• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX After-market Speaker plates

NSX After-market Speaker Mounting Plates - Rev 2!

I have made a template for replacement door speakers for the NSX and can supply these to interested parties

See my installation at New Noisemaker thread.

I can supply these new Rev 2 editions without the requirement for rear Bose shells as a backer (like in my set-up) with tabs so they fit independently. These will match up perfectly to your stock location - no drilling or modification of your door or door-panel required.
The test fit is solid & I have decided not to offer the Bose shell version now (unless someone really insists I can probably do them) - the new one is much better I believe and means you can sell your Bose units intact.
I can also customize the speaker mounting hole to match your requirements - 5.25"; 6" or 6.5" as required, or even leave the "hole" un-cut if you prefer to make your own. These are made of 1/2" MDF, nice dense medium for a substrate. Should be adequate room to mount your crossover on the rear section.
Do I need to mention no speakers included?
Any questions, ask away.

Now $85 shipped

(similar product $120 plus shipping at Dali)

Completely replaces the OEM Bose assembly

Attachments

• pattern 002.jpg
    pattern 002.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5,719
Last edited:
This shows the mount in the door panel, clears perfectly:

Attachments

• pattern 009.jpg
    pattern 009.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 4,500
Last edited:
Speaker Plates

I would be very interested in getting a set of your plates. Thanks for doing such a good job on making them and documenting your work on the previous string. Do you have any suggestions for:

-whether it is better to use the shell vs the plate only? Better or worse security of the mounting?
- speaker components to replace the not so reliable Bose speakers and amp while retaining the OEM head unit?

Rod

Edit: 12/14/03
Hi Rod
I used the bose shell myself on my application but on my ZX TT just used the plain sheet. The plain one will be just fine - I test -fit on my own car to be sure all lined up perfectly.
I modified the template a little from my Rev 1 to give a little more surface area for the crossover if one is utilized. The non-shell unit certainly is slightly slimmer fit too, acommodating a bulky C/O more readily.
Security of mounting will be similar - replace stock screws with 1" #8 into the plastic plugs in the door, same locations.
One of these days I'll get around to replacing my own mk1 shell units with the new one-piece. The Bose-shell unit is no longer being offered as I think the new one is superior.
edit: on my latest upgrade I have gone with the new one-piece model. See them here (actually I have a double section on the face of mine because my speakers are extra deep - custom features like this can be accommodated if desired)

Stock head is fine initially - you can always upgrade that later when time/budget permits for even better performance. For an new single din head, you can get Science Of Speed center console

There are so many options out there for speakers & amp, it's hard to give a recommendation w/o knowing your budget & general taste.

Last edited:
Awesome plates

Ken, I just got my plates today. I have to tell you the quality is outstanding. I have a couple of buddies that are interested as well. I will pm you for more info. Thank you again.

Just received this awesome part. Definitely high quality as mentioned. My only note is that some cross overs that are really fat, such as the Boston Pros, may require the space currently taken by the rear of the template. So, it may be helpful to remove the rear portion for some setups.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris@SoS said:
Just received this awesome part. Definitely high quality as mentioned. My only note is that some cross overs that are really fat, such as the Boston Pros, may require the space currently taken by the rear of the template. So, it may be helpful to remove the rear portion for some setups.
Thanks Chris - definitely reasonable observation on the cross-over issue, more especially with high-end speakers where the C/O's tend to be pretty big - I had to do the same thing with my own set-up on the CDT's. It should be relatively simple for anyone using these to just chop the tail section off and screw the crossover directly to the door if necessary. There isn't much room between the door trim panel & the door frame in that area unfortunately so every little might help. I think something like MB Quarts & JL audio's will work with the mounting whole (yes Whole, not hole - LOL!!!)
I think it is still best to have the flexibility the way it is and give the end-user the ability to use the more-stable deck if it will work w/o having to cut it.
The CDT's are quite large & a pretty tight squeeze, but they do go in there.

Last edited:
I would like a pair, please pm and let me know how to set up payment etc...
thanks,
woody

what is the purpose?

What is the purpose of these plates besides a mounting poiint for the speaker .
Do they act as an enclosure? I have Kicker component speakers mountind on rings in the old speaker location. I am interested in a better mounting. do these help acoustically

The dense medium will reduce resonance by providing a solid platform. Can also be further improved by covering with Dynamat or similar, especially if you seal off the face to the door skin for an infinite baffle.

