• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

North Chicago NSXers

sid said:
That's the one! I have given them a deposit and am very serious. I would be forever indebted to you if you could take a look and give me your honest opinion.

Regards,

Sid

Sid,
Did you take delivery yet?

Actually I decided to pass (sort of). I'm sure the NSX is very nice and I have nothing but praise for The Last Detail. However, when I originally gave them a deposit, I asked about service records and was assured that everything was fine. Not quite. Apparently in the last three years the car has only had a single oil change. The 30,000 mile service had not been done, nor had the timing belt or water pump been replaced (probably not necessary). I asked TLD to share part of this expense and they declined. (Please keeep in mind that althought the car was priced well, I had not negotiated on the price). They also would not provide the previous owners information so that I could possibly alleviate my concerns. I probably could have resolved the concerns if I didn't live clear accross the country.

I am posting this because I have been emailed by other individuals interested the car. Hopefully some deserving soul will provide a good home for this NSX. Thank you to all the Chicago NSXers for your time and efforts on my behalf. I hope to be back soon.

Best regards,
Sid

Apparently in the last three years the car has only had a single oil change.

This is a bit difficult to prove, and may not be a correct statement. I do my own changes every three-thousand miles. I do not keep receipts of the oil I buy at Auto Zone nor for the filter from the dealership. So if someone is looking to purchase my NSX, they will incorrectly draw a similar conclusion. Now in my service records, there is an occasional receipt from the dealership, showing an oil change, if the car was already there having some other work done, but you will not find thirty oil change receipts in my file.

The 30,000 mile service had not been done......

Other than the air filter, engine oil / filter and transmission fluid being replaced at the 30k service interval, the only other "important" task is to flush the brake fluid and adjust the valve clearance. But if the car had not been abused, these two items could easily wait a few thousand miles until you got home. The 30k also lists to inspect items, which is often not much more than a casual look-over. So to imply that a 30k service is a major milestone like the 90k, this is incorrect.

Assuming the "one oil change in three years" pretense is false, there was no real reason not to buy that car. I'm not picking a fight, but as we strive for perfection, let's not forget that in the grand scheme little things will pop up.

Regardless of my position on this car, good luck in your search.

Back