• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No contract cell phones

I've been s sprint/nextel customer for 10 years and been on the unlimited plan just as long. I recently purchased a GSM google nexus 4 and have gone with a t-mobile plan. I bought a simple mobile sim card as well but haven't recieved the SIM yet. I work a month in brazil and im home a month and i need the GSM flexibility, my last 2 cell bills with sprint on their international plan, was as much as a used exhaust!!!! I was wondering if any of you have gotten away from contracts with cell companies and are going the GSM unlocked route? So far the only thing im missing is visual voice mail but everything else seems to be fine. The nexus 4 is a nice phone for the money and its already unlocked. I'm getting 11mbps download speeds on their HSPA network, much faster than the sprint 4g. My bill is $50 for the tmobile unlimited, which is half the Sprint unlimited plan. Im needing a good international SIM while oversea, any suggestions?

I'm really tired of my $150/month Verizon bill. Really looking for a way out. It's just ridiculous it's almost a car payment a month. I've heard bad things about the prepaid companies but I'm hoping they have improved.

Simplemobile seems to have the best package. I compared the cost of me getting an iPhone 5 with sprint and paying 100 monthly, to buying an unlocked GSM phone (the nexus 4), and doing the prepaid thing and it was substantially cheaper. Even buying the iPhone 5 for $800 unlocked. Paying for only what you use is great for me since I use the phone 6 months out of the year.

I too have switched over to an unlocked Google Nexus 4 with the $30/mo. T-Mobile unlimited data/text, 100 minuted plan. So far I'm very satisfied with my purchase and don't miss paying AT&T $100/mo. I'm looking to get my wife a Nexus 4 as soon as it again becomes available (apparently these things are hard to catch). The 100 minutes can go fast but I've recently downloaded the Vonage app for outgoing calls, spare my minutes.

I too have switched over to an unlocked Google Nexus 4 with the $30/mo. T-Mobile unlimited data/text, 100 minuted plan. So far I'm very satisfied with my purchase and don't miss paying AT&T $100/mo. I'm looking to get my wife a Nexus 4 as soon as it again becomes available (apparently these things are hard to catch). The 100 minutes can go fast but I've recently downloaded the Vonage app for outgoing calls, spare my minutes.

I don't see such a plan anywhere on their site.

the 30 a month plan is great. unlimited text and data plan. use the data pan for the google number. so if you think bout it, 30 bucks for unlimited text, data plan, and minutes. Also if you have an andoid, there is an app for free calling using your number.
To get this plan, you'll have to call them. If not, walmart will help you get it.
also on slick, there is a link where you can save 5% off from prepaid. I bought 300 for 285. No tax. I don't have to look at my phone bills for another 10 months lol

Last edited:
I don't see such a plan anywhere on their site.

On the T-Mobile site click the 'monthly 4G' link under the 'plans' tab. It should show up as a 'web exclusive'. When I switched over to T-Mobile I remember it saying it was a plan for "new customers" so you should be eligible.

I know Google voice let's you make calls thru Wi-Fi, but I haven't tried it yet. I went to a T-Mobile store and explained everything. I also so spent countless Howard's forums looking at the different plans. The Google nexus phone is very nice and cheap! I really liked the feel of the iPhone5, but they are ridiculous unlocked price wise. Everything works, text and MMS. No visual voicemail though.

On the T-Mobile site click the 'monthly 4G' link under the 'plans' tab. It should show up as a 'web exclusive'. When I switched over to T-Mobile I remember it saying it was a plan for "new customers" so you should be eligible.

I was gonna try that plan but I thought I'd need more minutes, glad I can change whenever.

I was gonna try that plan but I thought I'd need more minutes, glad I can change whenever.

I may need more minutes. I'll attempt to use VOIP apps such as Google Voice or Vonage to budget my minutes. Even still the charge for minutes is 10 cents per minute over my initial 100 which isn't all that bad. I think my voice average for AT&T was under 300 minutes (including nights and weekends). Even with an additional 200 used minutes that puts me at $50/mo. , half of what I paid AT&T for four years. :D

I've had Boost Mobile monthly unlimited (50+ tax) which uses Sprint/Nextels CDMA network. I had a good experience with them save for the limited selection of phones back in 2009/2010.

I've also used AT&T's Go-Phone unlimited which is also (50+tax). That operates on ATT's GSM network.

I had good experiences with both.

Howardforums is a good resource for all things mobile related.

But what is the phone selection like? What is the best phone you can get through any of these cheaper guys? I'm kind of spoiled with my Verizon coverage and iPhone 4S. But seriously the bill is just ridiculous. Bee r bee why won't the vonage option work?

