• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Yokohama Tires in 215-40/17

This is a common front size for those of us who have gone to 17/18" wheels, and as you all know there aren't many choices, so I was interested to see these new tires just pop up on Tire Rack. Both come in 265/35/18 for rears. Does anyone know anything about either one of these?-

In the Ultra category-
YOKOHAMA
ADVAN FLEVA V701

Ultra High Performance Summer
Size: 215/40ZR17 87W XL

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R7V701XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

In the Extreme category (this one looks pretty close to a racing slick for the street)-

YOKOHAMA
ADVAN A052
Extreme Performance Summer
Size: 215/40R17 87W XL

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+A052&partnum=14WR7A052XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited:
You’re right about the A052, from what I have read. It’s a tire targeting competition events with a 200 tw minimum. Seems perfect!

Hi, I'm bumping my thread to see if anyone has any experience with the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701. I currently have S.Drives, and have been pleased with them, although they are super stiff. For a tire in their category they handle quite well, but are a bit too harsh at times.
I don't really need an extreme tire, and will drive it some in cold weather, so a tire in this category typically works better for me, but I do want to preserve the good handling and crisp turn in, I just don't need the ultimate grip of an extreme tire.
my goal would be a tire that handles as well as the S.Drives, but is a little bit less harsh.

Last edited:
Hey Robbie,
I say give it a try and let us know how the Fleva V701 work with the NSX. Be a pioneer for Prime! lol
I think I'll end up giving them a try with a set of OEM 16/17 wheels when the time comes (for an experiment at a less aggressive/longer lasting approach).

I, of course, can't speak to their harshness/comfort level yet, but they are essentially the successor to the S.Drive, which should at least fall in line with what you're looking for.
Based on the Tire Rack test (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=247), "Leads the test on the dry track and feels nimble on the road." and "tops the charts on the dry track and is taut and responsive during normal, everyday driving." which should fit your "good handling and crisp turn in" requirements. There were some cons against it in the wet traction department, but I'm guessing that might not be an issue for you.
And, naturally, after reading through the test some more, found this "There was mild pattern noise that mostly faded into the background, and the taut ride was a little stiff over sharp impacts."
So maybe they're not exactly what you're hoping for.

(I've already typed all of this, so I'm posting it anyway, lol.)

Hey, thanks for all the information. I checked my tread depth and there's more there than I thought there was so it'll be a while longer before I get tires. I will probably either get these or the Pirelli P Zero Nero GT which some folks on here had recommended, although there is an outside chance that I could sell the car.

Understood. Do come back and comment on whatever you decide to try. If I get to the Fleva V701 before you do, I'll try and comment in here.

although there is an outside chance that I could sell the car.
Don't do it!!
But I understand if you're at that point.

I put on a set of Yokohama Advan A052s last week and am very happy with them. Incredible grip and noise not significant for a 200tw tire. I use the car for weekend fun only so will Likely age-out the tires before I wear them out so not concerned about tread life. The trade-off for driving fun is totally worth it to me.

I put on a set of Yokohama Advan A052s last week and am very happy with them. Incredible grip and noise not significant for a 200tw tire. I use the car for weekend fun only so will Likely age-out the tires before I wear them out so not concerned about tread life. The trade-off for driving fun is totally worth it to me.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on these tires. I've been looking at these as a replacement for the AD08R that is currently on my car.

Yokohama with 17/18

I got 17/18 forged SOS rims with Yokohama
215/40ZR-17 YOKOHAMA ADVAN FLEVA V701 XL
255/35R-18 YOKOHAMA ADVAN APEX V601
I'm very happy with them. Handle excellent, have not experience any noise and good turn in.
I drive spiritedly but on the conservative side, so these work for me.

Just bought a set of the Fleva's (what a name) for my recently purchased 91. Getting 205/40 17 and 265/35 18s and will report impressions after I get some miles on them. Was disappointed to learn that Continental no longer makes an ExtremeContact DW or Sport in a 205 or 215/40 17. My fronts are date coded 09 and even though they have plenty of tread and the rears are basically new, I've decided to replace all four tires. Don't want to Paul Walker the car (RIP.) Not a super sticky tire but I'm not planning on flogging (too much) the car.

I have the Advan A052s on a track day Miata that I drive to the track. Tires replaced Nitto NT01s, which are simply too loud on the Hwy. Took the Miata to Lime Rock earlier this month and times are basically the same as with the NT01s. I've also had the Potenza RE71s and Direzza IIs on the Miata and the AO52s are my favorite. Didn't get them for the NSX because wanted a 300 treadware tire and because didn't need to spend the money for the extra grip. But I think they are a great tire.

Bringing this thread back to discuss the Flevas and the AO52s. Just got my car with Conti ExtremeContact DWs. The rears were basically new (just purchased but with a 2018 date code) but I wanted to replace the fronts, which were from 2009. Went with 205/40 R17 and 265/35 R18 Advan Flevas. They have more tread than the Conti's.
414453460.jpg

I've had the Conti's on another car and they are a good summer tire, although once it gets in the low 40s, they chirp from the cold when making parking lot turns and I'd put on winter wheels/tires. I've also had the S-Drives that the Flevas replaced on a couple of cars and found the S-Drives to be very good in terms of wear and in the rain. (Not Planning on driving the NSX in the rain though, lol.)
I currently have a set of S-Drives for my track day Miata for when not on the track and compare the S-Drive with the Fleva here.
414453461.jpg

The S-Drive tread is a little heavier and deeper. As an aside, my current track day tires for the Miata are AO52s, and they are GREAT. Prior Miata tires were NT01s, which are loud as hell on the road, and before that, RE71s, which wear quickly. The AO52s are very communicative and forgiving, with plenty of stick. But with a tread wear of 200 and with me not planning to track the NSX, I went with the 300 treadwear (and price!) of the Flevas.

So far, and that's not a lot of driving, they are quiet (or at least don't roar louder than the exhaust, like the NT01s) I'll report more once I can stick them into a turn or two.

Back