Is this MDF material waterproof? I thought it was a form of compressed wood or is it the new plastic wood they are using for kitchen cabinets? Otherwise it looks great and I would probably be interested in a set.

:p

ATERPAK said:
Is this MDF material waterproof? I thought it was a form of compressed wood or is it the new plastic wood they are using for kitchen cabinets? Otherwise it looks great and I would probably be interested in a set. :p
MDF
Not waterproof per se although it is extremely dense - it's a compound made from extremely fine wood partcles (literally dust) and resin and indeed used widely in the furniture industry due to its machinability & uniform smooth surface that takes an excellent finish, even stains & varnishes. Do not confuse with that used in the bodies of "cheaper" cabinets which often use particle board, a vastly inferior product.
I think they would survive just fine, even in relatively high humidity conditions (which CA is not of course) and they are not being exposed to direct water in this application. I would recommend painting them for the cost of a couple of spray cans of primer & finish, (it takes a fabulous paint finish due to the extremely fine surface finish - minimal additional sanding or prep should be required)
Better yet cover them with Dynamat, available at most stereo stores, cct city etc, which will improve the acoustical properties even further.
Dynamat FAQ

Last edited:
Have you ever thought of making them out of some plastic which can be cut just as easily. I'm interested but still worried about them getting wet from normal water intake when driving in the rain. I'm definitlely interested in a template and would be willilng to pay you for that using a 6 /12" cutout. I will then make my own out of some surplus nylon I can get. Please believe me in that I will not try to make these for sale to any other persons period. I will honor the integrity of your product for other prospective customers.

Private email me at [email protected] if that might work.

:)

ATERPAK said:
Have you ever thought of making them out of some plastic which can be cut just as easily.
Actually plastic is not a very good medium - it does not machine well as it tends to melt from the heat of the cutter, especially a nylon compound.
Also I have serious doubts about plastics' suitability in this application as it lacks rigidity in this flat design, w/o any stiffening braces. It will tend to resonate and be exactly everything you don't want in a speaker mount.
If you are set on this, I'll try to accommodate something with you. We can take this off line but I wanted to respond to the plastics question for general info.

D'Ecosse, i saw in your previous post that you made yourself a Sub box, will you be making those for the public to ? how much please? thanks!

chris

supra2porsche2nsx said:
... Sub box.... will you be making those for the public to ? how much please?
Sorry Chris, not at this time. Thanks for your interest & the compliment however.
You're the second one to ask today & I've actually had quite a number of inquiries previously to make more. But it is really a lot of work & I'm not set up to make multiples of the glass shell - let alone have the time right now.
I may work out a mould or license a third party to manufacture them to my design in the future, but not ready to go there yet.

D'E,
I had my door panel open the other day because I was waiting for the window fix-it-things to arrive. Anyway, it was raining and it was dripping very close to the bose hole; there was alot of water. So my question is, if you don't use the shell wouldn't the rain drip on the after market speakers (assuming no one is using "boss speakers", cause who cares if they get wet. just buy new ones) during the raining seasons? or maybe its a isolated case for me? Just wanted to let y'know.
Fros7 ;)

Fros7 said:
D'E,
Anyway, it was raining and it was dripping very close to the bose hole; there was alot of water

Not a problem, automotive door speakers are designed to get wet. Most of the paper coned speakers are treated with aquaplast or some other water resistant chemical.

Crutchfield does sell these foam speaker baffles that can keep the back of the speaker dry. The risk you take is that you might end up sealing the speaker and creating an enclosure for which your speaker was not designed thus affecting the performance. You could probably get around that by cutting the bottom half out.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MkBs3wmNNyn/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=762&I=237XT60&search=xtc

Had a number of inquiries recently - yes, these are still available.
Still same price at $85 shipped in lower 48 - actual shipping elsewhere.
Add +$15 for custom hole cut-out (std. is 5-3/4" for 6-1/2" speaker)

I also recently received Ken's templates and am very impressed.
I started to make my own, but there is no way that they would have come out as nice. Even though they will be hidden behind the door panels, it is nice to know that everything in the car is of a high quality.

Thanks Ken!

Nate in DC

So how do I get some?

Back