But what is the phone selection like? What is the best phone you can get through any of these cheaper guys? I'm kind of spoiled with my Verizon coverage and iPhone 4S. But seriously the bill is just ridiculous. Bee r bee why won't the vonage option work?

the phone selections is laughable!! i think a few of them have the galaxy s3 now. The Google nexus 4 is a great phone and its 350 unlocked, if you can get it. I got one off craigslist. Even buying an unlocked phone straight out and going with the pay as you go packages are cheaper than the contract way. I bought an iphone5 on contact for more money than i paid for the unlocked nexus 4. its best to get your own unlocked phone then pick a plan.

Last edited:

You can use any phone you want as long as it is unlocked. For Boost you'll need a CDMA phone that operates on Sprint's Frequencies. For ATT you'll need a GSM phone that operates on their frequencies.

So there is metro pcs, boost mobile, trac phone, and it looks like AT&T and t mobile even offer these plans? Which I don't get... Why would anyone take their normal plans if they offer a cheaper prepaid option....

Who is the one to go with? Can I just unlock my current iPhone?

So there is metro pcs, boost mobile, trac phone, and it looks like AT&T and t mobile even offer these plans? Which I don't get... Why would anyone take their normal plans if they offer a cheaper prepaid option....

AT&T will unlock your phone for you if you are off contract. Just go into the store and ask. EDIT - DERP, your on Verizon. Just call them and ask, if your off contract, or look on craigslist; I'm sure there is someone or a buisness local to you that can do it.

Sprint, Verizon, ATT&T and T-Mobile are the only real providers. Most of the smaller providers such a Virgin, Boost, Page Plus ect. all are resellers that come with a catch; they either offer crappy data speeds, reduced coverage maps, or some other major draw back. My wife is on Page Plus - She has Verizon coverage and more text and voice minuites then she could use in a month, but only gets a few hundred megabytes of data, for 29.95/month. She doesent surf the net on her phone so its perfect for her, but wouldn't work for me or a lot of other users.

Major carriers offer pre and post paid plans as some people want the 600 phone, but only have 200, so the carrier will subsidize the phone's cost upfront in exchange for a higher monthly bill and a two year agreement. Those who are willing to pay full price for their phone, or use an older and/or cheaper phone get better per month deals. As with most things, if you want the latest and greatest, their gonna make you pay for it one way or the other. From purely a cost standpoint prepaid is definitely the way to go.

The Nexus 4 with T-mobile is perhaps the best bang for buck combo available. As previously mentioned, its 30/month for unlimited text and data, with 100 minutes of voice time per month, or 50 for unlimited everything. Wait until you can buy the Nexus direct from Google though, as T-mobile charges extra for it though their is no difference between their branded version and the unlocked version from Google.

As a side note, the Nexus is sold as a 4g phone (not 4g LTE which is much faster), but there is a dormant 4g LTE chip inside the Nexus. It comes paired with the Nexus's processor so Google had no choice but to include it. It will only work on band 4 (1700Mhz) which is where T-Mobiles LTE will be when they finally deploy it next year. AT&T also uses band 4 in a half dozen or so cities currently. Its just a few setting changes away from being activated if your in the right city.

Last edited:

As far as I know, T-Mobile has merged with Metro PCS. I surmise the main reason people go with the "normal" plans is because many buy the phones under a subsidized price point in exchange for a two-year service agreement. For example, retailers such as Best Buy offer the Galaxy SIII for something around $150-200 in exchange for a two-year agreement. It lowers the initial buy-in but you pay for it in the long run because an individual plan under those agreements are around $100/monthly, for starters. An unlocked Galaxy SIII through a retailer like Best Buy is $750. That's $200 more than an unlocked Galaxy SIII on T-Mobile's site ($550). I think those box retailers are boosting the unlocked prices to give incentive to sign a service agreement. The retailer most likely gets a nice kickback from the providers. The sticker shock of a $550-$800 phone is probably enough to get people to sign a service agreement for higher monthly rates just to get the device they desire. That's why the Nexus 4 was so enticing. Its price point is ridiculously low ($350). Personally I think the phone is priced too low in that it greatly contributes to the shortages of the device. LG can't keep up with the demand.

As far as the Vonage option goes I think I said the Vonage option is viable. If I implied otherwise then my apologies. Because of my limited minutes I'm using Google Voice and Vonage to spare the 100 minutes on my T-Mobile plan. As far as I understand you can move a Verizon iPhone to AT&T but it either needs to be "jail broken" or unlocked by AT&T.

