• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

newbie here, just a few questions

i currently own a 2003 bmw m3 but was thinking of picking up a 91 nsx with 150k miles. i have a few questions :
1. what would be the cost to overhaul the engine
2. any good resources for nsx aftermarket parts?
3. how much is the maintenance(oil change etc)
4. where can i get 2000 and up exterior parts such as bumpers etc?
5. for the said model, is 21k a fair price?
thanks guys and hope to join the nsx community soon :smile:

i currently own a 2003 bmw m3 but was thinking of picking up a 91 nsx with 150k miles. i have a few questions :
1. what would be the cost to overhaul the engine
2. any good resources for nsx aftermarket parts?
3. how much is the maintenance(oil change etc)
4. where can i get 2000 and up exterior parts such as bumpers etc?
5. for the said model, is 21k a fair price?
thanks guys and hope to join the nsx community soon :smile:

1. scienceofspeed.com
2. same
3. Just had my oil changed today. 5.2 quarts of mobil1 was ~$30. $17 for the filter. $15 for labor? Something like that.
4. same as #1 or your acura dealer. Its not cheap...
5. A 1991 is going to be around $28-35k I would think. Not sure about one with 150k miles. I would GUESS around $25-29, but it would depend on a lot of factors. Best bet is to search through the forsale section here and on autotrader.com to get a good idea.

1. Why do you think you need to "overhaul" the engine? Have you driven the car and experienced problems with it? Has the current owner disclosed any engine problems? I get the feeling that you feel an personally, engine with 150K miles is in need of an engine rebuild, and I wouldn't think that is necessary unless you have found pre-existing problems.

4. I think you are referring to 2002 model-year parts.

thanks guys! i just thought that 150k is alot of miles especially a 15 yr old car. but thanks for the inputs. scienceofspeed.com is a good site. thanks again

I wouldn't be afraid of 150K miles if the car has been properly maintained (and documented). My car has 139K, still runs great and keeps up with many newer NSXes.

thanks guys! i just thought that 150k is alot of miles especially a 15 yr old car. but thanks for the inputs. scienceofspeed.com is a good site. thanks again

Japanese cars with well over 200K miles w/o an engine rebuild are common sights these days...the NSX is no different.

I'm not sure why you feel 150K miles would be especially high for a 15 year old car--that's only 10k miles/year which is pretty standard mileage for the average driver and leases. It's well above the 5k miles/year median that NSXs have but that's academic. The NSX holds up as well or better than any Accord or Civic.

I wouldn't assume an engine rebuild is necessary anytime soon if purchasing an NSX with the age & mileage you described unless there was some evidence to suggest otherwise (i.e. compression/leakdown tests, funny noises, etc.)

Back