you suggested are easily reversible.

If you add quality aftermarket wheels (not 20" wheels or something like that), shocks/coilovers and exhaust, they will not reduce the value of your car. you might want to keep your stock wheels in case you want to sell your aftermarket wheels separately when you sell your car.

I recently purchased a 1991 NSX with just over 80,000 miles that is completely stock short of the added battery tender. It is in pristine condition. Will adding after market wheels, shocks and exhaust reduce the value of the car if hard times avail themselves and I'm forced to sell? I know know American muscle cars are worth more original.

I look forward to all of the advice this forum provides. I know another local NSX owner who has told me how much valuable advice and hands on help he has received after becoming a member.

I recently purchased a 1991 NSX with just over 80,000 miles that is completely stock short of the added battery tender. It is in pristine condition. Will adding after market wheels, shocks and exhaust reduce the value of the car if hard times avail themselves and I'm forced to sell? I know know American muscle cars are worth more original.

It does depend some on the parts. quality parts will probably add value. This car has 80K not 8K. So you aren't going to get that buyer that wants a museum quality piece in showroom stock condition. You are going to get a buyer that may want to buy the parts you have on there anyway. Wheels are HIGHLY subjective so keep the OEM. But I can guarantee you a set of Volks, A set of KW's, and a Titanium exhaust will not reduce the value of the car. You may not get what you spent but most people can recognize the added value of such expensive items.

Thanks for your input.

Make it mine. Save the parts for the next guy.

Any mods I should definetly avoid?

Make sure you ASK about a part or a mod anyone is selling before you buy it and install it. Get opinions. A lot of guys will know something is no good but they aren't going to come out and say it, hurt a vendor and get owners of those parts upset.

I know that's sort of the law of the land, that no one pipes up about shoddy parts, and I think it's crap. That's supposed to be what a forum is all about - sharing information with other enthusiasts. Not coddling vendors.

OP - Look up the regret thread, there is some good info in there.

If you add aftermarket parts onto a car, your market for selling the car will become smaller. That's because you would have to find a buyer who would be willing to buy a car with the same modifications as yours vs a car that is all stock which is more appealing to more buyers.

When I purchased my car, I was adamant that I wanted a car that was never modified in its lifetime. I'm sure a lot of buyers feel the same way out there.

Don't buy knock off Ebay garbage. Do your homework on what, and who you purchase your goods from. Use the search function and you will see who Im talking about. It's a small community and there are some people / business to stay away from. If you buy quality parts it will increase the value of your car but you will never get a 100% return on your money. You will however get a 100% return on your enjoyment.

Some people pay for the originality factor. So I'd say yes a stock NSX that looks as if it rolled out of the factory will retain more value in the eyes of the next buyer.

Worst case hold onto the OEM parts. All the mods you suggested are easily reversible.

+1

Once a car is modified will always be mod even if you unmodified it. You no longer can claim car has never been 'Mod'. IMO, you definitely ruin its originality if any parts on the car not from factory from the day it rolled off showroom other than your normal wear and tear replacement parts such as tires,oil changes,filters etc ..

How would someone know that a previous owner didn't put an intake on and then replace it with the OEM before selling. Unless its documented somewhere like Prime, your not going to know. Its your car do with as you wish. I do agree keep all the OEM parts in case you do decide to go back. I still have the OEM parts(as much as my wife wishes I would sell some of the stuff) I didn't buy the NSX as an investment, I bought it cause it was a dream car. Like stated earlier if it had 8K or was a Zanardi or even a NA2 Coupe, then I would probably keep it unmodded with as little miles as I could on it.

Blad3runn3r did you post pictures of your NSX?

Last edited:
Bladerunner, it's a 1991 with 80K. Keep things in perspective. No matter what you do to that car it will always be worth 25-30K minimum if in good shape. This whole "original will lose less" thing on your car is a few thousand AT MOST. It is not a 1000 mile 2005 NSX-R that's listed at 150K. It's not senna's original car, it's not one of 50 zanardis or the only 2005 white/white coupe in the world. So I wouldn't worry myself over it. You've bought one of the most rock solid least depreciating used cars possible.

How would someone know that a previous owner didn't put an intake on and then replace it with the OEM before selling. Unless its documented somewhere like Prime, your not going to know. Its your car do with as you wish. I do agree keep all the OEM parts in case you do decide to go back. I still have the OEM parts(as much as my wife wishes I would sell some of the stuff) I didn't buy the NSX as an investment, I bought it cause it was a dream car. Like stated earlier if it had 8K or was a Zanardi or even a NA2 Coupe, then I would probably keep it unmodded with as little miles as I could on it.

Blad3runn3r did you post pictures of your NSX?

I haven't posted any pics as of yet. Weather and time issues. I'll have something up in the next couple of weeks.

I agree with Turbo2go. It's a 1991 with 80,000 miles. Do what you want with the car and enjoy it. There are plenty of interested buyers for stock NSX's or modified. If you want to sell it, you will find plenty of buyers. Have fun, make it your own and put as many miles on it as you can.

Back