Deleted double post, not sure how that happened?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. Basically I thnk what you guys are saying is that it is stupid to stay on a network once your contract is over, but I have done that several times for months an even years waiting in a particular "new" phone.

I am spending $1300-1500 a year on my cell phone bills... in a two yer contract thats $2600-3000 so buying a phone for even $700 is not that big a deal and seems like the wise thing to do. So what's the best way to stay on Verizon's network? It's the only network that gives me reception at home. Is this possible? Is Page Plus the name of a provider? Never heard of them before.

The gsm phones give you more flexibility if you are traveling overseas like me. Straight talk, simple mobile and t mobile have good plans and decent customer service. The T-Mobile hspa is just as fast as LTE in some areas.

Just took a look at page plus. They do seem to use the Verizon network. Are they the only one? $55/month unlimited talk and text and 2GB data which is probably enough for me. Just wondering if I can use my current Verizon iPhone since they don't offer one? It doesn't have a SIM card as its Verizon, can I jailbreak this and use it? I know I'm asking the tough questions now.

I had Nextel/Sprint for years and the coverage in my area just got worse and worse. I shopped all the providers and plans. I ended up with T- Mobile as the network has great coverage in my area, and the same plan from Verizon was $150/month plus taxes and fees. I have unlimited talk/text w/ 2g data for $90/month all in + insurance cause I am in construction industry.

The prepaid plan can be bought at Walmart and 7-11 stores for $50/month

Last edited:
Just took a look at page plus. They do seem to use the Verizon network. Are they the only one? $55/month unlimited talk and text and 2GB data which is probably enough for me. Just wondering if I can use my current Verizon iPhone since they don't offer one? It doesn't have a SIM card as its Verizon, can I jailbreak this and use it? I know I'm asking the tough questions now.

Like I said earlier, I set my wife up with a Page Plus phone when we left AT&T; Though I'm no expert, I'll give what info I can.

I purchased her a droid 3 about 18 months ago to use on Page Plus. I bought a Verizon phone and it activated without issue. Since page plus uses Verizon's network I did not have to root the phone or do anything to "free" it from Verizon. Page Plus will ask for the MEID number for the phone (phone's serial number) but that is it. I believe I was told it just had to be free of a contract, not reported stolen, and not tied to an account with a past due bill.

The only potential problem I remember was that Page Plus did not have Droid 3 as an option when telling them (online form on their website) what phone I was activating. I picked another Motorola phone, but hopefully they have an iPhone option. With that said, even though I told them I had a different phone, the Droid has worked perfect. A quick Google search shows merchants willing to activate an iPhone 4 or 4s on page plus (for a fee) so I'm sure it's possible. I'd try and do it yourself before paying anyone as it was quite simple. I set up automatic payments so it hardly feels like prepaid as I don't have to log in or buy minutes every month. On the 15/16th I get a auto withdraw from my checking account and my wife gets a text saying her plan has renewed. Easy.

Also, as a note if it matters to you, I ported over our my wife's existing number to Page Plus without issue. When you port the number over it will automatically close your account at Verizon. My previous account was with AT&T and I had to give PagePlus my AT&T password so they could provide it to AT&T with my request as proof the request was legitimate. I suppose I could have declined to give out my password and called AT&T myself but that seemed like more work.

In short: I purchased the plan I wanted from the Page Plus website, then went through their activation process. They contacted AT&T to port my number over, I didn't do anything. A day or so later AT&T called, confirmed the port, and advised me I had to pay my last bill then the account would close.

I would check with Verizon and determine the best date to do this. AT&T told me even though I was only 2 days into my billing cycle they would not prorate my last month (I had been with them for approx. 6 years) so those 2 days were going to cost me the full 150 dollars. I refused to pay it, canceled my auto pay and removed all my bank account information from their website. I paid the bill for my last full month, but they never actually billed me for those 2 days. I'm not sure if my phone calls to customer service prompted them to change their mind or if it was an accounting error, and I obviously never brought it to their attention. I'd start the porting process with 3-5 business days left in your current month so you don't run into a similar problem.

Let me know how it goes if you walk down this road.

Last edited:
I just heard about 'ting' on a podcast.
It's owned by tucows (been around computer software and domain registration for decades).
They use Sprints towers and it's cheap.
https://ting.com/

Just for a test, I went to their custom plans and put in 500 minutes, 1000 texts, and 1gig of data. Came out to $44/month.
When my contract is up with Sprint, I'm going to try them out.

Last edited:
Back