• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NEWBIE questions: LSD and color

Hello, My name is Alex and I'm the new owner of a 1992 Red
Acura NSX. I have 2 questions I cant figure out the answers.
#1-Does my manual transmission NSX has a Limited Slip Differential ?
#2- Every Red NSX I can find pictures of have a black roof. The one on my car is red, like the rest of the car. Is it factory ?

thank you for your answers

Yes your car has LSD 1.5 way ....good in the turns, if you want one that is good on the straights you need a 2.0 way, ATS makes one and Cris at Science of Speed carries it. the two way is pricey though. two way engages and locks sooner and holds longer (resulting in good launches for 1/4). its all a matter of what you want out of your car. it is set up for the twists OE ,for drag you probably want two way. as for color I dont own a red car but think the early models all had a black roof and Honda switched to all red later but do not know the precise year.
If you do go two way(for drag racing) and are considering an upgrade clutch also stay with the stock fly even with a heavier clutch with superior holding power. for drag you dont want a lightweight flywheel it does not have the inertia to facilitate a proper drag launch. just an fyi...I know you didnt ask about the flywheel but thought you might benefit from the post if you are setting up the car for 1/4

Best Regards David

Actually, the '91-94 NSX has what is known as a "Torque Control Differential". You can read more about it in the FAQ here.

In '95 they changed the diff on manual-transmission cars to a "Torque Reactive Differential", left it as a Torque Control Differential on the cars with automatics. That's what PHOEN$X was referring to.

BadCarma said:
Yes your car has LSD 1.5 way ....good in the turns, if you want one that is good on the straights you need a 2.0 way.

I thought 1, 1.5 and 2 way LSDs only referred to clutch-type LSDs. Don't NSX have gear-type LSDs like other Acuras?

Update

apapada said:
Thank you all. You've been great !

Got confirmation from previous owner that car had roof repainted same color as body. I like it better this way too...

nsxtasy said:
Actually, the '91-94 NSX has what is known as a "Torque Control Differential". You can read more about it in the FAQ here.

In '95 they changed the diff on manual-transmission cars to a "Torque Reactive Differential", left it as a Torque Control Differential on the cars with automatics.

The FAQ explanation sounds to me as if the earlier Torque Control Differential is superior to the later Torque Reactive Differential. Specifically, the earlier system compensates for crosswinds. Does the Reactive Differential not deal effectively with crosswinds?

From a technical standpoint, is there any reason why the manual NSX would benefit from the Reactive Differential and an automatic car would benefit more from the Torque Control Differential?

Back